Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant stick the smell

• 25-08-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Just wondering if someone cud give me a bit of advice, i have a shih tzu he's 3 yrs old and there is an overpowering smell of ammonia off his pee, he always has fresh water and is in good health (i hope), is this normal or is a visit to the vet in order??????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Am I right in thinking he is not neutered?

There is a really horrible stench sometimes from male dogs urine when they are not neutered.
    Also, he might need to be groomed if the hair underneath that area is wet over a long period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I was going to ask the same. Is he entire? Males that are left entire can have quite a strong smell off their urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

he was neutered when he was 1, and fully groomed 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If it is a fishy smell (lovely!) you will need to see your vet - this can indicate a dermal, penile lining or UTI infection. There may also be a smell and/or discharge from his penis, but this may not be present at all. A swab may need to be taken to clarify what is causing the infection and appropriate antibiotics will need to be given. Bring a urine sample to your vet so see if there is anything dodgy going on just to be safe and they can decide whether you will need a swab taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

Thanks for the replies, i think a trip to the vet is in order just to be on safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Has the dog access to go out when ever needed or has he to hold until someone is in to let him out? Cos if he's holding waiting for someone to let him out the urine will become more concentrated and smell worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

It definitely sounds like an infection.I hope he is ok.:)

Advertisement