Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what 20g or 12g, (long winded opening post)

Options
  • 25-08-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

the girlfriends shotgun has give up, its no shame for it as it was a scraper to start with, but now that we know she want's to shoot were going to buy a gun of fair condition,
    it will only be used for clays, were looking for something in 30" multi choke, she wants a 20g as she's a bit on the small size and likes the fact that the 20g is a lot lighter and easier to hold and mount,
    i'm a bit weary of the 20g, as i have 12g and have heard so many horror story's of mistakes being made and a 20g shell being drop'd down a 12g barrel and causing a blockage, and lets face it no matter how careful you are accidents can and will happen,
    add the fact that i feel the heavier 12g will have less recoil for her, i've told her that i think this but she'd still prefer a 20g, were going to a dealer on fri night and hope to get a shot out of a 20g, so we'll know about this come then.
    to date the most common 20g we've come across in our local dealer's within our budget is bettinsoli, and also a lamber (but i dont think it was multi choke),
    i know that the 12g bettinsoli had a problem with double discharge or not firing the 2nd barrel, so much so that one of the dealers told me that he sold 25 of them and had 3 back with these problems, that works out at about 10% of them were faulty, (i know its actually 12% but i'm allowing that he just had a bad run with them) and another dealer told me to stay well clear of them,
    on the other hand i know of 2 men who have 12g bettinsoli's and have never have any problems,
    so, after a long winded post what i'm asking is, would you buy a 20g bettinsoli, knowing that they have a history of faults in their 12g, or what would you buy, would you even buy a 20g? or stick to the 12g's
    seen a webley and scott 20g, new for £650 + 100 for shipping on gun trader, but again i've look'd at a 12g and didnt like the feel of it, but i'm not the one who'll be shooting it,
    sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read it,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

yog1,
    I don't come across the ammo for the sweet 16's in Ireland enough to recommend buying one. However, I shot a friends Browning A5 and to this day, I am still looking for one [that I can afford].

Anyhow, when I head to shoot some trap and skeet, I always bring along two guns: 12ga for trap and 20ga for skeet.

I usually use my field shooter on the trap range to practice for the season. If I have been shooting a lot, I'll bring the 870 pump for fun.

When it comes to skeet, swinging is the name of the game. That's when I swear by my Browning Citori in 20ga. I break the clay better at skeet with the Citori than any of my 12ga's.

The 20ga does well on the trap field, but my 12ga's beat her at this game. I can shoot just as well though with the 20ga when I throw in the X-Full choke.

If you can get a Citori, get one, you'll never regret it.

I have zero experience with the firearms you mentioned. Which one comes with the best warranty?

I don't think I would go with a 30" 20ga. Something smaller, like a 26" or 28". I think my Citori is a 26" with extended chokes. You can get 2" of extension with some chokes.

Go with the 20ga. They are a lot of fun. Just suss out the availability and cost of ammo first. In the states, we pay the same for 12's and 20's.

I know my father used to call the 20ga a "lady's gun." Well let me tell you something, if you can break clay with them, you'll drop every bird in the field.

Also, nothing commands more respect when we are shooting with some lad that shows up on the trap field with a 28ga or 410! Shot with a fella the other day who had a 28ga and only missed 3/25. I would love to get one, but cannot justify the cost at this time.

Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

problem solved, bought a miroku mk3800, 30" trap gun 12g, fixed choke,:o but she'll only be shooting down the line for the first while anyway, and if she wants to shoot sporting clay's we'll change it in a year or two or buy one for sporting clays,

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

does anyone know anything about those adjustable but pad/plates,
    http://www.monstermarketplace.com/shooting-equipment-and-gun-accessories/adjustable-butt-plate
    the girlfriend needs a lop of around 13" and the gun we bought is around 14.5" so it needs to have a bit cut off the stock, now this will severely affect the price if we ever decide to re-sell the gun, not too many shooters 5ft tall and finding one to sell a trap gun to could take a while,
    i was thinking of getting a stock made to suit her, keep the old stock and just screw it on if we ever needed to, but the thought of a forend and stock not matching on a trap gun doesn't sit that well with me, so i thought "screw it, just cut the stock and the gun will look the way it's ment to,
    then someone told me about the adjustable but pad idea, would probably cost the same as getting a stock made, and would leave the gun so it could suit a variety of people and the existing stock could then be left on the gun so forend and stock would match,
    i wonder do you get one that adjust 2" or so, as most guns i find are around 14.5" to 15" lop, and it would then fit both me and her,
    what are your views:confused:

Advertisement