Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym recommendation please

• 25-08-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Can someone give me a recommendation for a gym on west side of Galway?

- Ocean Fitness at Salthill Hotel and Ardilaun are lovely, but expensive
    - Clybaun very ordinary, but cheaper.

The Clybaun suits my price range, anything I should know before I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

i go to clybaun find it perfect for the price and staff are pleasent. i used to use Ardilaun but its gone down hill and guy i talked to in ocean fitness had no interest. i asked could i try out gym and pool ,i wanted to use it at a time i would normally train at to see how busy are quiet it is, I was told no ,have to join first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The Kingfisher gym in NUI, Galway does public membership. It can get quite crowded during college term but that goes in bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭39steps

I used to be a member in Kingfisher, but it's too crowded in the evenings and the parking is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

hwy guys, where is this Clybaun place?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Inside the Clybaun Hotel, called NRG

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

im looking to tone up a bit and the 2 cheapest options i coudm find were leiurseland and peak physique any one had any dealings with either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'm looking for somewhere on the east side.

Currently go to Peak Physique but everything in there feels very dated. Its not a nice place to be if that makes sense. Any cheap places in the CC that does student offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I really liked leisureland when I went there. I always went around midday so there wouldn't be loads of people there. Nice staff, pretty much all the equipment and generally nice people in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

constantg wrote: »
    hwy guys, where is this Clybaun place?

Number 1 on the Knocknacarra neighbourhood map

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'm looking for somewhere on the east side.

Currently go to Peak Physique but everything in there feels very dated. Its not a nice place to be if that makes sense. Any cheap places in the CC that does student offers?
    I Think nrg in bohermore has student deals

Pool4Life wrote: »
    I Think nrg in bohermore has student deals

Anyone know how much membership is? I'm a postgrad but I'd be staying in Galway most of the year I reckon anyway; I've heard that the Kingfisher in college is small enough and like all college gyms tends to get easily crowded...
    They are doing a 9 month student membership for €299

Is that for the Kingfisher? 300 notes is VERY steep for 9 months isn't it?

Thats with nrg mate

feck that then lads, only 250 for 12 months in kingfisher i think!

Thats with nrg mate

thanks for the headsup as well lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

39steps wrote: »
    Can someone give me a recommendation for a gym on west side of Galway?
    This was my experience back in February when I went around for a look. To follow on from that post, I joined Ocean Fitness and have been quite happy with it so far. One thing that's great for me but probably not for the gym itself is that it's quite empty whenever I go so I rarely have to work around people. The odd time you have to share the squat rack or whatever but bar the usual numpties that probably inhabit every gym, most people seem grand and perfectly willing to share equipment.

Regarding parking, they have an underground carpark that a lot of people don't seem to know about so even if there are a couple of weddings on at the same time, you won't be stuck for somewhere to put your car.

Whereabouts is Ocean Fitness? Currently LIVING off Googlemaps trying to figure out where's where. Been in Limerick for 8 yrs at this stage so can navigate blindfolded :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Whereabouts is Ocean Fitness? Currently LIVING off Googlemaps trying to figure out where's where. Been in Limerick for 8 yrs at this stage so can navigate blindfolded :P
    It's in the Salthill Hotel on the Prom.

I'm a member there as well. It's a bit more expensive but I was able to get a corporate rate for myself and my fiance. I like that it's never to packed and parking isn't an issue. It also suits me with traffic and my daily commute.

The pool is decent and you'll always have space to yourself in it.

Robbo wrote: »
    It's in the Salthill Hotel on the Prom.

I'm a member there as well. It's a bit more expensive but I was able to get a corporate rate for myself and my fiance. I like that it's never to packed and parking isn't an issue. It also suits me with traffic and my daily commute.

The pool is decent and you'll always have space to yourself in it.

Does the college gym have a large/working sauna and steam room?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Whereabouts is Ocean Fitness?
    Website is here. Google Maps location is here.

Malice wrote: »
    Website is here. Google Maps location is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Just in the process of moving now and it looks like the two nearest gyms to me will be NRG Bohermore and Kingfisher Renmore. Anyone have any advice on which to go for or experiences or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

c_man wrote: »
    Just in the process of moving now and it looks like the two nearest gyms to me will be NRG Bohermore and Kingfisher Renmore. Anyone have any advice on which to go for or experiences or anything?

If you check out the Kingfisher in Renmore be sure to have a good look at the changing rooms/toilets to make sure you're happy with the standard of cleanliness:eek:. Also be aware that they have very limited opening times at weekends / Christmas / Easter and all of race week:mad:.
    Word on the street is that if you offer €400 take it or leave it they will take it or close to that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

c_man wrote: »

NRG. its cheaper than kingfisher(unless you're a student), its clean, the staff are cool, all classes are free, there is a carpark(its ten euro to by a token to get in but you can use it forever) and most importantly its never that busy!! the opening hours are great too

i had a trial in kingfisher and i'm not exagurating when i say that i had to queue up for everything besides the cardio equipment. i couldn't get anything done because it was so packed and i spent most of my time waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Madeano

Don't forget the Carlton hotel in Renmore also. They have a well equipped gym. The Connacht rugby team work out there sometimes so it can't be that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lasgaviotas

I go to the Carlton Hotel..its cheap and cheerful..the gym area is never too busy and sometimes you could have the whole pool, sauna area to yourself..the staff are very nice and helpful and they will let you try it out before paying any money..there is tonnes of parking available..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Some great deals on gyms these days. 145 euro for 3 months in The Maldron Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

anyone know a decent gym around the city. Just looking to join for a month as iv a lot of free time this month and im off abroad in october

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Shane St., you are probably best to look around as some gyms wont allow you to sign up for just a month and will push you towards a pay-as-you-go option, make sure to haggle with ones who are obliging!