Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling question

• 25-08-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

HI Everyone,
    Looking for a bit of help. We have just bought some new tiles for our bathroom floor and I was wondering roughly how much we should be expected to pay a tiler to put them in. The bathroom is 8f 2i by 5f 2 in, I have never hired a tiler before and want to know what to expect before I book someone,

Also can anyone tell me how to calculate 8f2i by 5f2i into square yards,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

£100 quid should do it really..It's only 5 yards so they wouldnt charge by area,Plus you have the cutting around doors,toilets,sinks etc..Should get a Pro for E100.Dont waste your time on handy men for the sake of a few bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Prop Joe wrote: »
    £100 quid should do it really..It's only 5 yards so they wouldnt charge by area,Plus you have the cutting around doors,toilets,sinks etc..Should get a Pro for E100.Dont waste your time on handy men for the sake of a few bob

sounds good but cutting around toilet and pedestal, I think not.

and I like to cut the architrave I think it just lookd better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

sounds good but cutting around toilet and pedestal, I think not.

and I like to cut the architrave I think it just lookd better.

I mean any good tiler will take out the toilet and sink,And agree with cutting the architrave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It all the depends on what you expect the tiler to do. Some are proficient enough to take out toilers etc. The tiler will need to see the condition of the floor. Budget for 150 but as said above you might get it for 100.

Is there tiles down. Are you taking these up - These are an additional charge. The floor may also need to be scraped and leveled especioally concrete. These will all be charged extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Thanks very much for the replys, So I guess I should be looking at 150 euros

There is just bare timber floors down at the moment so that should be easier for the tiler.

Should I be expecting the tiler to remove the sink and toilet to get the job done right or should he be able to cut around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

shnethb wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the replys, So I guess I should be looking at 150 euros

There is just bare timber floors down at the moment so that should be easier for the tiler.

Should I be expecting the tiler to remove the sink and toilet to get the job done right or should he be able to cut around it.

Bear timber floors means ply and primer will have to be laid over it. For a better job remove the toilet and sink. A tiler will charge you extra for this. A plumber will charge around 150 so bear that in min if a tiler seems to be looking for too much. Depending on where the toilet outlets etc are running you might need to buy a few ned plumbing bits to extend sink waste and pipes etc. This is normal when you tile on wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

if your removing toilet and sink which is the best way ask plumber/tiler to fit shut off valves on all pipes.these are small,neat and cost about a euro each.same as on your washing machine.if you ever have any leaks you can isolate either toilet or sink without shutting off water to bathroom.fix price to remove/replace wear then ask for valves to be thrown in free of charge.you should get this done free.

Advertisement