Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some days , it's hard to keep cheery....

• 26-08-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

I'm getting dis-illusioned these days in work.... I've had a bunch of campers in lately , that we didn't sell before , and the state of them makes me wonder am I an eejit for bothering to try get ours right.....

All of them were supposedly kept in good order , routinely serviced and minded yadda yadda...
    This weeks one;
    needed a front chassis crossmember (old one folded in half, it was so rotten, when removed)
    had one front caliper seized
    flexi brake pipe blocked on the other side
    rotten metal brake pipe on the rear
    rear brakes out of adjustment
    both rear brake cylinders (weeping , corroded and sticking)
    A top suspension mount (old one clattering on bumps)
    basic servicing , and a timing belt kit (old belt slack , and tensioner bearings dodgy) .

the other week , much the same on another coachbuilt, apart from needing all metal brake pipes bar one(utter pig of a job) , new wiper blades , screenwasher not working , half the lights not working , same crap as above with the brakes and most of the front suspension worn . Oh , and 4 badly perished tires and no spare .

And prior to that again , I had a guy who just wanted a timing belt done... While underneath quickly looking at it whilst doing the belt I spotted the rear gearbox mount was shot , another rotten crossmember , the wishbone bushes loose and the metal brake pipe to the rear dangerously corroded . I dread to think what else I'll find when he comes back to get those bits done..

all those Campers were in regular use , looked nice and clean and well kept inside , from 3 different parts of the country , and each one a danger on the road IMHO . How the FECK do other garages get away with this stuff? Do people lie about getting them serviced? It's just disheartening for me spending 3 days at a camper just to make it safe...

rant over , just letting ye know what it's like "at the coal-face"!:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Difference is Aidan that you care and have a work ethic that is sadly lacking from our once great country.

Some consolation is that when the campers leave your shop you know in your heart and soul that you have done a good job and the right job. Thanks to you and some others like you, there are people safely travelling and not putting other road users in danger.

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hey, if there's coal face work going.........

But i know what you mean.... In general I find I'm despairing at everything. Nearly every fecker these days is out to shaft you regardless.

plus, if it helps, people are liars......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Dont complain,it would be worse if you had nothing to do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

You've shown us exactly why the DOE test needs to be compulsory NOW.

I still do not understand why some people on this site are against it. I just hope everyone reads your posting and takes note of it.

Everyone reading your posting needs to remember it everytime they wave to a fellow camper or is traveling behind one. Frightening:eek:.
    This is why I get mine tested each year.

I spoke to the RSA person at Ballina, just yesterday, and he is 100% certain that the peperwork will be signed before end of year due to the fact that there is another piece of legislation that is to do with DOE testing that the EU have insisted must be signed by then.

Well posted Aiden_M_M (sorry can't remember what your name is. I'm having a senior moment.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

God it makes you think, yes we need a test and soon but I was against the way the RSA tried to do the DOE, I don't like fools or people who lie. The RAS tried to claim that the test was not new and that campers always needed to be tested - that was in an email I got from them, as we have seen the courts found that to be untrue.

I think it all comes back to one thing the "Irish as sure it will be grand" attitude. The test the put forwards was for commercial trucks and not suitable for campers, For newer campers there is no need to test it every rear - probably is for older one. There was on checks on the GAS instillation at all. But it was "grand" and will do for campers. People are getting a light service once and a while - sure it's hardly driven it will be "grand", They don't take into account aging of parts sitting in our damp weather.

If they had one a proper job of it I'd have no cause for complaint and would have to go along with it.

Right now I get my car and camper van serviced by a mechanic next to my office, he has an excellent reputation I bought my car from him and it's never let me down. He knows how to charge but prides himself on his work, if there was a problems with either he'd let me know. Given the mileage I do about 15000 KM a year I get both serviced once a year costs under 270 so far but expect to need to get pads changed this service so next one will be a bit more.

Right now I trust him to check it more than the DOE test, I will probably put it through the DOE before the end of the year to get a two year cert.

I do have some small rust on the body work which is going in to be fixed next week but what do you expect for a 20 year old hi-ace. I'll also get a wax-oil seal done underneath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

..............I spoke to the RSA person at Ballina, just yesterday, and he is 100% certain that the peperwork will be signed before end of year due to the fact that there is another piece of legislation that is to do with DOE testing that the EU have insisted must be signed by then..............

Any chance you mentioned to them that the >3.5t 80Kmph debacle, in relation to 'motor caravans, needs to be fixed also.
    It's absolutely crazy that another lacuna in out laws allows 'motor caravans' of ANY gvw travel at the same speed as a 'car'.

At present even an American 42 ft. RV may travel at up to 120Kmph in this country, but put a tiny 250Kg trailer on the back and its maximum speed is limited to 80Kmph :confused:.

See HERE how the French have implemented 'intelligent' laws in relation to speed limits.

We have not been best served by those paid to recommend and draft our laws.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    It is not true that campervans did not need testing.
    There are Irish Statuary Instruments and EU Directives that state that "Mechanically Propelled Vehicles" have to be tested.
    The problem was that no criteria was laid down for this to be done here in Ireland. NCT is for cars only, due they say to the size of vehicles, and DOE (or whatever they call it now) is for commercial vehicles.
    That is why the court had no choice, when the case referred to was put before them, but to throw it out.

In the U.K. where ordinary garages are licensed to test private vehicles there is no problem. You will always find a garage that can handle the size of your vehicle.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Any chance you mentioned to them that the >3.5t 80Kmph debacle, in relation to 'motor caravans, needs to be fixed also.
    It's absolutely crazy that another lacuna in out laws allows 'motor caravans' of ANY gvw travel at the same speed as a 'car'.

At present even an American 42 ft. RV may travel at up to 120Kmph in this country, but put a tiny 250Kg trailer on the back and its maximum speed is limited to 80Kmph :confused:.

See HERE how the French have implemented 'intelligent' laws in relation to speed limits.

We have not been best served by those paid to recommend and draft our laws.

No, I haven't mentioned this to them. I can only talk about things that affect me.

Did YOU raise this point with them when their proposals were published after the public consultation? that was the time to complain/object to it, although the guy in Ballina is very easy to talk to and you could raise it with him. I'll pm you his name if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

We had a motorhome in a while back,person said it was perfect,went to check it out only to find one wall,and floor completely rotted through,never heard of a habitation service they said, and this was not that old a motorhome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

dorts wrote: »
    We had a motorhome in a while back,person said it was perfect,went to check it out only to find one wall,and floor completely rotted through,never heard of a habitation service they said, and this was not that old a motorhome.

maddening , isn't it?
    And then people will tell you us traders are too dear compared to private sales on DoneDeal etc....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement