Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ME2

Options
  • 26-08-2011 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

This is the most solid thing I've seen about ME2 so far. I also put it on the offsite. I'd say we would be very lucky to get it early next year.
    Off The Record: Jeremy
    By PTT
    Sunday 21 August 2011, 9:12pm
    Jeremy had a bit of time while the end of season scripts are running and I managed to sit down and have a chat to him about BR and other things. More .

Hope you enjoy it.

How is the site revamp going? Any hints on a likely release time?

It’s moving slowly, but progressing. Due to other projects and our initial student developer had to quit because of a lack of time; it’s not where we would have liked it to be. To be honest it wouldn’t surprise me if another new year rolled by before it was ready.

Can you give us an idea on what the major things are that you are revamping?

The only “major” change that will be immediately recognisable is the interface. The rest of the changes and additions are minor(ish), but there’s a great deal of them. Some things are even completely back-end, so won’t be apparent to users at all. Sorry I can’t give too much away here. I want to keep everything fairly well under wraps until it’s closer to completion. I can assure you all however, that it will be worth the wait.

As a current journo I’m most interested in whether there are going to be more tools for journo’s. Any clues on what might be in store for national journalists?

Ok, ok! I’ll spill a little about the journalist/news side of things. Firstly, you’ll be getting the lion’s share of the BR news page, with the journalist stories being the major stream, complete with images. The current developer news stream, which appears in the left column on the news page, will be demoted to a “Developer news” section much smaller than it is now. Each journalist story will feature a summary on the main page, and when clicked, will open in it’s own page with a comments section. This will allow other members to comment directly on each news item. We’ll also provide methods for people to share these stories via facebook, twitter, google+ and the like. Oh, and like much of the site, the news stream will be available publically, so you don’t have to be signed in to access the news page and news items. This will give the game much more exposure to the Internet, search engines, etc.

Do you get much of a chance to take part in the BR World Cups? If so you must be pleased with how the new nations are doing.

I definitely follow along and see who beat who etc. both to make sure it’s all running smoothly, and because I'm interested. I’m really happy to see the smaller nations going well, especially in the U20 World Cup.

Couple of talking points/oversights/bugs recently. I’m specifically talking about the world cup top 16 qualification issue with Scotland/Namibia and the promotion table issue. I know it’s difficult to get these things right up front and sometimes the bugs only become apparent when they occur but do you have any message for people re these and the other inevitable bugs that happen?

For the most part, the average user, etc. they don’t even know there’s a “bugs lounge” at all. They don’t question when things change. Unless the site has fallen completely off the Internet, they don’t even know anything’s wrong. For the people that watch closely, that get really into the game and notice when something's awry, these are the people that already know that as long as there are changes and the game is being developed, there will always be bugs, inevitably as you say. Bugs are a part of the game, and always will be. And if there’s a bug I’ll fix it. It’s as simple as that.

At least people are passionate enough about the game to care!

That’s exactly right. And it’s these people that care, that help us improve the game, even if “caring” might not always be interpreted that way.

You’ve actioned the translation system and are working on the site revamp. What’s on the list after that? ME2? Other Blackout online sports? or are these things off the table for the time being?

The whole point of the revamp is to get the site to a point where it would be worth duplicating and using as a base for other Blackout Sports games. We’re just trying to eliminate the need to do certain things twice.

What do you do in your spare time? Do you have any spare time? Do you ever see the sun?

Great question! You’re the first interviewer that has asked about my personal life. Yes, I absolutely see the sun. I love the sun! In the summer sometimes I'll just txt a mate midweek and take off to raglan for the day followed by some red wine and pizza at my favourite Italian café there. At the moment, I’m playing golf every Thursday afternoon at Hukanui. I like to leave it until late in the day and get in 9 holes just before the sun goes down when it’s just me on the course. It’s really peaceful and lets me get my mental renewal for the week. I get to the gym at least twice a week, and play squash once a week at te-rapa to stay in shape physically. Socially, I’ve got a great circle of friends who (caringly) whinge at me for working all the time, and tempt me away from my home office every now and then to go out for dinner or have a few drinks. We all usually hang out every Monday night too, at Shenanigans Irish Pub to watch our good friends play there. I better give them a plug: See the “young up and coming Hamilton band”, “Tallahasee Sky”, live every Monday at Shenanigans from 9pm – well for at least for the next month or so until they relocate to Aussie :( As for my home life, well I admit if I’m at home I’m generally working, but if on the off chance I’m not I’m watching a movie, any one of my favourite TV shows, or playing a game.

What are you most proud of about the game?

The community generated content, by far. I’m not as proud directly of the game itself, as I am of the platform the game has created for others to create content on top of. I’m talking about everything from journalist articles, to applications created on top of the API, to just generally entertaining clubroom conversations. A recent example is the newsletters that PTT has created for the U20 World Cup. I mean, that’s some really quality stuff. When I see things like that, I feel very proud of what we’ve built, and the enjoyment people get from it.

Editors note: I did not pay him to say that :)

Thanks for your time, I along with thousands of others really enjoy this game and hope you can keep putting time into it developing it. If you ever want some tips on how to manage your team (I can see it’s struggling a bit) we have quite a good mentor scheme on the NZ offsite – come along and join in the fun. We also note that somehow the pro NZ switch at international tournaments has been switched off. I don’t want to log it as a bug, as the rest of the nations may see it, but can you please take a look.

My team is doing just fine thank you! I’ll have you know I was in the league final this season. Ok, so it may have been a league with just me and one other guy, but hey, I built the game just so that I could get some serious satisfaction from watching my team thrash bot teams all season long, oh and so that New Zealand would win everything. It's got to be a bug. I’ll get right on that ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

savage news alright, but id love to post a suggestion that he just focus on major things so he can attrach more people and then employ more people so in the long run hel make good money for a savage game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

i agree with Seanad, the polishing and minor changes creating minor (sometimes major like the U20 wc & promotion tables) are really distracting him. I would not be adverse to the game staying EXACTLY as it is now for this and next season and let him concentrate on the revamp & ME2 and then start polishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Yeah if he could get a partner in to take care of the little things it would be worthwhile for him in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Is it just him? Fair play to the lad. I'd have just played Gears of War with my time.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Is it just him? Fair play to the lad. I'd have just played Gears of War with my time.

Good choice, good choice. Did you play the beta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

I'd have just played Gears of War with my time.

Feck gears of war (3), i just done up my gaming rig for battlefield 3, so very excited i might drool right.... now...

No beta for me, currently playing through a backlog of good games. Only started Assassins' Creed Brotherhood there this week.

No doubt Jeremy is all the way back to Golden Eye! :D

No beta for me, currently playing through a backlog of good games. Only started Assassins' Creed Brotherhood there this week.

No doubt Jeremy is all the way back to Golden Eye! :D

The beta was great! I found assassins creed one in xtra vision for 5 euro last month so I ended up finishing that, quality game.

Nah Jeremy wastes his time collecting flags on assassins creed 1 when he could be playing revelations :p

ajeffares wrote: »
    The beta was great! I found assassins creed one in xtra vision for 5 euro last month so I ended up finishing that, quality game.

Nah Jeremy wastes his time collecting flags on assassins creed 1 when he could be playing revelations :p

Never liked AC 1. AC2 and BH, bam. Greatness. No Blackout Rugby of course :D

Never liked AC 1. AC2 and BH, bam. Greatness. No Blackout Rugby of course :D

So I should give AC2 etc a go? gave up well into AC1, bloody repetitive and boring!

• Advertisement

eoferrall wrote: »
    So I should give AC2 etc a go? gave up well into AC1, bloody repetitive and boring!

really? I enjoyed it. Ill get AC2 as soon as i find it in the bargain bin :p

TheJims wrote: »
    Feck gears of war (3), i just done up my gaming rig for battlefield 3, so very excited i might drool right.... now...

Just noticed this now, get both (if you have a 360)! My two favorite series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Although I don't know why we are talking about it, AC2 is pretty good, although I found the opening episodes a little repetitive. Probably a Rockstar thing though, generally the episodes in GTA games don't get good until mid game.

really? I enjoyed it. Ill get AC2 as soon as i find it in the bargain bin :p

Did you not find that you where doing the same type of mission over and over?

plus all that creepin around - i kept getting this urge just to break out and batter a load of people!!

Assasins creed 1 was so good becoz it was so differant compared to the other games out at the time, but it was repetitive, then 2 came out n again repetitive so i just gave up on them...

Battlefield 3 is a pc MUST! 64 player maps, to the 24 on xbox/ps3.

Ability to run at 60-80 fps compared to the xbox/ps3's 30-40... The bigger maps for jets is gona be insane.. :eek:

Did you not find that you where doing the same type of mission over and over?

plus all that creepin around - i kept getting this urge just to break out and batter a load of people!!

Yeah but I kinda enjoyed it. I'm a total completionist though! I have to finish games!
    Assasins creed 1 was so good becoz it was so differant compared to the other games out at the time, but it was repetitive, then 2 came out n again repetitive so i just gave up on them...

Battlefield 3 is a pc MUST! 64 player maps, to the 24 on xbox/ps3.

Ability to run at 60-80 fps compared to the xbox/ps3's 30-40... The bigger maps for jets is gona be insane.. :eek:

If I could afford a gaming pc I would have one :p

Yeah but I kinda enjoyed it. I'm a total completionist though! I have to finish games!

If I could afford a gaming pc I would have one :p

Yeah I usually am also, but life gets in the way and so games get left to the side!:o sometime in the future I will sit down and finish games.

Though good few are left cos I had to start again, some saved games where not transferable to new HDD after backup when PS3 broke:(

You can build a PC really cheap & far better than what dell provide. My one I have had the last few years i built for 800 in 2008, spec'd it on dell for 3.5k... :eek: Bought parts online from germany, all shipped over and its like lego piecing it together!

parents saw & so built them one too for about 150 for emails and so on. its fun stuff!

shhhh eoferrall your giving away the trade secrets :p

I just finished my new one last week, an absolute beast that will run every new game on Ultra specs for the next few years, delivered and all for under 800!

good times... until Battlefield comes out tho all i have to "test" it is TF2.. :rolleyes:

Yeah I usually am also, but life gets in the way and so games get left to the side!:o sometime in the future I will sit down and finish games.

Though good few are left cos I had to start again, some saved games where not transferable to new HDD after backup when PS3 broke:(

You can build a PC really cheap & far better than what dell provide. My one I have had the last few years i built for 800 in 2008, spec'd it on dell for 3.5k... :eek: Bought parts online from germany, all shipped over and its like lego piecing it together!

parents saw & so built them one too for about 150 for emails and so on. its fun stuff!

I've always wanted to do two things: Build my own PC and build my own guitar. Guitar works out surprisingly pricey, but then it does come down to selecting your wood etc. PC... I gave up on that dream and now run with the Macs, but maybe one day I'll get my PC on again.
    shhhh eoferrall your giving away the trade secrets :p

I just finished my new one last week, an absolute beast that will run every new game on Ultra specs for the next few years, delivered and all for under 800!

good times... until Battlefield comes out tho all i have to "test" it is TF2.. :rolleyes:
    800 delivered? Delivered suggests someone did it for you? If so, where did you get such a beast for that price!?

I've always wanted to do two things: Build my own PC and build my own guitar. Guitar works out surprisingly pricey, but then it does come down to selecting your wood etc. PC... I gave up on that dream and now run with the Macs, but maybe one day I'll get my PC on again.

800 delivered? Delivered suggests someone did it for you? If so, where did you get such a beast for that price!?

I've PC, macbook pro and PS3... best of everything!:pac:

I reckon delivered he meant all the parts bought and to his house, its FAR cheaper to get parts in Europe rather than your local computer store here:mad:

Don't give up on the dream Fewcifer - its incredibly satisfying sitting there with smug look when other are discussing prices of this that and the other! ;)

Rarely use it now tho, mac is easier to surf net with as its a laptop and can be anywhere... games are mostly on PS3 these days. desk with PC is too messy atm to play on.

once I move back out I'll get it all back up & running for FPS!

• Advertisement

got the stuff off http://www.hardwareversand.de/ and built it myself, if anyone is looking to buy a pc for say gaming, and are workin on a budget i'd highly recommend the lads on the Tech/Building Forum,

If you simply create a post saying "Gaming Build for €600" they will make a card on hardwarevesand and link it to you with everything u need.. quality guys!

They're the same folks I use, great website. paying via bank draft is a pain tho. have they changed that now Jim?

They're the same folks I use, great website. paying via bank draft is a pain tho. have they changed that now Jim?

Nope! i too went into the bank and asked the lovely girl to make an 800€ bank transfer to a mysterious german bank account.. the look i got.. :eek:

I'll get down to a pc eventually . . saving for a euro rail trip around eastern europe now so it will have to wait

Advertisement