Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing in shannon from shore!

Options
  • 26-08-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm going fishing for pike soon and I'm just wondering What's the best way to catch? Best techniques etc.
    I'm thinking of using a voblex, Do I need weights with one??
    Cheers,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

You'll need a big load of scrap metal to catch a pikey

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

You'll need a big load of scrap metal to catch a pikey

What do you use to keep them away?
    As the frog ward would say, Shotgun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Donald Draper

Hello there how is she cutting.

With regard to methods used to catch pike....there are many. Some are more effective than others and some are better suited for different times of year. It all depends on your experience level and the type of tackle you have.

Static Dead Baiting:
    A very common method where you use a dead fish such as a small roach or a sea fish fish such as mackerel. You will need to use a running rig and need some form of bite indication. I would describe this method as inactive as once you cast out your baits you wait for a bite. Using a buzzer is extremely important as you need to know as soon as you get a bite so you can strike quickly to avoid deep hooking especially in summer.

Trolling:
    You will need a boat for this method. It is pretty straight forward. You bring a selection of different lures and cast them out from behind the boat and slowly make you way around the river or lake. You need to set your drag just right so you don't pull the fishes jaw off if you get a bite or loose your rod!!

Spinning:
    If you are inexperienced and do not have allot of tackle spinning is a very basic, cheap and effective method. All you need are a couple if spinners and plugs ( brass spoons being my favourite). Attach the lure to the end of your line by way of a steel trace and cast out and retrieve the lure. You should try cover as much ground as possible to increase your chances of catching. Spinners are quite effective during the summer months.

Wobbling/Sink and draw:
    this is often described as the one of the most effective method of pike fishing. You will need to buy some small dead fishes for bait. Smelt are usually considered the most effective and can be bought from most good tackle shops in packs of ten. Similar to spinning you just hook the dead bait on to your trace and cast out the bait and reel it in slowly mimicking the movement of a dying fish. To increase your chances the most, you should try to cover as much ground as possible. Try a few casts in one spot and then move on 10 meters or so and cast again and continue in this fashion covering as much ground as possible. River banks with good access along the bank are the best places for this method.

Best of luck.

DD

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is the OP asking about Pike fishing in the Shannon, or asking about pike fishing in Shannon?

If the latter then he is out of luck, although there are some decent little lakes near Shannon.

If it is the Shannon river and it's lakes, maybe the OP could say roughly what parts he intends to fish so that people who fish it might be able to offer some advice?

I pike fish from Plassey to O'Briens Bridge on the Shannon, and fish lough Derg, as well as on the Shannon just above Derg.

I am sure there will be others on here that pike fish where I do but also those that fish further up the Shannon, so there should be plenty of folks to help you OP if you want to say what section of the Shannon you are interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 podgekig

well all. im looking for a shimano reel to fish for pike during the winter months,maybe a 4000 or 6000.what i dont understand is what does the letters mean after the number.can any1 help me?and mayb tell me the best place to get 1?cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

Kess73 wrote: »
    Is the OP asking about Pike fishing in the Shannon, or asking about pike fishing in Shannon?

If the latter then he is out of luck, although there are some decent little lakes near Shannon.

If it is the Shannon river and it's lakes, maybe the OP could say roughly what parts he intends to fish so that people who fish it might be able to offer some advice?

I pike fish from Plassey to O'Briens Bridge on the Shannon, and fish lough Derg, as well as on the Shannon just above Derg.

I am sure there will be others on here that pike fish where I do but also those that fish further up the Shannon, so there should be plenty of folks to help you OP if you want to say what section of the Shannon you are interested in.

Yep, it's the river shannon, Lanesboro in Longford/Roscommon! Advice on there would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep, it's the river shannon, Lanesboro in Longford/Roscommon! Advice on there would be greatly appreciated!

You are too far up river for me to give advice on location etc :(, I never get up as far as Lough Ree and above.

Have heard good things about the pike in Lough Ree

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i fish ree for trout and pike, wouldnt be too familiar with that end of the waterway though, would be interesting to see if anyone here fishes it there :),
    i suppose just go out and find out for yourself with some spinning and dead baiting, the not knowing is half the beauty of it!

Advertisement