Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner party Sat - want to be at the table...

Options
  • 25-08-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a dinner party Sat night with my parents and their best friends. it promises to be a great night so I'd like to cook something in advance that I can simply serve up at little notice as we may have apperatifs etc. I cooked a beef bourgigone last weekend and am considering this, but any other suggestions? I was thinking of a roast leg of lamb with roast potatoes and french beans. I'd like a bit of wow factor if possible and not too worried about the budget. I'd love to try lobster but again, I'd be in and out of the kitchen. I have some really good fois gras that I brought back from France so perhaps something with this?

I have my dessert sorted (the strawberries in balsamic vinagrette with lemon yogurt and creme fraiche mix). Any interesting starters?

Thanks in advance!
    CP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

How about a rack of lamb or a crown roast? Dauphinoies (sp?) potatoes, spinach etc? Or try and order a really large fish that you could roast and serve on the table.

Scallops make a great starter. Or something with prawns. Quick and easy once the prep is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Scallops pan fried on fried black pudding and some salad leaves is good (though if they dont like Scallops...) or goats cheese cut into 1cm or thicker wheels grilled lightly until warm and starting to melt, ground fresh black pepper on top and then sprinkle with pine nuts and server with rocket and raspberry coulis (or raspberry jam mixed with bals vin works too!)

Mains of leg of lamb - you cant go too far wrong here. If they are fishy people maybe do a whole salmon stuffed with herbs and lemon, wrapped in newspaper and then soak the paper and stick it in the oven for I think 40 mins and it comes out devine...

Enjoy what ever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

Thanks for those. We've actually been rain-checked by my parents :o.

Advertisement