Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Adjacent rate - how do they calculate it?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all - was wondering if anyone had been able to pry this information out of the grant offices, on how they calculate the distance from your college to your address?

When I spoke to the grants office in Cork, she wouldn't tell me anything and I even asked if there was any leeway granted - like if a student was 44.5km away, would they still be considered under the 45km and not given the higher grant. Unfortunately she just stone walled me and said they had to go by the letter of the law. -.-

So I was curious if anyone else had heard differently or got any more information out of them? :)

As you can guess I'm VERY close to the 45km requirement. And haven't yet heard from the grants office about the outcome. So if anyone has any additional info I would appreciate it, or if they're in the same situation - anything to calm my nerves at this point! XD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

As far I know they go by AA road watch to work out the mileage, however I don't know if they would give you the higher rate because you are so close (it probably depends on who is processing it!!)...

Good Luck
    H

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

A friend of mine was just over the 45k limit by about 1k and was refused until she obtained proof that it was over. They are very strict when it comes close to the wire she was Tipp co co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Blerg^ that sucks.. tbh this whole thing sucks and they should at least allow those who had already started their course to get the same rate etc when they first started til the end of their course. -.-

ty anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ripo

December wrote: »
    Blerg^ that sucks.. tbh this whole thing sucks and they should at least allow those who had already started their course to get the same rate etc when they first started til the end of their course. -.-

ty anyways :)

The VEC staff have no say in what happens, they are nothing more than clerical workers. nothing more.

The real problem lies with the real end of things, on the political scale. The vec workers would know very little about these issues.

contact your TD and explain your problem

Advertisement