Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD internal transfer in Year 1!?!?!

Options
  • 25-08-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I got 515 in my leaving cert and got offered Psychology in UCD.

I am pretty sure I want to pursue psychology but sometimes I think I might prefer the Human Nutrition course in UCD that required 520 cao points this year.

Provided I have good grades in the first stage of psychology - what would my chances be of getting the transfer into Human Nutrition and also, what implications could there be for fees?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Non existent, I'll bet. Human nutrition is a BSc, Pysch is a BA, so it'd be a change between departments. Doing that requires a new CAO application, and while you can get credit for anything you did in the pysch year, i think you'll still be applying with LC points. Plus you will have to pay full fees for first year of Human Nutrition, which is ~15 grand.

Points may go down in the latter rounds though, and you can switch courses if you get a late offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paramore

thanks.

i think a second round offer is unlikely cos the human nutrition course is so small.

so you're completely ruling out a transfer? thats a bit of a bummer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Raphael wrote: »
    Non existent, I'll bet. Human nutrition is a BSc, Pysch is a BA, so it'd be a change between departments. Doing that requires a new CAO application, and while you can get credit for anything you did in the pysch year, i think you'll still be applying with LC points. Plus you will have to pay full fees for first year of Human Nutrition, which is ~15 grand.

Points may go down in the latter rounds though, and you can switch courses if you get a late offer.

Are you sure about this? Check ucd sem1 transfer regs to confirm. To emhance your chances pick a core module from nutrition as your elective in pysch. If you can find any other common link avail of it. You will also need to have met the cap points of the rising class in nutrition. Finally eu fees of 15k sound v high.....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

paramore wrote: »
    so you're completely ruling out a transfer? thats a bit of a bummer....

AFAIK, the way an internal transfer works is that if you do similar modules you can apply to change. When I was in 1st year I wanted to change from Commerce to Arts, some of the modules in Comm can also be classed as arts subjects, eg Economics and Maths so the programme office told me that if i passed those, along with the electives i was doing which were art subjects, and this added up to 40 credits, i could be eligible for an internal transfer!
    Sounds very confusing I know but basically if some of the classes you'd be taking for 1st yr psych are similar to 1st yr nutrition you might be able to! Best talk to the programme office anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Raphael wrote: »

While it will be difficult it's not the case. You don't apply via the CAO but rather to UCD's Admissions. The school to which you're apply to has to be okay to accept you and Admissions must approve it. The courses must be very similar so in OP's case it probably wouldn't work. Contact the schools to make sure and check http://www.ucd.ie/apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 paramore

thanks so much everyone.

i'll contact the admissions office first thing tomorrow. but if i did transfer i'd definitely have to pay 15 grand for the year? is that a once off? sounds horribly expensive :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

I've just checked and EU fees for Human Nutrition are ~€7.5k. Also, I just realised, that in transfer situations particularly after 1 semester, you are continuing your studies, not restarting therefore fees will not be applicable to you. You should contact admissions@ucd.ie to get the exact info though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

TDOie wrote: »
    While it will be difficult it's not the case. You don't apply via the CAO but rather to UCD's Admissions. The school to which you're apply to has to be okay to accept you and Admissions must approve it. The courses must be very similar so in OP's case it probably wouldn't work. Contact the schools to make sure and check http://www.ucd.ie/apply

Wrong.
    2.1 Transfer to Stage One (Internal and External)
    2.1.1 This section applies to students who are currently undertaking a programme of study in UCD or in another third level institution and wish to transfer to the first stage of a different programme of study in UCD. The programme transfer is made via CAO (see section 2.1.4

If you are doing a stage 1 transfer, i.e. leaving your degree and starting different one you reapply through the CAO. You pay fees for the course, though if you leave sooner you can skip some.

It is possible to transfer from part way through one degree to partway through another, which does involve applying through UCD, but you need to have done the required modules for the stage you want to skip past.

Human Nutrition has 9 core modules in stage 1, and 1 option, chosen from 2. None of these modules are available done with pyschology, except through electives. Meaning you can do 2 of them - 4 if you pay a lot, and work way too hard.

If you do a stage 1 application, however, you can get credit of prior learning for the modules you've done, and that way you can cover all your electives and 2 of the first year modules. And as someone mentioned, fees are apparently only €7.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lboylan

sorry to bring this back up, but i too am also considering an internal transfer, i'm currently in the commerce program (year one semester one) but looking for a transfer to commerce international. As far as I can see, i do 4/5 of commerce international's semester one core modules. I got 535 in my leaving and a B3 in French so I meet all the entry requirements, would I too be subject to huge fees to do this does anyone know? and would the transfer be more likely to happen than in the above situation?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 1steph

Sorry to drag up this thread again but I'm just wondering if there would be any possibility of transferring into computer science from general science in first year if the electives taken in the science degree were computer science based and maths was taken? Just can't seem to choose between them so wondering if this transfer would be a possibility? (I'm currently in 6th year but just out of curiosity)

• Advertisement
Advertisement