Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Access into NAS with UPC ?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I recently bought one of these NAS Linkstation Pro 2TB .

It comes with its own built in remote access web service for accessing your files remotely which works fines .

It also has a cool built in Bittorent client so you have it downloading straight to the NAS without any need for a PC etc to be on .

The problem im having is that the bittorent client is not available to access remotely using the supplied web interface . It allows files transfer etc but not the bittorent client .

It can accessed if my router had a static I.P assigned by UPC as all I would need to do would be to address (eg) :
    http://"my ip" / "nas i.p" :8080

And i could then remotely access the bittorrent client on the NAS at home say from work .

As you can see my router cant always be on a static i.p from UPC .

Is there a free DNS service available that would get me over this problem ?

I apologise if im not using the proper terminology and i hope you understand my question .

Ta in advance .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sleepless.ie

I've used a dynamic DNS service before, its not free but it is cheap.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/ says it free but ive never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've used the free version of DynDns for years, does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Alun wrote: »
    I've used the free version of DynDns for years, does exactly what it says on the tin.

Do you think it (dyndns) would get me over my problem ?

mixednuts wrote: »
    Do you think it (dyndns) would get me over my problem ?
    Should do ... you have to find some way of regularly updating the IP address though when it changes, either using their client on a PC in your network, or sometimes routers have the capability built in. You register a unique subdomain name, say loonybin.dyndns.org and then set up port forwarding on your router such that a port number of your choosing, say 8081 is forwarded to port 8080 on your NAS. It's also necessary to either provide your NAS with a static IP, or reserve an address in the DHCP configuration on your router otherwise you'll have to update the port forwarding rule if your NAS's IP changes.

You then access the web interface via http://loonybin.dyndns.org:8081

I do something similar to access a webcam on my network and it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Alun wrote: »
    Should do ... you have to find some way of regularly updating the IP address though when it changes, either using their client on a PC in your network, or sometimes routers have the capability built in. You register a unique subdomain name, say loonybin.dyndns.org and then set up port forwarding on your router such that a port number of your choosing, say 8081 is forwarded to port 8080 on your NAS. It's also necessary to either provide your NAS with a static IP, or reserve an address in the DHCP configuration on your router otherwise you'll have to update the port forwarding rule if your NAS's IP changes.

You then access the web interface via http://loonybin.dyndns.org:8081

I do something similar to access a webcam on my network and it works fine.

I Get it , thanks .

I have reserved an i.p address on my DHCP config for all attached devices .
    Laptop
    iphone
    Nas
    PS3
    ATV2

So that makes them as good as static routes .

My only concern with moving over to dyndns is that i will cock up say the PS3 online settings ...or am i worrying over nothing.

• Advertisement

It affects nothing on your local network. You still use the same DNS settings for all your devices, all dyndns does is to allow you to access your router's WAN interface, and by extension using port forwarding, devices attached to your network, from the internet.

Advertisement