Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom & Zyxel modems

Options
  • 25-08-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I realise that this is going to sound like trolling, but my question is genuine.
    Given the amount of complaints /posts in various forums (and I'm talking just here on Boards.ie) it is quite obvious that there is a serious problem with these units.

When I took out my contract, I agreed to pay for a service 'up to xxxMb'. Eircom undertook to provide the line and the service and supplied an official modem in order for me to make use of the service/ as part of the package - there was no requirement on my part to supply my own modem.

The current situation, is that these modems (or the embedded Eircom firmware) are, for whatever reason, defective and users cannot make full use of the service. Calls to the help desk are fruitless (I can vouch to this) and serve only to generate frustration with an endless litany repeat of the same useless 'tests'.

The failure on Eircom's part to resolve the problem, so far, is that users are being actively encouraged to buy their own modems. As far as I can see from the T&C's, if you supply your own modem then you are not entitled to tech support from Eircom.

Effectively that means that should a problem arise, I need to quickly disconnect my modem, connect the Zyxel,phone support....then pray.
    This does not sound like an optimal way of doing things. I don't know anything about business law, but is this not bordering on a breach of the terms of contract by Eircom?

I'd like to know what Eircom is actively doing to resolve the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Italia wrote: »
    I realise that this is going to sound like trolling, but my question is genuine.
    Given the amount of complaints /posts in various forums (and I'm talking just here on Boards.ie) it is quite obvious that there is a serious problem with these units.

When I took out my contract, I agreed to pay for a service 'up to xxxMb'. Eircom undertook to provide the line and the service and supplied an official modem in order for me to make use of the service/ as part of the package - there was no requirement on my part to supply my own modem.

The current situation, is that these modems (or the embedded Eircom firmware) are, for whatever reason, defective and users cannot make full use of the service. Calls to the help desk are fruitless (I can vouch to this) and serve only to generate frustration with an endless litany repeat of the same useless 'tests'.

The failure on Eircom's part to resolve the problem, so far, is that users are being actively encouraged to buy their own modems. As far as I can see from the T&C's, if you supply your own modem then you are not entitled to tech support from Eircom.

Effectively that means that should a problem arise, I need to quickly disconnect my modem, connect the Zyxel,phone support....then pray.
    This does not sound like an optimal way of doing things. I don't know anything about business law, but is this not bordering on a breach of the terms of contract by Eircom?

I'd like to know what Eircom is actively doing to resolve the problem.

Hi Italia
    There have been issues with some modems, and issues with internal media servers connection protocol dlna (ie apple Mac tv, for which we now have a fix).
    However I have taken connection and sync test on your own line and can see that there may be an issue ( speed setting) which is responsible for your drops.
    Can you PM me your tel. number just to confirm I have the correct one details ( from an earlier case) and should be able to resolve this for you.
    Let me know and will reply immed.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Tony,
    thanks for the reply. I can't comment on your line tests, but there is currently nothing wrong (as far as I can tell) with my connection or transfer speeds. I'm definitely not suffering any drops or outages. No I am not using the Zyxel, hence my stability for the last 7-8 months.

I'm really not trying to score brownie points here and I do appreciate the fact that you work for Eircom and are allowed only to do or say so much (I've nothing but good to say about the service in these forums), but I think you're overlooking the point.

Whilst there surely have been the issues you mentioned, the real issue is the actual modems. There are simply too many people complaining about the same things (on Boards.ie alone, but other blogs are full as well) for it to be mere coincidence - wireless connection dropping after 5-20sec, online gaming problems, streaming issues, rebooting issues...the list is probably as long as my arm. The vast majority of users say that their problems were automagically solved simply by replacing the modem with another brand :eek:

Without harping on the point too much, the reality is that these applicances are duds (or maybe its just the Eircom customised firmware that is the issue) and no amount of denial by Eircom is going to change this.

I can assure you that if/when my Netgear packs in, I'll use the Zyxel whilst waiting for the replacement (currently I'm leaning towards a Draytek Vigor 2820). The first hint of trouble, I'll call the help line and I'll eat alive the poor agent that tries to tell me to power on and off my pc etc etc (you know what I mean). :D

So, my question still stands - what are Eircom doing to resolve this? Maybe the question should be - are there any plans to offer a different modem to the one currently shipped out?
    Hi Italia
    There have been issues with some modems, and issues with internal media servers connection protocol dlna (ie apple Mac tv, for which we now have a fix).
    However I have taken connection and sync test on your own line and can see that there may be an issue ( speed setting) which is responsible for your drops.
    Can you PM me your tel. number just to confirm I have the correct one details ( from an earlier case) and should be able to resolve this for you.
    Let me know and will reply immed.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I can assure you that if/when my Netgear packs in, I'll use the Zyxel whilst waiting for the replacement (currently I'm leaning towards a Draytek Vigor 2820). The first hint of trouble, I'll call the help line and I'll eat alive the poor agent that tries to tell me to power on and off my pc etc etc (you know what I mean). :D
    ?

That would be the move of someone who is not a nice person.

If you look at the smiley at the end, its said tongue in cheek.....;)
    That would be the move of someone who is not a nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What's an emoticon? :pac:

Anyway.... the Eircom zyxel is a P660hw-t1, version 3, right?
    If so, there are other providers who supply this modem, who don't experience such issues such as the clusterf**k that's happening with the Eircom-branded ones.
    Surely, it must be some issue with the customized firmware?

If so, Eircom reps, are there any firmware updates in the pipeline to resolve this issue?

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    What's an emoticon? :pac:

Anyway.... the Eircom zyxel is a P660hw-t1, version 3, right?
    If so, there are other providers who supply this modem, who don't experience such issues such as the clusterf**k that's happening with the Eircom-branded ones.
    Surely, it must be some issue with the customized firmware?

If so, Eircom reps, are there any firmware updates in the pipeline to resolve this issue?

Hi Roast
    I will get the most recent status on firmware updates, will post this next week. To my knowledge the model supplied by eircom and other providers are same with same firmware support from supplier.
    Will get this info for you as early next week as I can.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Lol, well played :p

Hi Roast
    I will get the most recent status on firmware updates, will post this next week. To my knowledge the model supplied by eircom and other providers are same with same firmware support from supplier.
    Will get this info for you as early next week as I can.
    Tony

Cheers Tony.
    It's different firmware. Zyxel ship the latest firmware (as of the date of the original commission) to that ISP, who then customize it for use with their particular service. Not just the branding can be modified though, any particular settings default values can be modified, options can be added or removed or "behind-the-scenes" values can be modified also.

Without knowing the specifics of the exact issue, My guess is that something has gone awry with the "always-on" or "nailed-up-connection" option/code in the router. That setting works perfectly fine on modems provided by other networks, on other networks, and on eircoms. Might be a nice bit o' feedback for the codemonkeys working on it, just in case it helps. :D

There was something else I was going to suggest... but I forgot. :rolleyes:

Alternatively, why not release a firmware version that allows users to update directly from the manufacturer, something that CANNOT be done at present?

Alternatively, why not release a firmware version that allows users to update directly from the manufacturer, something that CANNOT be done at present?

Because each firmware release would need to be customized.
    The updates which are direct from the manufacturer, designed for any ISP, which may support certain features which are only applicable to some networks.

These options and settings may need to be removed from ISP-branded ones to avoid potential issues.

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Because each firmware release would need to be customized.
    The updates which are direct from the manufacturer, designed for any ISP, which may support certain features which are only applicable to some networks.

These options and settings may need to be removed from ISP-branded ones to avoid potential issues.

Thanks for the posts Italia and Roast, I have raised both these issues ( a. firmware version that allows users to update directly from the manufacturer, b. "always-on" or "nailed-up-connection" option/code error in the router ) with support and product, I hope to have a reply later this week.
    I would imagine they are aware of the issues mentioned, but a little push can't hurt;)
    Anyhow thanks for the post and hope I can add to these.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I've had two zyxel modems fried by lightning. Will switch to a different brand next time as they seem to be very sensitive!

I've had two zyxel modems fried by lightning. Will switch to a different brand next time as they seem to be very sensitive!
    Hi boatbuilder
    was either of these within their contract period when this happened?? May be able to replace if so. We have not noticed any particular susceptibility to lightning in the zyxel, not more than any other modem at least..
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I'm going to chime in here.
    I have been using one of the Eircom supplied Zyxel routers also, and have had the following ongoing problems.

1. Wireless connection stops. PC remains connected, but no traffic.
    2. DHCP server stops issuing addresses.
    3. Outgoing connection hangs.

A power cycle generally resolves these. I have hard reset on a couplf of occasions also, but the problems return.

A couple of weeks back, I dug out the old Netopia and installed that, and it's working much better, however, it doesn't do DHCP reservations, so isn't suitable long-term.

There seems to be plenty other people experiencing problems with these routers, as a google will show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

modems of any brand dont stand much if any chance when hit by lightning. the same goes for all electrical items unless there is lightning protection to ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

gerryk wrote: »
    I'm going to chime in here.
    I have been using one of the Eircom supplied Zyxel routers also, and have had the following ongoing problems.

1. Wireless connection stops. PC remains connected, but no traffic.
    2. DHCP server stops issuing addresses.
    3. Outgoing connection hangs.

A power cycle generally resolves these. I have hard reset on a couplf of occasions also, but the problems return.

A couple of weeks back, I dug out the old Netopia and installed that, and it's working much better, however, it doesn't do DHCP reservations, so isn't suitable long-term.

There seems to be plenty other people experiencing problems with these routers, as a google will show.

Hi gerryk,

Thanks for post and apologies for the delay.

If the only way to resolve the Zyxel modem, assigning IP addresses over DHCP, is to restart the modem, then this sounds like a problem with the modem.

You should call into Broadband Support to test your modem and if necessary they can replace the modem if it's faulty.

Both Zyxel and Netopia (eircom modems) are standard modems, although they are setup by default for DHCP.

You may need to look at other options /or modems with more advanced features if you wish to configure specific IP Addresses on your LAN. This may allow you more scope for setup, like DHCP reservations.

Before calling into Broadband Support you may wish to do a hard reset on your modem first.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Best regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi Ant... thanks for the reply. I will give support a call. I am pretty confident that the router is faulty, but it would be no harm to get it confirmed, and replaced, if possible.
    The DHCP reservation facility does exist in the Zyxel router, but not in the Netopia, so I would be keen to regain that if possible.
    I have done a number of hard (to factory) resets, but the problems have always returned.
    Best regards,
    Gerry
    Hi gerryk,

Thanks for post and apologies for the delay.

If the only way to resolve the Zyxel modem, assigning IP addresses over DHCP, is to restart the modem, then this sounds like a problem with the modem.

You should call into Broadband Support to test your modem and if necessary they can replace the modem if it's faulty.

Both Zyxel and Netopia (eircom modems) are standard modems, although they are setup by default for DHCP.

You may need to look at other options /or modems with more advanced features if you wish to configure specific IP Addresses on your LAN. This may allow you more scope for setup, like DHCP reservations.

Before calling into Broadband Support you may wish to do a hard reset on your modem first.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Best regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

gerryk wrote: »
    Hi Ant... thanks for the reply. I will give support a call. I am pretty confident that the router is faulty, but it would be no harm to get it confirmed, and replaced, if possible.
    The DHCP reservation facility does exist in the Zyxel router, but not in the Netopia, so I would be keen to regain that if possible.
    I have done a number of hard (to factory) resets, but the problems have always returned.
    Best regards,
    Gerry

Thanks Gerry,

Let me know how you get on with Tech Support. It sounds like the Zyxel modem is gone, if you need to restart it all the time, and you've already reset.

All the best,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Just want to say after the new piece of crap called ZyXel was replaced by old Netopia router internet is flying without any connection drops..

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

same here, we've had 3 modems busted! Eircom engineer had no answer to it, now as soon as a hint of thunder or lightening there's a mad dash to disconnect the phone line...

and we have lightening protection to ground!

• Advertisement

Lightning is a bitch to control at best, but if your earth-electrode (earthing bar) is not working, its even worse. Have you actually tested it is working?
    I've personally seen 3 separate instances where the earth-bar was pushed down only 30-40cm instead of the 120cm (minimum) specified in the regulations. If going deep is not practical, then it is also acceptable for a 16 mm/sq diameter bar of 4.5m in length can be buried 500mm deep.
    Manzoor14 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Tony,
    thanks for the reply. I can't comment on your line tests, but there is currently nothing wrong (as far as I can tell) with my connection or transfer speeds. I'm definitely not suffering any drops or outages. No I am not using the Zyxel, hence my stability for the last 7-8 months.

I'm really not trying to score brownie points here and I do appreciate the fact that you work for Eircom and are allowed only to do or say so much (I've nothing but good to say about the service in these forums), but I think you're overlooking the point.

Whilst there surely have been the issues you mentioned, the real issue is the actual modems. There are simply too many people complaining about the same things (on Boards.ie alone, but other blogs are full as well) for it to be mere coincidence - wireless connection dropping after 5-20sec, online gaming problems, streaming issues, rebooting issues...the list is probably as long as my arm. The vast majority of users say that their problems were automagically solved simply by replacing the modem with another brand :eek:

Without harping on the point too much, the reality is that these applicances are duds (or maybe its just the Eircom customised firmware that is the issue) and no amount of denial by Eircom is going to change this.

So, my question still stands - what are Eircom doing to resolve this? Maybe the question should be - are there any plans to offer a different modem to the one currently shipped out?

Agreed this modems are a joke, there rubbish. The fact that you cant even update to to new manufacturers firmware is a joke.

I wanna throw this modem out the window its not worth the hassle trying to get wit working anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eusg

experiencing frequent drop outs. wouldn't be too bothered about it but I use VPN connections for access to work so I loose everything every time it drops out.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 braka

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    same here, we've had 3 modems busted! Eircom engineer had no answer to it, now as soon as a hint of thunder or lightening there's a mad dash to disconnect the phone line...

As a former eircom engineer who worked extensively on testing out products connecting to the eircom network, I can add that most of the lightning damage that I investigated came via the ESB supply line.
    During a lightning storm/strike, the ESB voltage (240V a.c.) can get raised a lot higher for an instant, and this in turn can cause the secondary AC and DC (rectified) voltages supplying the actual product (modem/router etc) to go high and burn out the sensitive board components.

A lot of emphasis has been put on Manufacturers to ensure they added lots of protection on the phone line input side (rightly so). Eircom also added protection to their distribution network (poles and cabinets) and this eliminated a lot of lightning damage problems that were coming via the phone line.

It would be interesting to have a look at the Zyxel modems that stopped working just to see what components were damaged (either ESB side or the eircom line side) and if it has happened to many Zyxel's then its more than likely a Zyxel design problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

eusg wrote: »
    experiencing frequent drop outs. wouldn't be too bothered about it but I use VPN connections for access to work so I loose everything every time it drops out.

Hi eusg,

If the drops in connection have only started happening then it is most likely something that can be rectified. Sorry it has caused you hassle with the VPN. If you could PM the phone number I'll run some checks from here and see what can be done to resolve for you.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Im using a Zyxel and have frequent drops too, on another note I just checked the modems settings on its home page and noticed that my 8mb connection is limited to this 5120 kbps /512 kbps. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Since switching to a Zyxel, I've had nothing but connection problems.

Someone mentioned problems with online gaming and several times a day my online game will freeze and not respond and rebooting the modem is the only way to speed it up.

I have to reboot the modem every day-sometimes twice, and I've already gone through all the usual troubleshooting suggestions.
    This never happened when I had the old modem-the silver/grey one (Netopia?) so the problem has to be with the Zyxel.

I've posted in this forum before and Eircom James responded to me but it's just a bit weird how I'm *only* having these issues since I switched to the Zyxel.
    Would be interested to see the outcome of this converstion....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Bsal wrote: »
    Im using a Zyxel and have frequent drops too, on another note I just checked the modems settings on its home page and noticed that my 8mb connection is limited to this 5120 kbps /512 kbps. Is this normal?

Yes this is probably normal, your line is synced at 5Mb as that's the max it can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eusg

Only coming back to the thread. I got this problem resolved. It was nothing to do with the Modem. I had 2 filters installed on my line. The second one was to accommodate 2 telephone handsets. eircom advised me to remove one and it fixed my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

eusg wrote: »
    Only coming back to the thread. I got this problem resolved. It was nothing to do with the Modem. I had 2 filters installed on my line. The second one was to accommodate 2 telephone handsets. eircom advised me to remove one and it fixed my problem.
    Hi eusg

I'm glad to see that this issue is now resolved. Many thanks for your feedback.

Regards

Al

Advertisement