Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registration fees

• 25-08-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I will have 2 students in college this Sept .how much will the fees be

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

€2000 x 2 = €4000

It's likely it'll be more though, because different colleges add different charges of their own on. It could be closer to €4300 as a result.

You'll be able to claim back €500 on the second son/daughter in tax relief.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Me and my brother are twins so we have the same situation! You pay the full amount for both (which is €2000 but they're may be extra charges - in UCD we pay €2158, the €158 being the student centre levy) and then €500 is claimed back through the tax system (I'm not sure what the process involved is, but the total will come to €3500 + extra charges).

The extra charges are not tax relievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GAAFan123

dambarude wrote: »
    €2000 x 2 = €4000

It's likely it'll be more though, because different colleges add different charges of their own on. It could be closer to €4300 as a result.

You'll be able to claim back €400 on the second son/daughter in tax relief.

Wrong info.

It's 2000 euro for first child, 1500 euro for second.

GAAFan123 wrote: »
    Wrong info.

It's 2000 euro for first child, 1500 euro for second.

Sorry about that, edited my post.

Me and my brother are twins so we have the same situation! You pay the full amount for both (which is €2000 but they're may be extra charges - in UCD we pay €2158, the €158 being the student centre levy) and then €500 is claimed back through the tax system (I'm not sure what the process involved is, but the total will come to €3500 + extra charges).

The extra charges are not tax relievable.

Nope!

2000 euro for first, 1500 euro for second.

I have an interest in politics and remember this coming in the Budget last year, starting in September 2011!

• Advertisement

Timbuk is right. The government charge is €2000 + €2000, getting €500 back at a later point. But colleges add on their own charges, bringing it over €2000 per student depending on the college you're in.

dambarude wrote: »
    Timbuk is right. The government charge is €2000 + €2000, getting €500 back at a later point. But colleges add on their own charges, bringing it over €2000 per student depending on the college you're in.

No, youre wrong there too!

http://www.educationmatters.ie/2010/12/08/33-per-cent-increase-in-college-fee/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Nope!

2000 euro for first, 1500 euro for second.

I have an interest in politics and remember this coming in the Budget last year, starting in September 2011!

Did you even read my post?

You initially pay €2000 for each student, plus any extra charges the college might put on.

You then claim the €500 back through the tax system (for the second child).

So effectively it's €2000 for the first, €1500 for the second (if you add those together you get €3,500) + any extra charges colleges might have like student centre levies.

Did you even read my post?

You initially pay €2000 for each student, plus any extra charges the college might put on.

You then claim the €500 back through the tax system (for the second child).

So effectively it's €2000 for the first, €1500 for the second (if you add those together you get €3,500) + any extra charges colleges might have like student centre levies.

You're right, I didn't read yor post. The guy above told me I was wrong and I showed I was right. I didn't say you were wrong. Chill.

But you replied to my post and said 'Nope'? :p

Anyway, here's a link if anyone is confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Need more info that that really... you need to look into whether or not your situation allows your kids (I'm guessing they are your kids) to receive a grant, in which case the fees may be something tiny, like 72 euro each, as they are for me. not everyone pays 2,000 euro.

njd2010 wrote: »
    Need more info that that really... you need to look into whether or not your situation allows your kids (I'm guessing they are your kids) to receive a grant, in which case the fees may be something tiny, like 72 euro each, as they are for me. not everyone pays 2,000 euro.

And also, depending on where you live, whether or not you'll have to pay for accommodation. Rent/On-campus fees vary a lot between the different cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

Don't quilify for any grants.just above limits.will have to pay for everything.

Unfortunately you'll definitely have to pay the reg fee so. It's families who just miss out on the grants that are getting squeezed most.

Are you sure you don't qualify for partial grants, or even just the free registration fee?

Advertisement