Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D'amigos Steakhouse Clonmel

Options
  • 25-08-2011 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Heya, just sharing an experience we had there last weekend and wondering if others had the same or anything.

D'amigos steakhouse is part of the Posthouse Bar, anyone from the area etc will know it well. I have eaten there many times over the past 5 years, a few weeks ago we had my Stag party there, the dinner anyway, and the staff were friendly but not very efficient and they were a pain when it came to paying separately for the bill, but there was 12 of us, so we didn't really mind sorting it out, we're not unreasonable, that's understandable.

Last weekend though was a whole other level. It took about 15 minutes before our order was taken, without any drinks etc, they were a little busy though so this is to be expected. We kept away from steak, to cut down on wait time. It was still over 60mins until we got our food.

A woman on the next table knocked her side of chips they had just brought her, none of the staff helped her or offered to get her some more. Also while we were eating we could see some of the staff arguing with a couple who had been sitting nearby, not sure what it was about but it was clear they weren't happy about something or the way it was handled, and the staff didn't seem to care or want to help too much.

By the time we were leaving it was mostly empty, the staff were chatting, so we asked for the bill, however she said she was too busy to get it for us so pointed us to some other staff that we should ask, she then went to have a chat with a friend that we saw her chatting with earlier, deffo wasn't too busy to grab our bill for us.

The member of staff who was at the registers was talking away with a customer who had been passing from the smoking area going back to his table, so we gave him a second so as not to interrupt, but he continued to ignore us, looked at us a few times but just kept talking. It took a few mins before he gave us attention. They wouldn't let us pay separately even though the place was almost empty and the orders were simple, but he was nice enough to say that we could just divide the total in 4 as "there would only be a few euro each in the difference" as some people had drinks and some didn't.

Now these are all small things, I know that, but there was a few more too and they all added up to the feeling that they didn't give a crap about the customers. Sometimes the food can be slow if they are v busy etc, that's normal, I accept that, but everything added up to a bad experience, the second in a row.

D'amigos used to be my favourite restaurant in town, I heard they got some new owners and it has really gone downhill, also worth mentioning that some of the food wasn't up to par with what they used to do.

Has anyone been there recently and thought it's not what it used to be? It would be a shame if this was happening to others and a well known restaurant was going down the drain, as it used to be awesome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Heya, just sharing an experience we had there last weekend and wondering if others had the same or anything.

D'amigos steakhouse is part of the Posthouse Bar, anyone from the area etc will know it well. I have eaten there many times over the past 5 years, a few weeks ago we had my Stag party there, the dinner anyway, and the staff were friendly but not very efficient and they were a pain when it came to paying separately for the bill, but there was 12 of us, so we didn't really mind sorting it out, we're not unreasonable, that's understandable.

Last weekend though was a whole other level. It took about 15 minutes before our order was taken, without any drinks etc, they were a little busy though so this is to be expected. We kept away from steak, to cut down on wait time. It was still over 60mins until we got our food.

A woman on the next table knocked her side of chips they had just brought her, none of the staff helped her or offered to get her some more. Also while we were eating we could see some of the staff arguing with a couple who had been sitting nearby, not sure what it was about but it was clear they weren't happy about something or the way it was handled, and the staff didn't seem to care or want to help too much.

By the time we were leaving it was mostly empty, the staff were chatting, so we asked for the bill, however she said she was too busy to get it for us so pointed us to some other staff that we should ask, she then went to have a chat with a friend that we saw her chatting with earlier, deffo wasn't too busy to grab our bill for us.

The member of staff who was at the registers was talking away with a customer who had been passing from the smoking area going back to his table, so we gave him a second so as not to interrupt, but he continued to ignore us, looked at us a few times but just kept talking. It took a few mins before he gave us attention. They wouldn't let us pay separately even though the place was almost empty and the orders were simple, but he was nice enough to say that we could just divide the total in 4 as "there would only be a few euro each in the difference" as some people had drinks and some didn't.

Now these are all small things, I know that, but there was a few more too and they all added up to the feeling that they didn't give a crap about the customers. Sometimes the food can be slow if they are v busy etc, that's normal, I accept that, but everything added up to a bad experience, the second in a row.

D'amigos used to be my favourite restaurant in town, I heard they got some new owners and it has really gone downhill, also worth mentioning that some of the food wasn't up to par with what they used to do.

Has anyone been there recently and thought it's not what it used to be? It would be a shame if this was happening to others and a well known restaurant was going down the drain, as it used to be awesome!

You asked them to do 12 seperate bills? What age are ye, 13?

Maybe they remember you as the person from the night that kicked up a fuss when they couldn't get thier 12 seperate bills and they think you're a PITA and are behaving accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Adventsparky

We didn't kick up a fuss, I said that was understandable. And even if we had, that's something I would expect my staff to do for someone if they wanted it, if I ran a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I do know that it is run separably from the Posthouse and has being since it moved upstairs(I presume its still upstairs havent being there in a few months).

Asking to split the bill like that is a bit of a joke to be honest.

If you had a bad experience I dont see why you would post it on boards.ie first. Did you call them and ask to speak to the manager or even if you dont want to call then surely put it on their facebook page where they have a chance to reply.

I did a little Googling for you OP

https://www.facebook.com/Damigos.Steakhouse

damigossteakhouse@yahoo.com

052-6128066

Managers name is Catherine O'Donnell.

Get in contact with them, see what they say and then get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I have never heard of any group asking for so many separate bills, why didnt ye either split it in 12 or everyone work out what they owed and pool it and pay together, thats what adults usually do !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

An absolute kip of a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I have been in large groups where the bill was split. It's a chore for the staff I'm sure, but imo a customer is entitled to be billed for what he or she alone ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I will never get caught for bill sharing again,learnt my lesson the last time I did that.On the night in question I wasn't drinking because I was driving but plenty of other people at the table were having pints and bottles of cider,I ended up paying nearly twice what me and my wife's meal cost.feck that,never again.(and it just happened to be in the posthouse)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Tremelo wrote: »
    I have been in large groups where the bill was split. It's a chore for the staff I'm sure, but imo a customer is entitled to be billed for what he or she alone ordered.

I disagree. A restaurant takes a booking for the table as a whole, not a booking for 12 individual meals (as in the OP). If you want to pay seperately then ask for an itemised bill and break it down at the table amongst yourselves but I don't feel there should be any onus on the restaurant to do it for you.

To answer the OP I've only eaten in the restaurant once since it changed management and it was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Adventsparky

It was fine when there was 12 of us, understandable that they didn't want to split it. but when there was 4 of us, with a simple order, I didn't think it would be too much hassle. It was everything else that really capped it off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

i've eaten there a few times. the food's good inho
    pity about the staff....slow as fcuk.
    it's pricey enough too for what it is. there's plenty other options in clonmel

I think 'chrissies' is decent and quite reasonable. even if there's skangers downstairs!

as regards seperate bills, would it not make sense to tell waitress before you order so it'll be simpler when it's time to pay

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

When it was downstairs , it was a lovely restaurant with a brilliant atmosphere. It was like walking into a tex mex restaurant. Now its only a shadow of its former self. Food only ok and staff very unhelpful. Slow too. There were only 2 couples there when i was there and it still took 40 mins for my starter to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

WTF?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

hi, I am the owner of the above restaurant ,and to be honest you dont sound to intelligent to me, wasting so much time writing such a long message ,rather than being a man and picking up the phone and putting your case forward.we are alwaws open to critisim good or bad.HERE ARE MY PHONE NUMBERS <snip> OR <snip>,IWOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU AND PUT A RESOLVE TO THIS FOR YOU.I HOPE TO TALK TO YOU SOON. SORRY FOR LATE REPLY ,DUE TO ILLNESS,THANK YOU.

If you want to advertise here, go about it properly and maturely instead of signing up and questioning another person's intelligence in a 7 month old thread.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement