Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Carlow

Options
  • 26-08-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hey all, decided to move to carlow and will buying a house there, but the thing is where to buy. I've heard good things about browneshill road but apart from that don't know too much about the area.Any other areas i should consider. Hopefully some carlovians will be able to give me some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

It's very difficult to respond to your post, not knowing anything about you, or the type of house you're in the market for. One thing is for sure though, you're spoiled for choice.

Have you driven around the town and surrounding area much yet? Have you spoken to any local agents?

If you answer no to the above I'd suggest you look into doing those things first. The very handy internet search for houses will only give you so much information and to drive by a house that looked good online could open your eyes to potential problems in the general location.

If you need a recommendation for estate agents I've used Charlie and James McDermott (Sherry Fitzgerald McDermott) and was very happy with the sevice provided. I would also consider Sotherns to be on a par with them. Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Looking for a 3/4 bed detached house, been in to estate agents, but really wanted to get a locals view on the area i mentioned, or any other areas that would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

votecounts wrote: »
    Looking for a 3/4 bed detached house, been in to estate agents, but really wanted to get a locals view on the area i mentioned, or any other areas that would be good.

Understood. The Brownshill Rd area would traditionally have been desirable but one thing I'd bear in mind is the amount of development that may take place there in the coming decades. One family in the pub and property development games have quite a land bank built up in that area and a couple of stalled developments too.

I'd probably be looking to see if there's anything in the Blackbog Rd / Quinagh area that suits. Green Rd. area also. The possibility of being near a student rental has to be looked at in these areas.

Other than that I don't know where else I'd actively look to be honest. I left the town for country living a good few years ago now and as always, things have changed.

Keep the thread going and post locations as you come across them maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Couple of nice newish estates in Graigue - Barrowvale and Heatherhill (though parking is a big issue in this estate). Both of these would have been classed as high end estates back in the good old days, but they're as cheap as everywhere else now.

There are a number of estates like these around Carlow - built in the last 6-7 years, but what you have to watch out for is that most of them are full of young kids (under 10). They were all once expensive houses bought by couples starting families. That might be what you're looking for, but if it's not, you might want to look at some of the older estates along the Green Road.

Stay away from the Tullow Road, and any of the estates close the the Fairgreen or the Burren river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

If you're looking for 3/4 detached houses i would look at estates beside dr.cullen park. They are small, established estates that are quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I used to live in Browneshill road (Paddocks estate) and I would have to recommend it as a nice area to live in although the concerns over the land banks was starting to be realised when I moved from there a few years ago but with the building slump currently ongoing the developments there may not expand for quiet a few years yet.

Have you had any thoughts about a house outside Carlow town in one of the surrounding areas such as Bennekerry, Ballon, Palatine, etc?

Also finally it is worth having a look at the changes in house prices around Carlow on the below website it might give you some idea on the value to be had.
    http://www.daftdrop.com/#!searchView

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I don't know if living in Carlow is requirement for you? but I have seen some house go for crazy knock down prices in places like Leighlinbridge , Bagenalstown , Tulllow , Ballinabrannagh and all are wiith 5 - 15 Min drive of Carlow town. A 4 bedroom house beside my mams on a decent estate recently went for €89,000 including all the furniture , the original sale price was €199,000

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1997

I"d also have to recommend The Paddocks, Browneshill area. Have friends that bought there and are really happy with location,Have to say I like it too, nice place for smallies, also most houses are lived in rather than bought. Other friends bought out Blackbog road way, lot of rented houses, students and actually feel its quite built up compared to when they bought. HTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I live in Browneshill Wood & I LOVE it. I grew up living on the Tullow Road & since I ws a child I always loved & wanted to live on Browneshill Road. It is so pretty. I am 5 mins walk to Lidl which is handy & I often stop & sit on one of the benches at the green area in Talbot Terrace. It has loads of trees & its well established. The houses on Browneshill Rd are lovely & all so different. Walking in the opposite direction you pass a farm on your right, its lovely to be soooo close to town yet feel like you live in the country.
    A big bonus are that the schools are so nearby. I dont have children but I imagine they walk by themselves safely.
    The area has great access onto the O'Brien Rd or onto the Wexford Rd (5 mins and you're on the motorway)
    Good luck if you decide to buy, I think you'll love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barf

I lived in Brownshill Rd for a year. Now I moved to Dolmen Gardens, so I stayed in about same area. I thik this part of town is one of the best because of logistics reason:

Drive up to O'Brien Rd and you're on the main road. Drive up in the opposite direction to the Link Rd and turn left - you're on Hacketstown Rd, turn right - your on Tullow/Wexford Rd :)

Whatever, don't buy a house in Graiguecullen - bad acces, heavy traffic and **** road surface - mind your car suspension! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

votecounts wrote: »
    browneshill wood and donn or would seem to suit your needs. Donn Or are bigger and seem good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Nead21 wrote: »
    If you're looking for 3/4 detached houses i would look at estates beside dr.cullen park. They are small, established estates that are quiet.

I have rellies in Highfield, just at the roundabout.

It always struck me as a great place, really quiet & no through traffic. The houses were built from 9" cavity blocks though so they'd need relining to be warm.

House sold there recently for allegedly 200K plus. Guess its the location, location thing after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Seems like browneshill is the place to be! Must be the easy access to Millers pub people are attracted to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Fishtits wrote: »
    I have rellies in Highfield, just at the roundabout.

It always struck me as a great place, really quiet & no through traffic. The houses were built from 9" cavity blocks though so they'd need relining to be warm.

House sold there recently for allegedly 200K plus. Guess its the location, location thing after all?

Yeah it is very quiet. Most people who live there have been living there for about 10years+. As it's such an established estate, the houses didn't suffer the same devaluation as a lot of newer estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Both of those properties look to me to be over priced by close to €100k. There are no 3 bed semis in Carlow selling for above €150k, and it would need to be an outstanding 4 bed detached to sell for above €200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

dabestman1 wrote: »
    the first house is the nicer of the two, certainly within my price range and i dare say they would knock at least 30k off the value.
    Thanks again for the post.

Advertisement