Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use flex outside for lights

Options
  • 26-08-2011 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,

I am about to install some ground lights, set into a path around my house to light up the walls. I have bought some lights which consist of a plastic sleeve which gets installed into the concrete and then the light fitting is installed into the sleeve. The light fitting has 2 glands on the bottom for cable entry and then the GU10 bulbs sit inside. A metal plate and glass fit over the top of the housing. It is rated IP67 so its waterproof.

My question is with regard to what electric cable I can use under the path. The normal cable would be 1.5mm SWA. I don't want to use this though because it is not flexible enough to allow the light fitting to be wired outside of the plastic sleeve and then lowered down into the sleeve. So I want to use some sort of flex which would make life a lot easier

Is it ok to use flex outside if it is burried in concrete ( no danger of mechanical damage ). Is there an " outdoor flex ". I saw a flex called Arctic flex but it seems this is only to be used for temporary use on building sited etc

Any thoughts from our professionals ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

no problem using the flex once you have a continious form of mechanical protection such as a conduit of plastic ducting,

at no point can the concrete set on the flex, this is due to the fact that the lime in the concrete would degrade the cable over a period of time.

also try keep all cable exit and entry points as water tight as possible,

steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

evosteo wrote: »
    no problem using the flex once you have a continious form of mechanical protection such as a conduit of plastic ducting,

at no point can the concrete set on the flex, this is due to the fact that the lime in the concrete would degrade the cable over a period of time.

also try keep all cable exit and entry points as water tight as possible,

steve[/Quote

ya the 0.75 flex+wavin is the only thing that will work with these lights afaik

as already said the fitting must be watertight

dont allow any concrete get into base

And circuit should be rcd protected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guju121

Thanks for advise ...
    0.75mm flex seems quite small. There will be 10 lights on one light circuit with a 6W LED bulb in each. I know thats only 60W but I would have though 1.5mm would be minimum for lights.
    I was thinking of using a 1" white conduit with a T joint at the cable exit for the lights, then seal the T joint with silicone or construction adhesive
    Would this be the normal setup for this type of light, I'd like to see a professional installation but cant find anything online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

guju121 wrote: »
    Thanks for advise ...
    0.75mm flex seems quite small. There will be 10 lights on one light circuit with a 6W LED bulb in each. I know thats only 60W but I would have though 1.5mm would be minimum for lights.
    I was thinking of using a 1" white conduit with a T joint at the cable exit for the lights, then seal the T joint with silicone or construction adhesive
    Would this be the normal setup for this type of light, I'd like to see a professional installation but cant find anything online

the rules specify 1.5 minimum for fixed wiring alright if I recall

but it's too big for these lights anyhow

You could always fit a 3amp spur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Found this thread through a search, just hopping on, looking for 3 core 0.75 flex to replace the short piece supplied with each outdoor light, any suggestions in Cork? Dwyers didn't have it and neither did MCQ

• Advertisement
Advertisement