Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S/NES Consoles

• 25-08-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/b76e/

Anyone got one of these or something similar?

Thinking of getting one and picking up some cheap NES and SNES carts on ebay.

I'd mainly want Mario Kart, Metroid and Starfox for the SNES, which I've heard a lot of knock off consoles have difficulty with.

Never heard of any NES games being particularly quirky so I think I'll be okay there.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Make sure you get the right version of it. If you get a 60Hz one and want to play PAL games you'll end up with timing issues in a lot of games which can mean glitchy games. If you haven't started collecting already you should get a 60 Hz machine and then buy American games since they are cheaper and you won't have to put up with borders and slowdown that PAL games had. There's a few very good PAL exclusives like the Firemen and Terranigma but if you want them my advice is get a cheap SNES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No games right now and the plan was to get NTSC carts.

Is that machine the best of them or is there a better one?

I know there are machines that do Genesis too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Would it not interest you more to pick up a second-hand original, OP? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problems with these machines can be the cheap circuitry in them and cheap chips. What you find is that the sound from these machines isn't great with a lot more interference or not replicating the samples perfectly. It's fine for the untrained ear but for someone like me that loves videogame music then it feels a bit off. I'd say go for NTSC machines but again the problem is finding them with cheap postage from the states since NTSC machines don't come up on ebay that often. For the SNES you can get a PAL machine modify it so that it's region free with a 50/60 Hz switch. However there's no way to add 60Hz to a NES PAL system so you'd need to get an NTSC machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I've played a few Retro duos, controllers are total garbage.
    Some games run like a turd on it with glitchy borders all over the screen.

• Advertisement

Yeahsome of the later games that use hardware tricks can be glitchy when the hardware in the Duo's doesn't match the original harware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, you stick in a copy of Starwing/fox and you get full speed with a big black bar down the screen or something equally distracting from saving the universe.

Better just buy the real hardware and enjoy it as it should be.

The most expensive part of collecting tends to be the constant demand for more carts rather than the initial outlay for the console itself.

I had a game that ran like a turd once!
    Turned out it was Golden Axe and it was supposed to be that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's not the expense, SNESs and NESs can be picked up really cheap.

It's the convenience of not having several more consoles cluttered around the telly.

Well you can get one if you want but the experience will be far from authentic and there'll be a few games that will give you trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I don't see why anyone would want a clone system. Original hardware is readily available online and sometimes at car boots. You're also guaranteed it'll play all the games and the sound will be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,732 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get a PAL console, for real nostalgia - PAL50 slowdowns and all ;)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Get a PAL console, for real nostalgia - PAL50 slowdowns and all ;)

Ugh... don't even joke about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lorfarius

I don't see why anyone would want a clone system. Original hardware is readily available online and sometimes at car boots. You're also guaranteed it'll play all the games and the sound will be perfect.

The biggest benefit is the ease of playing imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If only I could go backwards to the past. Do many pal games now to bother to start to collect NTSC.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    If only I could go backwards to the past. Do many pal games now to bother to start to collect NTSC.

Same with me and my N64 collection. I've got maybe 3 games left until I own every game I'll ever want on the system but most of them at PAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just mod your PAL Snes system and play your PAL games at 60hz. Most run fine.

Advertisement