Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneers and selling prices

Options
  • 25-08-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Anyone know if there's a way to find out the selling price that a house recently sold for?! I know in the past auctioneers were very tight-lipped on stuff like this even though they would have no problem telling you what the latest offer was the day before a house actually went sale agreed. Asking the owner seems a no-no as I have no doubt they'd be even more tight-lipped than an auctioneer!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a way to find out the selling price that a house recently sold for?! I know in the past auctioneers were very tight-lipped on stuff like this even though they would have no problem telling you what the latest offer was the day before a house actually went sale agreed. Asking the owner seems a no-no as I have no doubt they'd be even more tight-lipped than an auctioneer!

No, thats confidential information, maybe by asking a neighbour nearby who knew the previous owner or the previous owners themselves. That's why its hard to find out the true value of properties whatever the year. Its what valuations are meant to be based on but thats not the case in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 46 macbrada

Not possible to my knowledge..you can track asking price changes on a few sites such as irishpropertywatch and globrix.....the auctioneers have it sewn up and I think you prob can guess how honest they are these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

That's what I was figuring alright... But I really don't see how the info can be confidential if other bidders involved are told how much they've been overbid by etc. Also, all open offers are always freely disclosed before a house goes sale agreed.

Grrr... would the government do something about this whole asking price / selling price thing! If not, then websites like thepropertypin should allow users to enter offers they know of on properties... That would put some transparency on things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

MrThrifty wrote: »
    That's what I was figuring alright... But I really don't see how the info can be confidential if other bidders involved are told how much they've been overbid by etc. Also, all open offers are always freely disclosed before a house goes sale agreed.

Grrr... would the government do something about this whole asking price / selling price thing! If not, then websites like thepropertypin should allow users to enter offers they know of on properties... That would put some transparency on things.

Other bidders will be told how much somebody has bid on another property, thats all, most of the time its done with the intention of acting as incentive for them to bid more.

The final price the property is sold for is difficult to find out for a number of reasons, the sale agreed price may not be what the property finally sells for. The banks may decide to lower the mortgage limit they are going to give for example to the customer at the latter stages and rather lose a buyer the seller may agree to just sell it as long as its still above the other bids made.

It's a big grey area and alot of things can go wrong, lots of bull**** is spouted aswell so its not hard to see why very few people end up really knowing what the property sold for.

I would take between 10-20% off the asking price houses are being qouted on average today depending on differend variables.

Advertisement