Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about on campus Accomodation?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I got an email from UCD telling me I have 24 hours to book accomodation and pay the deposit or the offer goes to someone else. Few things...

1. Anyone know what the best apartment for first years is? I heard Belgrove has mostly first years so I was thinking of booking it there...

2. I still have a chance of getting my first CAO choice (5 points off, it went down by 5 in the 2nd round last year) so I'm nervous about forking over 350 for a deposit which I assume is non-refundable if I don't even end up going there.

Advice? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

Hiya!

Just on your first point....
    I heard that Belgrove has mostly 1st years 2 but booked glenomena in da end cus i cud hav my own bedroom and bathroom! Its up 2 u, i guess. I think glenomena and roebuck hall are newer 2.

On your second point....
    I honestly dunno wat 2 say but maybe u shud ring some of them helplines that have been in da newspaper recently and perhaps they can advise u. just a suggestion (dunno if it helps or not).

I can c y u dont wanna fork out money 4 college if u dont get ur course. think carefully bout it. Best of Luck!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

DANCE111 wrote: »
    Hiya!

Just on your first point....
    I heard that Belgrove has mostly 1st years 2 but booked glenomena in da end cus i cud hav my own bedroom and bathroom! Its up 2 u, i guess. I think glenomena and roebuck hall are newer 2.

On your second point....
    I honestly dunno wat 2 say but maybe u shud ring some of them helplines that have been in da newspaper recently and perhaps they can advise u. just a suggestion (dunno if it helps or not).

I can c y u dont wanna fork out money 4 college if u dont get ur course. think carefully bout it. Best of Luck!!! :)

How do you know you have your own bathroom in glenomena ? Do you get your own bathroom and bedroom in the catered part of reobuck by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Hey guys all first years seam to be replying here. Hopefully I can shine some light on the subject for ye all.

IMO merville is probably one of the better residences overall, provided you get one of the apartments which has been done up recently. It also has the only proper shop on campus(centra) which is very handy. Roebuck and glenomena are about €1000 more expensive and for that you get all en suite bedrooms and 6 people per house. Mervile only has 4 while belgrove has 3.
    Belgrove is probably the oldest of the 4 residence at this stage(its even nicknamed belgrade), it is the closet residence to the rest of campus buildings though but is about a 5 min walk to the other residences and on saying that though it is good crack generally. That said every year the residence that has the most parties seams to change. In my first year roebuck was by far the best for parties. Last year it was merville.

Glenomena tends to be the quieter of the 4 residences generally so if you intend on doing lots of study then go for there.

Also as far as I remember back in the day four years ago when I was in 1st year if you got offered a different course in 2nd round CAO they give back the deposit and any fees you have paid to the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭WatchOut

cozzie55 wrote: »
    Hey guys all first years seam to be replying here. Hopefully I can shine some light on the subject for ye all.

IMO merville is probably one of the better residences overall, provided you get one of the apartments which has been done up recently. It also has the only proper shop on campus(centra) which is very handy. Roebuck and glenomena are about €1000 more expensive and for that you get all en suite bedrooms and 6 people per house. Mervile only has 4 while belgrove has 3.
    Belgrove is probably the oldest of the 4 residence at this stage(its even nicknamed belgrade), it is the closet residence to the rest of campus buildings though but is about a 5 min walk to the other residences and on saying that though it is good crack generally. That said every year the residence that has the most parties seams to change. In my first year roebuck was by far the best for parties. Last year it was merville.

Glenomena tends to be the quieter of the 4 residences generally so if you intend on doing lots of study then go for there.

Also as far as I remember back in the day four years ago when I was in 1st year if you got offered a different course in 2nd round CAO they give back the deposit and any fees you have paid to the college.

Thanks, great info! :) Which do you think is the best place for 1st years to live? I have to book my accomodation tomorrow morning and there are so many places to choose from, I really don't know what to do! Do people in Belgrove get their own room?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

doctorg wrote: »
    How do you know you have your own bathroom in glenomena ? Do you get your own bathroom and bedroom in the catered part of reobuck by any chance ?

Glenomena, Roebuck Halls and Roebuck Catered all have ensuites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

doctorg wrote: »

When i was bookin it...da SIS said dat all da rooms in Glenomena were ensuite! No idea bout roebuck but u shud b able 2 find out if u got offered accom 2day. Worst case scenario email residences@ucd.ie I've emailed them a few times and they've been really helpful!:D Hope this helps!;)

WatchOut wrote: »
    Thanks, great info! :) Which do you think is the best place for 1st years to live? I have to book my accomodation tomorrow morning and there are so many places to choose from, I really don't know what to do! Do people in Belgrove get their own room?
    I'd go for merville,
    although try get one of the redeveloped apartments, unfortunately i have no idea what numbers they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Davidmator

I was offered a place but turned it down. Got a house with my friend nearby! A lot of people said campus was too noisy and I like my sleep!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭WatchOut

cozzie55 wrote: »
    I'd go for merville,
    although try get one of the redeveloped apartments, unfortunately i have no idea what numbers they are.

Payed my deposit on Merville today :D

WatchOut wrote: »
    Payed my deposit on Merville today :D

Good one. What number house did you go for and i'll try remember if it is done up or not? PM me if you don't want to post it here for everyone to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 goosey93

i have been told de house wit de higher numbers in merville r done up so go for dem :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement