Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network (should be easy)

Options
  • 25-08-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

hi all.
    doing some work for my brother on his home network.

he has one laptop and one linux based settop box.

but are connected wirelessly to a Thompson 585 router.

the laptop should see the settop box but it does not.

when i connect to the router via the lap i can see that the router "sees" the set top box.

so i think its that the router is blocking communication between devices on home network.

i cannot seem to locate a function or setting on the router that would help me to "open up" the home network so that devices on the home network will see each other and communicate.

can someone please help me out here as i dont want to let my brother down...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are you connecting wirelessly? If so check that client isolation is turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

Spear wrote: »
    Are you connecting wirelessly? If so check that client isolation is turned off.

both devices are connecting wirelessly.

i'll google client isolation and thompson 585 routers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sometimes it's called 'AP isolation' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

Alun wrote: »
    Sometimes it's called 'AP isolation' too.

i cannot see it mentions in the manual at all and cant find a setting on the router itself!!! arrgh!

i dont suppose anyone has one of these routers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

wild_eyed wrote: »
    i cannot see it mentions in the manual at all and cant find a setting on the router itself!!! arrgh!

i dont suppose anyone has one of these routers?

In the meantime, let's check some basic aspects first. Can you ping from one to the other? Are each of them running local firewalls?

• Advertisement
Advertisement