Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor tricked me into signing a contract, what can I do?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

So here's the deal I have been on meteor bill pay for almost two years. 200 minutes and 200 texts for €25 a month plus a €5 data add on. This time last year I lost my phone so I rang customer care and said since my contract was nearly up could i get an upgrade. They said yes and told me to go to my local meteor store to pick out a phone. When I did so I went over to the contract with the sales rep. and specifically asked her if it was the same contract I was on before and about the length, she said yes it was exactly the same.

Today i rang customer care to see when my contract runs out as I want to cancel as i am going to college and need every penny I can get. Apparently I signed an 18 month contract instead of a 12 month. Apparently all I can do is go in to the store and double check my contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

do you have a copy? if so and it says 12 month and thats what you signed they'll amend it, if not then you're stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's normal for an upgrade to bind you in to a new 18 month contract. I'm surprised they made that mistake in the shop of not making this clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It should be a case that you can get it changed but if you signed a contract that said 18 months and you thought 12, they don't have to do much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

To answer you questions.

No I don't have a copy of the contract, I doubt however that it will say 18 instead of 12 sadly.

I would understand if it was an 18 month contract if it was a very expensive phone or something but it was free with billpay as I only needed it to tide me over until I could get a new iPhone to replace the one that was lost. I specifically chose this plan as I prefer 12 month contract and paid the extra 5 euros so I could be on it instead of the 18 month. Meteor have been overcharging me by 5 euros every month for the last year which is 60 euro or 90 euro by the time the contract is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Should have just picked up a meteor prepay for 20 or 30 quid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ask Meteor to provide you with a copy of the contracts you signed. If they don't have these, then they can't really hold you to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You should always read the small print before you sign anything.

Slightly off topic perhaps but just to annoy you a little further. My mum got a text yesterday from meteor (she's on prepay) stating that she could switch to billpay for €20 per month. 200 texts, 200 minutes, all Meteor to Meteor texts free, 1 gb data. 30 day contract. Seems odd that their 18 month contract would be more expensive than their 30 day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    So here's the deal I have been on meteor bill pay for almost two years. 200 minutes and 200 texts for €25 a month plus a €5 data add on. This time last year I lost my phone so I rang customer care and said since my contract was nearly up could i get an upgrade. They said yes and told me to go to my local meteor store to pick out a phone. When I did so I went over to the contract with the sales rep. and specifically asked her if it was the same contract I was on before and about the length, she said yes it was exactly the same.

Today i rang customer care to see when my contract runs out as I want to cancel as i am going to college and need every penny I can get. Apparently I signed an 18 month contract instead of a 12 month. Apparently all I can do is go in to the store and double check my contract.

This is correct though. I signed up to this offer. 200 mins 200 texts for 20 euro which is the 18 month contact. 12 month contract was 25 ( or 30 i think) for 200 mins 200 texts over 12 months. The 5 euro 250mb addon is an optional addon that can be stopped at any time.
    This is the deal at the time when the HTC HERO first came out and last time i checked meteor contracts it was still going.

iknorr wrote: »

This is correct though. I signed up to this offer. 200 mins 200 texts for 20 euro which is the 18 month contact. 12 month contract was 25 ( or 30 i think) for 200 mins 200 texts over 12 months. The 5 euro 250mb addon is an optional addon that can be stopped at any time.
    This is the deal at the time when the HTC HERO first came out and last time i checked meteor contracts it was still going.
    Yes but they have been charging me €25 for it which is the rate for a 12 month contract but yet I am on an 18 month. The €25 is just for the 200 minutes and 200 texts, I do have an add on which is 1GB of data for €5 a month so my bill in total is €30 a month but by my calculations it should only be €25 euro when you are signed to an 18 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yes but they have been charging me €25 for it which is the rate for a 12 month contract but yet I am on an 18 month. The €25 is just for the 200 minutes and 200 texts, I do have an add on which is 1GB of data for €5 a month so my bill in total is €30 a month but by my calculations it should only be €25 euro when you are signed to an 18 month contract.

There's no 1gb add on available on Meteor. There's a Smart 35 12 month or a Smart 30 18month which gives you 200mins, texts and 1gb of data. You are probably getting a 5e discount on this.

The only add ons for internet on Meteor are 250MB for 4.99 or 10gig for 14.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

If you were 'tricked' into signing a contract without being shown the details then you should bring it to the attention of the Regulator in the form of an official complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ok since noone here has called things like they are, I guess im going to do it,

To be honest OP did you not think it was a little odd you were getting a heavily discounted phone for nothing on your behalf?

Its your own fault TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Meesared wrote: »
    Ok since noone here has called things like they are, I guess im going to do it,

To be honest OP did you not think it was a little odd you were getting a heavily discounted phone for nothing on your behalf?

Its your own fault TBH

That's nonsense talk. I always sign only 12 month contracts and get heavily discounted iphones or htc equivalents. Sure pay as you are heavily discounted. Its not for nothing, you are paying for the service provision and that's where the profit is made.

He already said it was not an expensive phone.

When I worked in the phone business 12 month was the norm and many a phone would be given free. Especially meteor and three, so desperate to get customers. 18 month as the norm is relatively new, and mainly so they can offer the new expensive smart phones on the cheap.

But, still you've no leg to stand on OP, especially since it sounds like your bills don't go significantly over the standard tarriff amount I can't see meteor extending much good will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Slightly off topic perhaps but just to annoy you a little further. My mum got a text yesterday from meteor (she's on prepay) stating that she could switch to billpay for €20 per month. 200 texts, 200 minutes, all Meteor to Meteor texts free, 1 gb data. 30 day contract. Seems odd that their 18 month contract would be more expensive than their 30 day one.

That's a SIM-only plan and doesn't include a phone handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Compak wrote: »
    That's nonsense talk. I always sign only 12 month contracts and get heavily discounted iphones or htc equivalents. Sure pay as you are heavily discounted. Its not for nothing, you are paying for the service provision and that's where the profit is made.

When I worked in the phone business 12 month was the norm and many a phone would be given free. Especially meteor and three, so desperate to get customers. 18 month as the norm is relatively new, and mainly so they can offer the new expensive smart phones on the cheap.

But, still you've no leg to stand on OP, especially since it sounds like your bills don't go significantly over the standard tarriff amount I can't see meteor extending much good will
    Sorry I dont understand your post at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Meesared wrote: »
    Sorry I dont understand your post at all

The OP didnt think he wasnt signing a new contract, he knew he was getting a new contract, but thought it was 12 months, not 18 months.

Thanks anyway, atleast you were some bit constructive although it sincerely sucks, I will be making some sort of complaint although I don't see where it will get me. I know I'll just end up sticking it out for the extra six months albeit begrudgingly. Seems that meteor are really starting to show their eircom ways, oh well.

Thanks anyway, atleast you were some bit constructive although it sincerely sucks, I will be making some sort of complaint although I don't see where it will get me. I know I'll just end up sticking it out for the extra six months albeit begrudgingly. Seems that meteor are really starting to show their eircom ways, oh well.

I had trouble with meteor before, to the extent that let's just say I ended up with a new number and a lot of bills and letters in the bin for a while.

Same with '3' actually.

Lucky vodafone and especially O2 offer good customer service, or I probably would not have a network to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Contact comreg and they will not be long sorting it out

• Advertisement

Were they being dishonest though? I mean the OP didn't actually take the time to read over the contract. Surely it would have stated somewhere about the length of time they were being committed to?

It seems like Meteor does better prepay deals than bill-pay. When I top up €20 a month, I get free calls and texts to Meteor customers and 1GB internet usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Were they being dishonest though? I mean the OP didn't actually take the time to read over the contract. Surely it would have stated somewhere about the length of time they were being committed to?

Did you even read the OP?

I'd do as jor el advised.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you even read the OP?

I'd do as jor el advised.

Yes we all read, and the OP never read all the terms and conditions. In all likeliness the op signed an 18mth and the assistant was referring to the tarriff and charges been the same, or maybe was deliberately misleading to ensure the commission. Who knows

So when/if contract is checked, and it says 18 months. What can he do? What can Comreg do? Who does the burden of proof rest with? I would think the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes we all read, and the OP never read all the terms and conditions. In all likeliness the op signed an 18mth and the assistant was referring to the tarriff and charges been the same, or maybe was deliberately misleading to ensure the commission. Who knows

The OP asked where they on the same contract. Changing from 12 to 18 months is a different contract, so the shop assistant lied or doesn't know. When you ask the sales assistant a question that is going over the T&C's, if the sales assistant doesn't know the T&Cs that's Meteors fault not the OPs.
    So when/if contract is checked, and it says 18 months. What can he do? What can Comreg do? Who does the burden of proof rest with? I would think the OP

It should be Meteors but unfortunately it'll be the OPs word against someone on commission, who will not remember either way but I have a good idea what their answer will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Addin

Hi,
    I know this is a reasonably old thread but i seen it and figured that my answer might help.

Basically it was not your fault for not reading the contract. the sales representative enacted informed consent. This means that if you were assured that the period of time that the contract would last was 12 months and you did not read the contract then the sales representative has knowingly or unknowing misinformed you. You can then appeal the contract to get the term reduced to 12 which was agreed term length. its like a car dealer telling you your signing a contract for a car and handing you a pigeon. I suggest even if you have given up on this case to report it to the data complaints commissioner so as to prevent this happening to someone else.

I do apologise if the following points have been covered already as i only skimmed the thread but i must point out the following.

1/ if the sales representitive does not remember it happening then that does not mean that it didn't happen and does not effect a case at all the injustice was still done.

2/ it does not boil down to he said she said. There is document proof of everything that goes on with meteor. There may be record phone calls that will show how surprised you were when you found out it was an 18 month contract and there may be video tape evidence of the day in the shop still remaining showing that you never read the contract and before people say there wont be. YOU DON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY (sorry i find a lot of people on boards have that attitude).

Finally i know you are only 1 person but just because your going up against a large company doesn't meant your not in the right you were still unfairly treated. there are too many people who roll over and give up when things like this happen which is what has the country in the state its in today.(yes i know that's cliché lol)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP asked where they on the same contract. Changing from 12 to 18 months is a different contract, so the shop assistant lied or doesn't know. When you ask the sales assistant a question that is going over the T&C's, if the sales assistant doesn't know the T&Cs that's Meteors fault not the OPs.

It should be Meteors but unfortunately it'll be the OPs word against someone on commission, who will not remember either way but I have a good idea what their answer will be.[/QUOTE]

Sure you could say the same about the OP that they will happen to leave something out to put them in the right

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement