Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer with the highest Alc. Vol. %

• 25-08-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

chin_grin wrote: »
    Brewdog's End of History is stronger again and I think the record has been broken a couple of times since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Do ice-distilled beverages still count as beer though?

Do ice-distilled beverages still count as beer though?
    Depends on the strength of the beer and the rulebook you're following.

I guess it counts then, not a fan of rulebooks. I just think that something like Sam Adams Utopias is more impressive than those above it as it achieved its ABV through nursing the yeast. All the stronger beers brewed a lower ABV beer and then reduced the volume through distillation.

They may still be beer, but I always believed that distillation implied spirit.

• Advertisement

I always believed that distillation implied spirit.
    That rule makes Labatt's Ice a spirit, at about 5% ABV.

Darn rule books!

BeerNut wrote: »
    That rule makes Labatt's Ice a spirit, at about 5% ABV.

Does that make it illegal to attempt to clone Labatt's Ice at home?

Does that make it illegal to attempt to clone Labatt's Ice at home?
    Illegal and immoral :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Anything above 10% begins to taste like spirits to me, which I don't like the taste of. Had a Rochefort 10 (11.3) a while ago thats about as high as I'd go and then only once in a blue moon (not the Coors beer, very infrequently I mean).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can get Baviaria 8.6 in Spars around the country, its 7.9% abv. Tbh its very rough stuff doesn't really taste like a beer, gets better the more you have :rolleyes: Thats prob the intention. Try Tyskie, its 5.6% and its a really nice beer :)

Nick

Anything above 10% begins to taste like spirits to me
    Even wine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Even wine?

No, wine tastes likes wine to me! I should have said very high abv beer tastes like the strength of something like whiskey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Some high ABV beers just taste like alcohol (Belzébuth or Bière du Démon come to my mind), others are absolutely fine, if a bit warming - Westmalle tripel, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Tokyo

18.2%:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Tactical Nuclear Penguin

32%:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You'll be out of space for :eek:s by the time you get to The End of History.

As far as I know, Koelschip's Start the Future (see what they did there?) is the current strongest, at 60% ABV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

busyliving wrote: »
    Tokyo

Beautiful beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

busyliving wrote: »
    Tokyo

Oh god i had a bottle of this a few weeks ago.. Did not enjoy it...

A friend wants me to split a bottle of 'Sink the Bismark' with him.. but at 80 bills a bottle.. Fook that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Haven't really tried high Alc.Vol.% beers yet but I did have a few bottles of Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA last night and it was 7.1%.

Lovely beer. Not sure I could stomach anything over 10% though tbh. Just doesn't feel like beer anymore at that %

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cson

Steel Reserve ain't bad for a high ABV beer.

I just think that something like Sam Adams Utopias is more impressive than those above it as it achieved its ABV through nursing the yeast.
    BrewDog are now claiming to have made the world's strongest beer based solely on fermentation. Ghost Deer is 28% ABV.

Better get down to BrewDog Edinburgh tonight if you want a go of it :D

BrewDog are now claiming to have made the world's strongest beer based solely on fermentation. Ghost Deer is 28% ABV.

Better get down to BrewDog Edinburgh tonight if you want a go of it :D

I was literally watching the video when you posted that. Darn, why didn't I go back to college for freshers week? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ghost Deer is 28% ABV.
    Thats impressive. I remember reading a about 10 years ago they thought there would be yeasts developed to go past 22% or so. They talk of slowly feeding it sugars and I remember the early homebrew liquer kits had you add more sugar during the brew, once the yeast was used to it.
    We used a variety of yeast strains during the elephantine process and drip fed the fermented masterpiece exotic sugars to ensure the yeast lived long enough to continue the fermentation

I have heard of "turbo yeasts" that will tolerate temps past 40C and up to 38C to 17%, and some newer yeast has activated carbon already in it, so it is taking out nasties as it brews so the yeast can still grow. I know there is a 23% yeast you can buy. But 28% is a huge step up from that.

I do also wonder about the fact that it's barrel-aged. It's an old way of boosting ABV ("grogging") and when tax was based on the OG was a means of dodging some of it. AFAIK it's still technically illegal in England but not in Scotland. It could make the vital 1% ABV difference they needed to claim the record from Boston Beer Co.

Advertisement