Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renter, can you help prepare me please?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there

This is our first time renting a property and we are a bit nervous about what we can ask for etc. Having just sold our house we are looking to rent for a year or two and are going to see some houses in the coming week. I would be really grateful if you guys could help answer some of these qs:
    • If the house is on the market for €1000pm should we try to negotiate on the price? Its a 4 bedroom house that has been rented out for the last 6 months or so and I guess they are confident of getting that price.
    • Are refuse charges included in the rent? Is there anything else that I should ask about being included in the price?
    • If the house is suitable but we feel that some rooms may need painting or a spruce up, is it ok to ask?
    • If the property is available next week but we dont want it for another two weeks can we negotiate about the day from when we pay rent? Eg if it is advertised as being free to rent from Sept 3rd but we dont see it until the 1st, do we have to pay for it from the 3rd? I wouldnt mind paying a deposit to hold it but dont want to pay rent straight away if we can avoid it! Similarly if they are re-painting etc do we have to pay rent while this is going on?
    • If there are extra beds in a room that we dont need can we ask them to store them elsewhere?
    • How much freedom do we have with regards to hanging up things on the wall etc?
    • If we want to have a phoneline installed is there any reason why they would say no?
    I am realy sorry about all of the questions but it is a daunting feeling renting after owning our own home for so long but hopefully we are doing the right thing! Thanks in advance for all of your help xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You can ask for a discount, after all the worst they can do is refuse, so don't be shy to ask.

Refuse charges are usually included if it is an apartment with shared bins, and usually aren't otherwise.

It is absolutely okay to ask for rooms to be painted. If possible you should ask for this work to be done before you sign your lease as some landlords can be a little lax with it after they have got you in.

You can ask to put back your lease start date, and it would be rare for you to be refused as a refusal will probably mean the place being empty for longer in the long run. Obviously don't be asking for weeks and weeks but anything around a week or two should be reasonable.

People do ask for furniture remove and it is generally granted, but if possible you should ask your landlord this in advance just in case it isn't feasible for them.

You should ask your landlord in advance if you want to drill holes in walls, generally agencies might be stricter but landlords should be fine (though they might ask you to fill in the holes before you move out).

There is absolutely no reason why you would be refused to have a phone line installed. However the bill would obviously be in your name so if you end up moving out in less than a year you would be stuck with an early termination charge from your provider.

Also general word of advice, it is a very good idea to go around and take photos of every room before you move your stuff in. If there is any issue with landlords trying to withhold your deposit when you move out, then these will be well worth the effort. I've never had a problem with a landlord, but best to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 newbie07

Thanks so much for all of your advice, that is great, I feel a lot more confident now going to viewings. Thanks Knasher

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you really REALLY REALLY love the place and want to move in straight away, look at it like the place is a dump. If the landlord knows you like the place, they'd be less likely to drop the rent.

If you have lots of your own stuff from the last house, when looking on Daft.ie go into Advanced Search, and select the "no" option to the question "Should the property be furnished?" as then you can move your own stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 newbie07

More great advice, thank you !

Advertisement