Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell/IRC/Lucan/Tiernans/UCD League - Race 20 - Black Bull 25/08/11

• 25-08-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

Started purely to offer condolences to tawfeeredux - I hear he broke his arm at the end of tonight's race. :( Just one of those nasty falls. I know you were down to compete tomorrow, gutted for you man.

Get better soon!

edit: oh, I see it's been mentioned in the Nat Hill Champs thread. Better put a race report here then..

Tough race tonight - took a long turn on the front of the SS group after we had caught SL/L because there were a couple of Lucan lads and a UCD guy ahead. Highest average HR of any race this year, bar the Ballysmuttan finish. Did not like the wet bits, especially on the corners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

Ah terrible to hear that, saw John being treated by medics, very bad luck. Hope there's a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah from what i heard the SS/S guys came around the bend sprinting for the finish not knowing that the race was already over and there was a crash with tawfeeredux and one of the L/SL group just finishing I think. Bummer, last race of the season and the HC Champs tomorrow.... sh|tty luck.

On the racing front though for once SL worked well together and we stayed away! (Limit started with us since there were only 4 of them signed on) We split the L/SL group on the second time up the climb and realised we might stay away. Sprint finish, I got 4th, overall joint 10th, delighted with that on my first season racing! Don't know if any of the other placers were boardsies but Romano got 3rd, Liam 2nd, an Usher lad won it.

Can't wait for next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That's terrible luck, Tawfeeredux. I hope that you are on the mend quickly. From what I have read, you have had a great season's cycling. You'll be flying again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Really sorry to hear that, tawfeeredux. I know it's no consolation now but there's worse times of year for this to happen. Mend and rest up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

kenmc wrote: »
    Sprint finish, I got 4th, overall joint 10th, delighted with that on my first season racing!

Right. Don't even acknowledge your lead-out man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Bad luck tawfeeredux, hope you recover quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

oflahero wrote: »
    Right. Don't even acknowledge your lead-out man.

You pulled off too soon dude, I only got 4th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Yeah get well soon tawfeeredux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Yep, season over, just like that. All my own fault too. Came round the last corner & started sprinting for the finish even though i knew there was nothing to sprint for as we hadn't caught the groups ahead. Had the head down for a second or two & when I looked up there was a guy from one of the other groups freewheeling directly in front of me. Went straight into the back of him & came down heavy. When I saw my elbow bent in the opposite direction to the way it normally bends, I knew it wasn't good. As i stood up though it popped back into a more normal position by itself. The guys in blanch hospital reckon it's not broken, though they admitted it wasn't a great xray. Have to give it a few days for the swelling to go down & see how it is then. Hopefully it's not a break.

Thanks to everyone who helped out last night, esp Roisin & Bren from the club who were with me in the hospital. Also, to Idleater & lalorm who took care of the car & bike, cheers guys. Gutted i missed the tea & sambos last night, was really looking forward to that (heard the sambos were particularly good). :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Hard luck John and get well soon. You've packed just about everything into your first season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Glad to hear you got back okay and are recovering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Get better soon John. The season is over for most now anyway, so you won't be missing much. You have had an amazing 2011, so now : REST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Any more results/reports? Haven't seen the final league standings yet though i'm sure it was announced last night. Well done to kenmc on a top 10 finish in the league. I'm assuming last night's results didn't affect the top 3 in the overall, so congrats to Dylan on the overall win & to Diarmuid on his 2nd place, a great result & well deserved given his consistency in picking up results all through the league. And thanks to the guys who run the races too, Shay from LCRC, Dave from Orwell, & the UCD, Tiernan's & Usher guys whose names escape me. Roll on next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

When I saw my elbow bent in the opposite direction to the way it normally bends, I knew it wasn't good. As i stood up though it popped back into a more normal position by itself. The guys in blanch hospital reckon it's not broken, though they admitted it wasn't a great xray. Have to give it a few days for the swelling to go down & see how it is then. Hopefully it's not a break.

Just reading this now. Sorry to hear that man, as I know the Hill Climb Champs. were one of your targets. At least you got to do most of what you wanted, and your arm popped back into place - if only my leg did that!:P Hopefully its not broken.

Well at least you can have a proper rest now and come back for next year and boy oh boy will you come back stronger!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Any more results/reports?

As for the race, I had another "as usual" race in SL. Did a decent bit of work for the first lap and a half and sat at the back on the back section main road expecting for the S/SS group to whoosh past in the final sprint for places.

When that didn't materialise I decided to keep alert for the back road stretch to Batterstown and was at the back of the main bunch exiting the corner. This was my "1 thing for the night to try" for the day as I had not dared do anything like this yet this season :rolleyes:. So I followed the bunch the whole way to the line not contesting the sprint but hanging at the back of it. Dare I say it, I was doing exactly what you were doing bar the touching of wheels :o.

Anyways, no place, but got the feel for a sprint, so it's something to work on for next year.

I had joked at the start of the race that I was the "highest placed SL rider with no proper points" (i.e. just 5's for showing up) with only one SS in the same position above me, and somehow my name was called out as 25th place in the league :D

Big thanks to all the organisers for making it a very enjoyable first season of racing and I will be looking forward to next year when I promise to make more of an effort at getting actual results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Delighted to see you're out of intensive care tawfeeredux-you really look shook last night man.

Too bad about the Hill Champs tonight-it was looking like a Lucan 1-2 until the opposition voodoo kicked in.

On the up-side you don't need the arm for power sessions on the turbo.

Hope to see you on the road soon.

As for the race, not much to say. Everyone stayed away, everyone got wet and there was no cake :pac:

A big thanks to Brian and Reps from the clubs for another well organised and competitive year of racing.

Advertisement