Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any free film editing software out there?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've some late projects to edit for college (gotta have them in before 2nd Sept) but i don't have access to college equipment namely Final Cut Pro so i'm currently trying to edit them with Windows Movie Maker but i just cant get the tight audio/visual sync i would with FCP...

So anyone know of some free software (can't afford to buy anythnig yet) for PC that would do the trick without crashing my laptop?

There seems to be so much out there for Music Production but so little for film...strange!

If anyone knows of such software i'd be very grateful for info.

Thanks
    DrF ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Try this one for $5.

I've bought from them before. Slightly older program but should do it for you.

You could do worse than this one for stg£14.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is there a free 30 day trial of the final cut pro software you could use? Seeing as it's just a temporary fix you need that could cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

He's on Windows! (Windows Movie Maker), if he was on Mac he could just use imovie, FCP is only for Mac.

Anyway.. the real news

Lightworks is a professional film editing software.. and guess what, it works on Win XP, Vista, Win7- 32 and 64 bit and its free!, no catch.. and the basics can be learned in a couple of hours plus there is no 30 day crap out.
    I am currently using Avid MC5, Sony Vegas and FCP7, I am also been a user of Lightworks, It was the original bad boy film industry software along with Avid. now its back because a world renown media storage company called Editshare bought the lightworks company as they didn't have their own video editor, now they're giving that same video editing program away!

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

lightworks wiki

http://lightworks.wikidot.com/

This will probably in the future become an expensive software package again, so if I were you get it now!. Remember it is a beta but will probably only affect those with certain types of new stills camera applications and files or certain HDV configurations but it is still being updated and there is an active forum.

Just one more thing if you are going to use video editing packages like this make sure you have a bit of horsepower under the bonnet also with good graphics capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Thanks folks...I actually downloaded the Lightworks software but unfortunately this laptop can't handle it so in the end I worked out some treatments for my storyline that would allow for the limitations of WMM (ie. the slightly off sync audio and basic edits are part of the 'feel' of the shorts now) so hopefully I'll get away with that.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.
    DrF ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Weird, I installed lightworks on a laptop that has a measly atom CPU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement