Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT settings problem on crap router

Options
  • 25-08-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have tried everything to try and get my router/modem to set to open NAT setting. It doesn't simply have a easy way of doing it like other routers.

Router is Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2 on Perlico but its now Vodafone, and it's connected by Ethernet to the Xbox.

I followed the portforwarding.com guide.

I have reset the router?modem to factory settings, created a static address for Xbox ,opened ports 80,88,53,3074,3330 and turned off the active firewall setting and enabled UpnP.

anything else I'm missing??

I don't know what to do now, should I just get a new Router/modem or would one of those wireless adapters do the job straight away or does that need the ports forwarded?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You might find some answers on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056029020

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fishsticks

If you have set all the ports open correctly don't worry. You need to set MTU settings to at least 1364 & UPnP is enabled. You may be required to contact your internet service provider to guide you through these settings.

Even though I done all this I put my Xbox static IP as the DMZ host so if all else fails that is an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

fishsticks wrote: »
    If you have set all the ports open correctly don't worry. You need to set MTU settings to at least 1364 & UPnP is enabled. You may be required to contact your internet service provider to guide you through these settings.

Even though I done all this I put my Xbox static IP as the DMZ host so if all else fails that is an option for you.

Hmmm I tried ringing the ISP but they just say they don't support Xbox queries.

I cant find anything about MTU.
    All I can see is "Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User" and it's set to 512

I hate the way they fob you off. I worked for Xbox Customer support and always had people ringing back a 3rd and 4th time about NAT settings where we done all we can and when we tell them to ring the ISP the ISP blame the Xbox when all the settings are correct on the console.

Ok well I had a look around about your router and the
    Max Nat/Firewall Session
    Some have said they set the Max Nat/Firewall Session per User to 4096 sometimes it worked and sometimes not. I am not recommending this as I have no knowledge of it. In one case they simple kept calling the ISP till they sent out a new modem/router and since have had no problems.

Another issue may be that you require PPPoE authentication from your ISP. It is a possibility. I have never come across it when working at Xbox as something I recommended to people but as below it may be needed.

If on your Xbox you have already entered some information in the additional settings of the network settings on the Xbox (without confirming with ISP you need these settings), reset to factory defaults, turn off console, remove cable and restart console with cable in.
    Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) is used mainly with DSL services to validate a customer’s IP address and let the customer communicate with the DSL network. PPPoE information generally includes the username and password you selected when you created your cable or DSL account, e.g. username@ispname.net and your password.

If an ISP requires PPPoE, this information needs to be entered in the system setting in the Xbox LIVE section of the Xbox 360 Dashboard if you are using a Direct Modem Connection, or the router or gateway if you are using a Shared Connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Firewall => Off

Thank me later ^_^

• Advertisement

Turning off the firewall without a decent firewall software on all PC's using the connection is unsafe and not recommended. That is what the DMZ is for.

If you have the Xbox's IP address as the DMZ host it has complete access to the internet without going through any firewall (allows it to bypass) and which I believe will not be harmed as there are no known viruses attacking Xbox consoles (I use mine in the DMZ) and every other device connected will still be required to go through the firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

If on your Xbox you have already entered some information in the additional settings of the network settings on the Xbox (without confirming with ISP you need these settings), reset to factory defaults, turn off console, remove cable and restart console with cable in.

Thanks a lot mate this worked, the batteries on my controllers have just died I have been at this for the last three days.

No error on the connection test:):):cool:

No problem, there was a lot of calls where there was information entered in the additional settings. Resetting the console network settings practically always works if ports are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I have asked for mods to merge threads to keep all NAT on one thread.

However won;t these settings refresh after 24 hours and he'll have the same problem again?

However won;t these settings refresh after 24 hours and he'll have the same problem again?

You mean the additional settings tab in network settings on the console?
    Once settings are changed they are not automatically changed back. Then there would be no point in having the freedom to change them if that was the case, Microsoft would have made a major mistake with their coding :)

In my experience I have never heard of those settings refreshing to an old configuration, if that was the case I would presume it would be some data stored in the cache which I would then recommend to clear it by going to the HDD in memory settings and pressing "Y" when it is highlighted and select "Clear System Cache"

• Advertisement

So how is moikey actually connecting? Has he a static or automatic ip set and all the ports open is it? And is there any DMZ option for this router? These things are getting more complicated!!

moikey originally set a static IP with all ports opened by following the portforward.com guide. When I searched his router model I found people were unable to find a DMZ option on their router so I presume moikey could not find it either. Since moikey had settings in the additional settings tab and he reset to default it put the IP on his console to DHCP so the console was no longer set to a static IP unless they put it back to static after.

I still have all my documents from working at Xbox that I wrote myself so I look back on them when required. If you need to know anything just ask us.

Gotcha, I will ask Moose(one of the mods here) to merge this thread onto my own since it has to do with NAT and the fact that this problem was solved. I may update the thread with a list of routers that have been fixed to "open" and a list of popular questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I had this problem.
    That model router from Perlico is a nightmare to work with, in the end I just got a netgear one and used it instead. I had to put the xbox ip into the dmz on the netgear router config. Hey presto - Open Nat :D.
    My Perlico router is collecting dust - its a piece of junk.

Advertisement