Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with .22 Pistol

Options
  • 25-08-2011 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I have been doing alot of research into the type of .22 Pistol I would like to own for gallery target and after firing Ruger, S&W, Hammerli, Walther and Kimber model. I have come to the conclusion the Kimber 1911 was most suited to my needs.
    Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to be granted a license for this type of firearm, whether it be the Kimber, Sig, Browning, or colt version of this classic firearm.
    Also can anyone recomend a good dealer or smith to purchase from.
    Thanks in advance

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You won't be granted a licence for any centrefire 1911 type pistol, it would also be difficult to licence a .22 lr version as it is not on the approved list ,it depends on your super/chief super.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

If the handgun is only 22lr and the magazine is only capable of holding a maximum of 5 rounds and you have good reason of use you should be able to own any of the above pistols.

The only good reason to own a pistol is for target shooting and therefore you must join a range that has a pistol range and you must compete in comptetions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Kimber isn't on the list of approved target pistols in the Garda Commissioner's Guidelines so you might find it awkward to licence it.

It pretty much depends on the Super reviewing your application.

They aren't supposed to, but some Supers are using the guidelines as THE ONLY LIST and are refusing to issue licences for guns not on that list (which is technically wrong).

If you like the gun, then go for it. No harm talking to your local firearm officer first and asking him to check the water and see what the Super thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Also if you are dead set on the 1911 type of pistol , german sport guns (gsg) are doing one in .22 lr and it is supposed to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonny1mac

Thanks for the feed back, yes it is .22 calibre I am looking at and yes I belong to a club. As it is the hundred year aniversary of the 1911 pistol I know Sig, browning, colt, GSI and Kimber are all manufacturing their own versions. I live in the tallaght area, any one know how siympathetic the Super is to applications of this nature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

jonny1mac wrote: »
    Thanks for the feed back, yes it is .22 calibre I am looking at and yes I belong to a club. As it is the hundred year aniversary of the 1911 pistol I know Sig, browning, colt, GSI and Kimber are all manufacturing their own versions. I live in the tallaght area, any one know how siympathetic the Super is to applications of this nature?

The only true way to find out is to phone up the Supers secretary and ask her how the land lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Try looking into a ruger 22/45 bull barrel. We would all rather to own full size center fire pistol, which I did.

But looking at the list the 22/45 stood out to be a .22 pistol with the grip of a full size pistol. Its ment to be a fun pistol to shoot and also nice and accurate.

Cheap to shoot aswell and yes I have just ordered one :)

Advertisement