Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 3.0, Help needed :)

Options
  • 25-08-2011 6:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I bought this USB 3.0 pci express card on fleabay two weeks ago and installed it today, after I had to wait another week for a molex to floppy drive lead to power the thing as it wasn't supplied :mad: Today I ran a few tests with my USB 3.0 hard-drive and was slightly disappointed.

I installed it today complete with power lead and am quite disappointed with its speeds, on my USB 2.0 I would get between 25 - 40MB (megabytes) a second up and down depending on whether I was uploading stuff to the drive or copying stuff down.

With the USB 3.0 card installed I am getting around 60-70MB (Megabyte) a second and there is no real difference between up and download speed, I find the smaller the file the higher the speed, if I drag across a 200MB file it will come across almost instantly but when I began copying across a 10GB video file it started off really fast at around 200MBps and then slowed down after a few seconds to around 62MBps.

Like there is a good speed improvement of about double my USB 2.0 speed but I am getting nowhere near the gigabytes of speed USB 3.0 is purported to deliver.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Have a usb 3 hard drive and its about 60-80 MB that's about as fast as you'll get unless you get a solid state drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

The gigabytes per second speed is only theoretical- in practise you are limited by the read/write times of your hard drive and the external disk. The interface is fast, but you can't get information to and from it at the maximum speed it supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

USB 2 is rated for 480mbps but as you're well aware you get nowhere near that. your speeds seem fine for USB 3.

Advertisement