Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student not on BTEA

Options
  • 25-08-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi Guys,

I'm a first time third level student (mature) not on BTEA, I'll be working up until college starts and have been since I left secondary school so am not returning via the benefits route - does anyone know if I am entitled to my tuition fees free and if so is this automatic or do I have to apply somewhere to sort this? I've looked up numerous websites and threads on boards and can't seem to figure it out (maybe I'm just thick - if so hopefully third level will sort this!!)

BTW I did an access course last year (also unsubsidised)!

Any help would be much appreciated!

MB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you haven't partaken third level study before or are progressing to a higher level, then you are entitled to free tution fees. You don't need to do anything about this. You will however have to pay the student contribution (registration fee) if you are not in receipt of a grant/BTEA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 marybrowne

Thanks for that - it's a three year degree - does that mean the fees are paid for the three years?

They should be, but sure who knows if or when the government will get rid of free fees. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

i found this site very good

http://www.studentfinance.ie/

Too true! Thanks a million! Would I be pushing it asking if you know if I'm (and I hate this word) entitled to anything else?

• Advertisement

are u currently working if u dont mind me asking??sorry dident read the 1st post right

No probs, it's a minefield when you're not used to filling out forms etc - I'm not even old - mid twenties therefore have major respect for anyone older who is going to college for the first time in their 40's 50's etc!! I assume I'll just have to carry on working part-time and take out some kind of student loan if the banks have any money left to lend! Is there still such a thing as a Student Government Loan or is that in itself a really stupid question! ;)

is there any chance that u would get the grant u should apply for it any way and see they can only say no to u

naughto wrote: »
    is there any chance that u would get the grant u should apply for it any way and see they can only say no to u

Mod note: Please do not use txtspk as it is difficult to read. Thanks.

Advertisement