Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Student Times?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

It's unofficial I think. Not tied to UL, LIT or Mary I.

Not that I care, I'll look at it once and then never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

http://thomondstudenttimes.com/

I think It looks great! Better than that **** rag an focal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Agreed.

I think it looks really well. Fair play to them.

An Focal should have went online years ago. I would say there is some unreal amount of your €72 wasted on printing so many copies of it... add to that the the "news" is two weeks old when you read it.

But then again An Focal was always only used as a means for communications officers to enhance their CVs, not about spreading news.

Think TST is run by journalism students, the course is only in it's 4th year so I guess they finally got sick of writing for an focal.

The guide to UL video is very well done

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Man I agree, that guide to UL is hilarious. That's the guy who used to be DJ Daycent.

Here's the link to that video

Well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    An Focal should have went online years ago.

An Focail was online when I was in UL 15 years ago, is it not still? I take your point, as it was still printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

But then again An Focal was always only used as a means for communications officers to enhance their CVs, not about spreading news.

Oh please... :rolleyes:

testicle wrote: »
    An Focail was online when I was in UL 15 years ago, is it not still? I take your point, as it was still printed.

It is uploaded onto some free hosting site so the paper can be read online, but what i was implying was an online thing paper like independent.ie could be set up so news etc can be put up as it happens and articles etc rolled out as they are submitted rather than waiting two weeks and then fighting for space on the physical paper and having your article slashed so it can fit in.

Sorta the exact thing that TST has done!

Oh please... :rolleyes:

http://sucommunications.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/58/

What a a great counter argument. Read SU Communications officer Kelly O' Brien's latest "blog", probably the most self indulgent waffle I've ever read, she spends half of it talking about her own day.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Nothing wrong with writing a blog about how your day went. There's a person behind the office after all! If you don't want to know how my day went, just don't read it.

Also re: above threads, I am in the process of putting An Focal online (properly) like it should have been years ago. I am getting UL FM up and running first and then I'll be working on anfocal.ulsu.ie. It will be up and running by the end of the semester.

And if you want to say that it's just a way to boost a Comms Officers CV, that's fine. It has happened in the past so you're allowed to be pessimistic about it. But from a personal point of view, I'm doing it for a number of reasons. Top of the list would be because I genuinely love the work... but I digress, if you wanted to read my personal drivel, you'd just read my blog wouldn't you :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Legal questions relating to the registration of anfocal.ie are currently are currently with the Union solicitors.

Wasn't anfocal.ie part of Keith O Neills manifesto last year? Maybe he registered it already, preventing the union from doing so.

EDIT: anfocal.ie appears to be a registered domain already, question is, who registered it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

EDIT: anfocal.ie appears to be a registered domain already, question is, who registered it?
    Dunno, but it's only registered for another 4 days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

ninty9er wrote: »
    Legal questions relating to the registration of anfocal.ie are currently are currently with the Union solicitors.

SERIOUSLY? ha, the irony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Shakeyspears

The site seems to be ahead of An Focal for every story of interest. The SU crowd would want to get the finger out and stop devoting everything to ULFM. Two weeks wait for a report on the C & S case was an absolute joke.

Did ULFM have a news bulletin for it or anything??? Heir Daly probably wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

The site seems to be ahead of An Focal for every story of interest. The SU crowd would want to get the finger out and stop devoting everything to ULFM. Two weeks wait for a report on the C & S case was an absolute joke.

Did ULFM have a news bulletin for it or anything???
    Heir Daly probably wouldn't allow it.

ULFM doesn't have any facilities for this up and running yet. There isn't a show dedicated to news at all on the schedule.

Moving back on topic, I can see TST going far.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

An focal has really gone down in quality this year, there was absolutely nothing in it this week....I'd say they better get they're act together!

As for TST they're doing ok, I hope they continue to offer an unbiased opinion of things. If ya read an focal you would think the SU is mecca!
    :D
    Did anyone see that letter to the editor from Enda Gallery? Got a lot of people talking heres the link http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/letters/111-the-start-of-another-generation-of-the-same-old-****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

joey12 wrote: »
    Did anyone see that letter to the editor from Enda Gallery? Got a lot of people talking heres the link http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/letters/111-the-start-of-another-generation-of-the-same-old-****

Certainly makes for an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I occasionally stick up rugby articles under the sports section. I really like how the site is going and I think it offers an impartial alternative to An Focal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Shakeyspears

You don't need any facilities for a news bulletin. All it takes is some recording equipment (you could literally do it on a laptop) and a small bit of editing software (doesn't even have to be Adobe audition, the free one you download online are more than adequate). Both of those "facilities" are available in the Journalism room in the Engineering building at this moment just waiting for them to be used.

Maybe, they think people just want to hear Eagle Eye Cherry and U2 but it's important to get some news coverage in there. Christ, even if it was a summary of what gossip Perez Hilton has or some rhubarb like that just make an attempt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement