Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Break

Options
  • 25-08-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm a 3rd year student going into my final year of college and i really want to take a year out. I'm completely burnt out as its my fifth year of studying 3rd level and i don't think I'm mentally strong enough to continue this year. If i do continue its very possible i may fail or just get a ****ty degree. Since I've put so much effort and time into this college course i want to achieve a good result for my own personal satisfaction. I've been thinking about this for quiet awhile now... the past year was a bit of a disaster I lost all motivation in college, i was unhappy and depressed, my attendance went to s*** and i feel like if I continue its only going to get worse. I actually feel like I've lost a bit of myself, my personality. but then maybe every final year student feels this way and maybe then I'm just running away from reality and prolonging the problem. my parents are not exactly entertaining the idea and i think if this wasn't the case I'd go right ahead and take the year out or wouldn't feel as guilty for doing so, I'd really appreciate any advise, thanks elle :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think we have all been there.

Well, I certainly have. I remember I was about half way through my masters and I wanted to pack it in there and then. I was doing it part-time, so I had work and other commitments to tend with. But I persevered and it was the best decision I ever made.

I think it is natural, three years is a long time and takes a lot of dedication and effort. But the other side of it is that you are three-quarters the way there. You have only one year left, and that will absolutely fly.

If times were better, in terms of jobs and money, I would not hesitate in saying take a year out. However, they way things are at the moment, I would think you are better to stay in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 elle1987

Cheers Tom,
    I understand what your saying and this is why i feel so confused. I have a job at the moment and have the option of keeping it on part-time or full if i desire so, so i guess if i was to take the year.... i wouldn't be twiddling my thumbs and moping around. I'd be getting a bit of money together, taking the break and hopefully travelling. its not the greatest job in the world so i know its not something i would stay doing or get wrapped up in to cause me not to go back. maybe its the freedom that would? I'm not too fond of my course either but after three years of studying, I'm not gonna throw that away. aggghhh so confused:( but thankyou ( i think you were the answer i didn't wanna hear :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I took a year out this year and am heading back in September. It was a big mistake to take the year out. While it was great to have a bit of cash I wish I had just borrowed the money and finished college. I would have much better options now with a degree in my hand.

big mistake...financially? or because the year away has resulted in a lack of interest in going back to college...
    was it really not worth anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I just think it has been a boring year without college and working part-time. I suppose it depends on the person but if you finish out college it will open more opportunities especially if you want to work or travel abroad.\
    I really like the course I am doing but I would have been better off just finishing it.

• Advertisement

Ye you've got a point, I guess when push comes to shove I'll have to decide..
    cheers for the input kev!

Advertisement