Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Hen

Options
  • 25-08-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to go out after a meal in Athlone with a Hen party. The Suede Café Bar & Late Lounge has been recommended but I can't find out much about it, is it any good??
    I've been warned against the Prince of Wales as they can be anti-hens...
    Also Coppers was recommended, is that part of a chain??? not sure the bride would like it if its anything like the DUblin Coppers!!!
    Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Depends where are you eating? I would head over to the connaught side of the town and try one of Sean's the Snug or the Castle.
    Karma is probably the night club you will end up in and that is below the prince.
    dont think there is any connection between the coppers in dublin and athlone other than they should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Thanks for your reply :)
    Eating in the Olive Grove, staying in Arch House beside the Suede Café Bar which is why i thought i'd see if I could find out about it - very handy if anyone needs to go to bed early or anything!!! Have you heard much about it? I've heard great reports of the Snug also, what sort of music is played in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

swervring wrote: »
    Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to go out after a meal in Athlone with a Hen party. The Suede Café Bar & Late Lounge has been recommended but I can't find out much about it, is it any good??
    I've been warned against the Prince of Wales as they can be anti-hens...
    Also Coppers was recommended, is that part of a chain??? not sure the bride would like it if its anything like the DUblin Coppers!!!
    Thanks for any help :)
    Suede is grand but you would prob be the only people in there!!!! Coppers is not anything to do with copper face jacks in Dublin. The prince is the bar part of karma nightclub but karma won't let in hens who have any type of hen party apparel on or so I've been told. Best bet is to go to the left bank and start from there before making your way across the bridge

athlonelad wrote: »
    Suede is grand but you would prob be the only people in there!!!! Coppers is not anything to do with copper face jacks in Dublin. The prince is the bar part of karma nightclub but karma won't let in hens who have any type of hen party apparel on or so I've been told. Best bet is to go to the left bank and start from there before making your way across the bridge

Yeah I heard that about Karma alright which is why i'd rather avoid - all we'll have is name badges and the bride will have a sash but still would put a sour note on if we were turned away!

Thanks for the advice, might sound stupid but is the left bank a pub or an area????

Anyone any views on the Palace Bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Karma and the Prince can't be anti-hen can they if the Prince of Wales is offering Hen packages which include Cocktail training, a reserved area in the bar and entry to Karma!

http://www.theprinceofwales.ie/hen-parties.html

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Is the Palace still closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

tubos wrote: »
    Karma and the Prince can't be anti-hen can they if the Prince of Wales is offering Hen packages which include Cocktail training, a reserved area in the bar and entry to Karma!

http://www.theprinceofwales.ie/hen-parties.html
    They are not anti hen but will make you take off any hats sashes or other hen things like plastic Mickey's etc!!
    The left bank is an area in the town. It has 3 good pubs together Sean's the snug and the castle inn.
    The palace is still "closed for renovations " as far as I know.
    I'd recommend hitting the left bank and then either coppers or karma but if your going to karma just be aware of their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Ah I see, it's not a bad thing, confiscating some of that rubbish.

So Ladies, put your mickies in your handbags and whip them out when you're inside and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Suede is dead, anyone its only a five minute walk from Suede to the far side, Seans snug, Castle etc.
    So your B&B is on the main street and very near everything.

Coppers is great craic, and very hen friendly, and a late bar too. Absolutely nothing to do with Coppers in Dublin.

I have heard from many hens that they book into Karma for the weekend, only to be disapponted and not allowed be a hen! ie not allowed in with hen paraphenalia. Also Karma is a very strict so ya can't be messing or having the craic.

But there is loads of lovely restaurants, Top Deck, Thyme, Dia Bella.
    The olive grove is alright but over priced and not as good as it likes to think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Karma is a great spot and if you email them beforehand you might get a deal, group rate / reserved area/ cocktails or something, no harm in asking. I would avoid coppers can be rough enough and no atmosphere, Suede is nice but can be very quiet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Karma is a great spot and if you email them beforehand you might get a deal, group rate / reserved area/ cocktails or something, no harm in asking. I would avoid coppers can be rough enough and no atmosphere, Suede is nice but can be very quiet..

Ah thats a bit harsh, Coppers is the best craic in Athlone, In my opinion.
    I always wake up disgusted on Sunday mornings when I go to Karma, and have a boring night and down a tenner from paying into Karma.

Advertisement