Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Drink (Cheap Drink in General)

Options
  • 25-08-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

I have enjoyed my luxurious lifestyle for far too long now, and I know I can't continue in my consumption of high-end beverages like Bulmers, Heinkekin and the costly Liquor anymore! My drink from now on will have to reflect on my student capital.

I ask here for a list of the cheapest (but comsumable) piss Irelands Off Licences have to offer.
    • Lidl
    • Aldi
    • Tesco
    • Dunnes
    • Your everyday local Off Licence
    What do you drink in college? How much would you buy in a week?(including the odd night in town, galway)

Just an interesting, but also relevant thread I thought I would start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

As an incoming first year, I will eagerly follow this thread in order to get my bearings in what is, lets face it, what college is all about! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

Aldi do a beer called Steinhauser. 24 330ml bottles for around 16 euro. My beer of choice at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Lidl do 6 bottles of Perlenbacher Pils which are cheap and decent.
    Bavaria and Tuborg are student beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Bavaria all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Tesco do some pretty good offers every now and then. A while ago I got 24 cans of Kopparberg for €24, they had heineken and various other brands on offer too. You can also regularly get 1l bottles of spirits for €15 there too.

Just keep an eye on the various offers going around and you'll be able to drink cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I'm doing research in an Italian university at the moment. The faculty bar sells 33cl bottles of local beer for 80c ... do any of the students drink? Barely :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Prazsky, Dutch Gold, Bavaria, Stoya, Karpackie, Hackenberg, Tuborg (Sometimes 6 cans for a fiver in Tescos :O)
    Cider: You have Stonehouse, Druids, Devils Bit, Linden Village etc.
    In Aldi you can get I think its Gallahad Lager, never had it but apparently its decent for the price, they also have their own Stella Artois rip off cant remember the name but its ok.
    In Lidl you have cans of Excelsior, piss but grand and cheap ,had it a while ago, also Perlenbacher I think it is, bottled beer but there 50cl bottles.

Been drinking Prasky lately, seems to be 6 for €6 most places and its a decent beer,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Cheapest per litre I believe is ALDI's Galaghad or whatever it is 75cent a can. So 20 cans = 15 euro not an enjoyable drink by any regard but if your drinking to get drunk there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

not an enjoyable drink by any regard

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

After observing two years worth of first years I can make predictions about this.
    Lots will go crazy for the first week or two, first time away from home for many. (One guy even got alcohol poisoning last year in my college and had to have an ambulance called after he was found in a toilet unconscious, so don't go too crazy)
    After this two weeks they all calm down and realise they actually have assignments and such. After christmas exams a lot freak out to realise college require time and effort and by the next year they all come back a much calmer bunch after repeat exams scaring some sense into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

Noodleworm wrote: »
    After observing two years worth of first years I can make predictions about this.
    Lots will go crazy for the first week or two, first time away from home for many. (One guy even got alcohol poisoning last year in my college and had to have an ambulance called after he was found in a toilet unconscious, so don't go too crazy)
    After this two weeks they all calm down and realise they actually have assignments and such. After christmas exams a lot freak out to realise college require time and effort and by the next year they all come back a much calmer bunch after repeat exams scaring some sense into them.

What was the guy that got alcohol poisoning drinking? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

DaBomb wrote: »
    What was the guy that got alcohol poisoning drinking? :D

Too much - in my medical opinion.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

Too much - in my medical opinion.:rolleyes:

ha i'd still like to know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

don't know what he was drinking sorry, I just knew cos my friend saw him get carted off in the Ambulance, he was found of the floor of the mens bathroom in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

regi wrote: »
    I'm doing research in an Italian university at the moment. The faculty bar sells 33cl bottles of local beer for 80c ... do any of the students drink? Barely :eek:

In general Italians actually drink very little outside of wine with meals. It's been a little while since I was in Italy so it might have changed but most 'bars' there are really cafes. You never really see people heading out for a few beers. It's quite different in Spain and Greece etc. where bars really are bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nors22

My advice would be to stay well away from any cider in a bottle i.e Lindon Village and also Devils Bit is definitely created by the devil!!!! Cheap cider just isnt worth the pain go for cheap vodka from Lidl instead it wont give you half the grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hulk Hogan

FRANZIA!!!

franzia.jpg

It brings people together
    enhanced-buzz-15037-1270577894-4.jpg

You can wear it
    enhanced-buzz-15051-1270578118-9.jpg

Easy Storage
    enhanced-buzz-15050-1270580813-11.jpg

Perfect for study breaks
    enhanced-buzz-15037-1270579620-7.jpg

And for even more reasons why Franzia is awesome, click the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hulk Hogan

But as I have yet to actually see Franzia anywhere in Ireland, I'll second the cheap Lidl vodka. Eight cans of Druids for a tenner is great too. 6 Dutch for 6.50 is obviously serious value but I think it's complete piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

If you don't drink on a full stomach you'll get pissed much quicker and need to buy less drink :) but like the above poster said go easy to avoid alcohol poisoning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 meathmissy

After 5 years of college, I have to say a bottle of buckfast (bucky) does the job! Well at least the 5 lads I lived with for two years had one bottle each every night they went out, but what we used to have was cheap vodka, I was in Sligo so we did a monthly trip up to Asda in Enniskillen for ours, but the blue bottle in Lidl is great too. or some kinsey (dunnes own brand) gin,

• Advertisement
Advertisement