Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Timetable

Options
  • 25-08-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm going to UCD to do a Commercial Law LLM, apart from a Welcoming Email that contained only basic information I'm struggling to find a definite start date for orientation and classes and I haven't received any sort of welcome pack in the post either.
    I know there is a general timetable online that says 5th-9th of September for orientation with classes starting the following Monday but it does say for 1st years, does this include Postgrads or do we start later?
    If anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated! My emails to the Faculty remain unanswered..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I'm heading to do an MSc in Comp sci and haven't heard anything apart from the general email either.
    My guess is that they send something after we register/pay on the 2nd Sept and start is 12th Sept. I'd also like to have something definite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Perhaps but if you need to register for subjects/modules at the point of registration how are you supposed to do this without having attended some introductory lectures to see if you are interested? I had assumed that was why you could register until September 30th?

I'm looking for accomodation at the moment and it makes it harder when I don't have a date when I must be moved in by!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Have you tried to log into UCD Connect? You can manage your account on SISweb too.

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/

Use your application reference or student number. You would have had to register and pick a username, or use your UCD student number when applying to UCD as a postgrad.

Thanks Dublin Daz I logged into that but it doesn't give any info yet anyway. I guess I'll just wait patiently for a reply to my emails..

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

No problem KeepTheFaith.

Sorry it didn't work.

I don't really know about postgrad registration, but when I registered (undergrad) there was a button "enter registration process" in SISweb. There I selected modules and at the end would have a timetable.

Sorry I can't offer more, hopefully they will get back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

dublin daz wrote: »
    No problem KeepTheFaith.

Sorry it didn't work.

I don't really know about postgrad registration, but when I registered (undergrad) there was a button "enter registration process" in SISweb. There I selected modules and at the end would have a timetable.

Sorry I can't offer more, hopefully they will get back soon.

I would imagine you won't hear much until the 2nd of september. Once you register you should get access to you timetable and all the important dates for the year. I'm a continuing post grad and I haven't received any info either as of yet, I had the joy of being of UCD for my undergrad so i'm well used to UCD being very last minute about this kind of stuff, and have found out timetabling information indirectly from lecturers. I can tell you for definite that lectures should be starting the 12th of september.

Once you can log on to the UCD website and SIS website then a whole world of information will be available. If you can do this now then you should be able to see most things except for the timetable. Which definitely isn't available till the 2nd

As for orientation I would imagine that it will be during the week of the 5th of september ie same week as first years. Although i don't know how much emphasis will be placed on orientation for postgrads, In reality not much happens during orientation for the first years either except campus tours, IT inductions, library inductions, nights out. Most of these will still be going on during the first couple of weeks of college so they may not see a need to have orientation for post grads. Short of knowing where your building is on the first morning you can learn the rest during your first week.

cozzie55 wrote: »
    I would imagine you won't hear much until the 2nd of september. Once you register you should get access to you timetable and all the important dates for the year. I'm a continuing post grad and I haven't received any info either as of yet, I had the joy of being of UCD for my undergrad so i'm well used to UCD being very last minute about this kind of stuff, and have found out timetabling information indirectly from lecturers. I can tell you for definite that lectures should be starting the 12th of september.

Once you can log on to the UCD website and SIS website then a whole world of information will be available. If you can do this now then you should be able to see most things except for the timetable. Which definitely isn't available till the 2nd

As for orientation I would imagine that it will be during the week of the 5th of september ie same week as first years. Although i don't know how much emphasis will be placed on orientation for postgrads, In reality not much happens during orientation for the first years either except campus tours, IT inductions, library inductions, nights out. Most of these will still be going on during the first couple of weeks of college so they may not see a need to have orientation for post grads. Short of knowing where your building is on the first morning you can learn the rest during your first week.

Thanks for the reply Cozzie, very informative. Just a question on module registration, if you are required to choose on the point of registration presumably this means you choose blindly without any real info on the subject..? Just thinking of my undergrad where you could attend a lecture or two to get a feel for the subject..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Thanks for the reply Cozzie, very informative. Just a question on module registration, if you are required to choose on the point of registration presumably this means you choose blindly without any real info on the subject..? Just thinking of my undergrad where you could attend a lecture or two to get a feel for the subject..

In reality now that we are post grads we have no choice in what modules we take unless maybe its a possibly in arts or commerce. So even if you got to sit in one or two lectures before you register you are still stuck with it weather you like it or not. The only things we have to register for is labs and tutorials which maybe held at different times depending on numbers.

I'm in engineering though and for module registration the only choices I will get mite be to pick different times for labs, other than that the modules themselves are requirements so no choice on them.

Advertisement