Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wont honour contract

Options
  • 25-08-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

So an Eircom rep got me to sign up for broadband last december. 21.99 a month NGB up to 8mb, I was delighted and asked him why it was cheaper, he told me the phone line was active and it was better for eircom to offer a cheap deal than get nothing off me. Happy days.

Fast forward 6 months, Bill shoots up to 70 odd euro. After trying for nearly a month someone in Eircom will finally talk to me about it. I've been promised managers will call me back, told the offer doesn't exist and been hung up on by this stage.

He says my contract says its only 6 months at that price and reads out the relevant part at the top of the page, my copy says differently. He says ok there must be some mix up and asks me to read mine out, I do.
    He apologises for the mix up and he says If I e-mail him a copy and it is as I say then he will organise to clear the outstanding amount from my a/c declare my contract null and void and close the a/c.

I sent him a scanned copy of the contract signed in my house but added that I wont agree to declaring the contract null and void yet and dont see why they cant fulfill their part of the contract. No reply yet.

My question folks is can they declare the contract null and void because basically the want me on a more profitable one??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Well what do you want?

I'm sure there is some term in the contract that allows eircom to terminate the contract for what ever reason(reasonable of course) and this might be one of them.

Your in good luck that they simply terminate the contract and insist you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Well what do you want?

I'm sure there is some term in the contract that allows eircom to terminate the contract for what ever reason(reasonable of course) and this might be one of them.

Your in good luck that they simply terminate the contract and insist you pay.

But I have the physical copy which says its at the lower price indefinitely. This isn't a case of being given the wrong form to fill by accident and then trying to take advantage. I was sold the benefits of the 21.99 a month package, the sales rep even went so far as to say I was so lucky because they can usually only offer 6 month trial prices.

6 months later they want to move the goalposts.

I guess what I want to know is Do eircom have to fulfill the contract terms as there is no reseonable reason or exceptional circumstances stopping them, they are not offering a change of terms and giving me the choice to opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What does your contract say about the term length of the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It's probably a twelve month contract. Surely Eircom like Joe Soap shouldn't be able to just remove themselves from an agreed contract before it runs out without compensating the other party?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In the case of a genuine pricing mistake, retailers can cancel the sale. (Remember the Aer Lingus and Littlewoods fiascos where items & flights were sold at ridiculously low prices)?

The question here is, was this a genuine pricing error?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

dudara wrote: »
    In the case of a genuine pricing mistake, retailers can cancel the sale. (Remember the Aer Lingus and Littlewoods fiascos where items & flights were sold at ridiculously low prices)?

I dont think its a pricing error as Eircom and other are frequently part taking in this "promo" activity however the OP has a signed statment stating the period is otherwise indefinate.

A local waste disposal company called to my house a few months ago. Gave me an offer way cheaper than my current supplier however he never stated anything verbally about the offer only been 6 months long(we never got as far as paper work) because I asked and it turned out that the remaining 6 months would double the bill and in turn I would be paying a lot more than my current supplier.

OP.....you could threaten small claims court unless they allowed the price for the outstanding period of the contract. Also in your calls to eircom they would have stated that the offer does not exist becasue as of today(ie the time you called) no offer was in existance and Im sure those door to door guys are given good offers to entice you to sign over.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It's probably a twelve month contract. Surely Eircom like Joe Soap shouldn't be able to just remove themselves from an agreed contract before it runs out without compensating the other party?

I think so, it says I am liable to a termination charge if I terminate contract inside 12 months. Have not had any response since I sent the scan of the contract, will be interesting to see what happens

dudara wrote: »

I doubt its a pricing error , the rep was absolute about the deal and we filled out an eircom form with the pricing on it. It was a trial line promo with prices only available during a 3 month period(according to the paperwork}

I work in sales myself and quizzed the guy.

I think its more likely the sale was loaded wrong, there seems to be dozens of pricing combinations. Errors can happen, its no problem as long a they get fixed.

Their attitude has been terrible to me so far so im gonna dig the heels in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Best of luck with it OP. Keep us informed. Amazing how threads where posters want out of contracts early as they didn't bother reading them correctly get tore apart yet the same vile is not directed at Eircom for the same.

Eircom finally got back to me today, they will now give me the price I was sold at for 12 months. Delighted with this result but it took some work (something like 14 calls before I was entertained at all)

fair play to the guy who sorted this for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Nice outcome, Most providers have a clause keeping hte customer in contract but allowing them to cancel on 30 days notice

Advertisement