Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Rises!!??

• 25-08-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently with Airtricity and with their upcoming price rise i am considering going back to ESB.

I am wondering will ESB be rising their prices soon and if i get the Super Saver plan how long will these unit rates be for?

Am i right in thinking that the unit rate on supersaver taking the direct debit with online billing option is 0.1209 before tax?

Thanks,
    Holuc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi holuc,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Unfortunately our price plans have been modified, effective from today.

We will also be raising our overall prices from October 1st - I have just posted a Q&A thread about this. The associated press release, which has just gone live, can be found here.

With our new price plans, you can get up to 6% off our standard rates if you are an electricity only customer, and up to 9% if you have both gas and electricity with ESB Electric Ireland. We will continue to provide discounts of up to 6% against the prevailing Bord Gáis Energy gas prices.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

I completed the online form to switch to ESB Electric Ireland from Airttricity 10 days before the new price plans were announced. My email from ESB says I have joined 'Supersaver plan'. Will I get the old discount plan or the new discount plan?

Bonkers.ie is now saying that Electric Ireland will be the most expensive of all providers after October.

Tom

Hi phoenix999,

You will still be signed up to the Supersaver price plan, and the associated discount rate will be applicable until 31st March 2012.
    phoenix999 wrote:
    Bonkers.ie is now saying that Electric Ireland will be the most expensive of all providers after October.

Unfortunately, this is correct. Bonkers.ie are currently working with the updated information we released on Friday, so I would imagine their figures are reliable.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi David,

Can you clear this up for me please? I signed over to ESB last week on the understanding that I was signing up to a service that was cheaper than Bord Gais for electricity. Can you confirm that my rates will be cheaper than those offered by Bord Gais?

Hi whitelightrider,

You should still be ok. When you contacted me back in July, I advised you based on the most up to date information available to me. If you signed up to the Supersaver price plan last week, the associated discount (up to 14% for electricity-only customers) will remain active on your account until 31/03/2012. These discounts are off our standard rates, which are subject to change. Regrettably, these standard rates will be changing from October 1st.

The information mentioned above from bonkers.ie only takes into account the offers available at the time quoted (in this case, from October onwards) when deciding which supplier is cheapest or the most expensive at that particular time. In other words, it bases its conclusions on the offers that the respective suppliers will have available to their customers (rather than those that have expired, but that some customers would nonetheless still be on). From October onwards cutomers considering switching to us will not have the option of signing up to our Supersaver price plan, which is now discontinued. Instead they will have the option of signing up to our Valuesaver, which offers discounts of up to 9% off our standard rates.

The Bord Gáis electricity price increase of 12% came into effect from August 1st - two full months before ours. So for August and September there would be significant savings to be made. In your situation, your discount period with Bord Gáis had expired, as I understood it. So you would have been subject to the full increase of 12% in addition to having already lost your discounts. Switching to us in those circumstances would have been a no-brainer.

After October, our Supersaver customers will still enjoy a lower rate than Bord Gáis customers on no discount, albeit by a narrower margin.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 darkdiver

Hi whitelightrider,
    The information mentioned above from bonkers.ie only takes into account the offers available at the time quoted (in this case, from October onwards) when deciding which supplier is cheapest or the most expensive at that particular time. In other words, it bases its conclusions on the offers that the respective suppliers will have available to their customers (rather than those that have expired, but that some customers would nonetheless still be on). From October onwards cutomers considering switching to us will not have the option of signing up to our Supersaver price plan, which is now discontinued. Instead they will have the option of signing up to our Valuesaver, which offers discounts of up to 9% off our standard rates.

David.

Hi David,

Just to make a small point - the quotes generated by bonkers.ie are based on the tariff the customer says they are currently with - if a customer says they are with SuperSaver then we use those unit rates & standing charges in the calculations (we keep a history of all tariffs going back a number of years, the customer chooses their tariff).

The site then makes the calculations based on what the customer *would* pay for the same amount of electricity or gas from all suppliers - calculating the consumption automatically. The results show the saving (or increase) in what the customer would pay for a year.

If the customer does not know the name of their tariff, they can use the "Advanced Search" function and enter their unit rates to get an accurate calculation. In all cases, the tariffs shown in the results are those which are available for sign up at the time.

Hth.

Thanks, David [from bonkers.ie]

Hi David,

Very much appreciate the clarification - I was aware that you keep a record of past tariffs, but was afraid if I went into further detail in my post I would veer off track, so thanks for saying the above far better than I could manage.

Fantastic site by the way, I always check it myself. :)

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darkdiver

Hi David,

Fantastic site by the way, I always check it myself. :)

Thanks,

David.

thanks David!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi whitelightrider,

You should still be ok. When you contacted me back in July, I advised you based on the most up to date information available to me. If you signed up to the Supersaver price plan last week, the associated discount (up to 14% for electricity-only customers) will remain active on your account until 31/03/2012. These discounts are off our standard rates, which are subject to change. Regrettably, these standard rates will be changing from October 1st.

The Bord Gáis electricity price increase of 12% came into effect from August 1st - two full months before ours. So for August and September there would be significant savings to be made. In your situation, your discount period with Bord Gáis had expired, as I understood it. So you would have been subject to the full increase of 12% in addition to having already lost your discounts. Switching to us in those circumstances would have been a no-brainer.

After October, our Supersaver customers will still enjoy a lower rate than Bord Gáis customers on no discount, albeit by a narrower margin.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks,

David.

Thats perfect David. Many thanks for clearing it up for me and thanks for all your help switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

LOL

After all the hassle of cancelling Airtricity a couple of weeks ago and changing to ESB, bonkers.ie now tells me that Airtricty are cheaper.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

kleefarr wrote: »
    LOL

After all the hassle of cancelling Airtricity a couple of weeks ago and changing to ESB, bonkers.ie now tells me that Airtricty are cheaper.

LOL

Don't know how you came to that conclusion, i checked last nite and got that ESB are still cheaper with the DD and the paperless bills!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

This is how...

Advertisement