Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband upgrade?

Options
  • 26-08-2011 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 3Mb broadband from eircom.
    I don't live within area where Next Generation Broadband is available, so I need to stay with older plans.

Anyway - on eircom website, I found out, that I can upgrade to 7Mb broadband, as this is max capability for my line.

Now - at the moment, even I have 3Mb broadband, the real max speed is only 2.6Mb.
    I'm wondering, what will happen if I upgrade to 7. I'm worried that it will still stay at 2.6Mb as this might be the max line capabilities.

1450571993.png

What do you think?
    Where can I check it?
    If I order faster broadband from them, and then realize it's not really faster, can I make a complaint, and come back to previous plan at 3Mb ?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom support forum.

eircom can tell you what your line may be capable of. You can also estimate it from the Line Attenuation number that you can find in your modem's configuration/line statistics options. Enter it here.

2.6Mbps speedtest is good for a 3Mbps connection. You will never measure the rated speed on an ADSL connection due to overheads. Usually you loose about 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

CiniO wrote: »
    I have a 3Mb broadband from eircom.
    I don't live within area where Next Generation Broadband is available, so I need to stay with older plans.

Anyway - on eircom website, I found out, that I can upgrade to 7Mb broadband, as this is max capability for my line.

Now - at the moment, even I have 3Mb broadband, the real max speed is only 2.6Mb.
    I'm wondering, what will happen if I upgrade to 7. I'm worried that it will still stay at 2.6Mb as this might be the max line capabilities.

1450571993.png

What do you think?
    Where can I check it?
    If I order faster broadband from them, and then realize it's not really faster, can I make a complaint, and come back to previous plan at 3Mb ?

Thanks all.

Hi CiniO
    If you were advised that you can qualify for a higher package and upgrade to this, then find you cannot get that package there will be no charge. Bare in mind that packages are up to certain speeds and you may not get the speeds up to the full speed limit set by that package. If you PM me your tel. number I can test and advise you on possible speed capacity of line.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I want to upgrade my internet. Whats the best deal for me. My speeds are only 2mbps at moment.

Also say I upgraded my current speeds from 2mbps to say 8mbps would I need a new modem, would some1 have to come out to my house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Shane St. wrote: »
    Also say I upgraded my current speeds from 2mbps to say 8mbps would I need a new modem, would some1 have to come out to my house?

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your post.

You can check your optimum broadband speed on the eircom Products website :

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

Remember you can also avail of savings if you order yourself online :

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/onlineoffers

You are welcome to use your own compatible Adsl broadband modem, or to purchase a more advanced Adsl router from a vendor. However there is no need to change your current eircom broadband Adsl modem.

If you need assistance with upgrading your broadband, just call :

Broadband Sales : freefone 1800503303

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hey Ant thank you for replying to me. I actually rang Eircom this morning and unfortunately I have the best possible speeds for my line. But I'm told Next gen broadband will be available in my area in a couple of months so I will just have to be patient.
    Do you know what are the dates when next gen will be available? I'm in the Oranmore area in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Oranmore and Maree exchanges both have NGN already...perhaps not everyone in Maree.

Advertisement