Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hiefer and cull cow finishing diets

• 25-08-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

starting to consider the options for the spring 2010 born hiefers
    Aiming to have them gone before start of december and any housing. so an 80day feeding period roughly
    considering putting them on 3kg of rolled barley at 279/ton for 6weeks and then maybe 5kg of beeflav for the final 5weeks. last year i added maize meal to beeflav for the final 3wks.
    coop also mentioned 'maize munch' is good for fattening at 268/ton... dont have experience with this product. Could i use that for the 80days or just the final few weeks?:confused:

I will also be slaughtering 6 cull cows. should i put them on a different diet to the heifers? plenty grass here yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

grass for the old girls, energy in the fed for the young ladies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1 waste of money feedin meal to culls

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

+1 thats the way we work it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i was thinking of fattening culls on 3 kg ration +beet + silage,what do ye think would 90 to 100 days do them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It would probably convert the cow from a P=3 to an O+4, put perhaps 50kg cw on, question is what would it cost?:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

around 2500 iwas thinking for around 16 to 18 cows.would add aprox 5000+ to the value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

keep going wrote: »
    around 2500 iwas thinking for around 16 to 18 cows.would add aprox 5000+ to the value

Your allowing yourself around 1.47e per day per animal. Costs would be a bit higher than that with mortality also thrown in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

soya is 320 at the minute and is 335 to forwrd buy- thats what i was told yesterday and looking at the journal it has come down a good bit, would it be good value to buy some now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

i just weaned the 3 empty cows so they are in the shed on straw only till they dry up. Then they'll go back out to grass for a their final run.

another cow that failed to produce a calf (even though scanned in calf:eek:) has been on grass for the summer and will be slaughtered with the stock bull next week.

So i'd have a total of 6 cull cows. hardly warrants a separate grazing group.

I've plenty grass so not inclined to mart them either.

If i did run them separately what would you put each group on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Are these suckler cows or dairy? Maybe I missed the answer somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Bizzum wrote: »
    Are these suckler cows or dairy? Maybe I missed the answer somewhere!

sucker cows only

Your allowing yourself around 1.47e per day per animal. Costs would be a bit higher than that with mortality also thrown in
    gwizz i dont think im going to loose many of my own cows,maybe different if i was buying in.beet will be self fed and i think i can get rolled barley at 220

Advertisement