Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs in Perth - declare Valium??

Options
  • 26-08-2011 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Going to Perth in 10 days, have nothing done!! :eek: But do have my few valium to help with anxiety about the move, the trip, the flights....

I also have a letter from the doc saying she has prescribed them as I'm going via Dubai. But is it something I need to declare going through customs in Perth? Will it delay things much? By declaring them is there less or more of a chance of having all my baggage checked through? Or is it completely random who's baggage is checked?

Also, I'm bringing a heap of vitamins with me. Could that cause a problem?

I've only ever travelled within Europe so am a bit clueless so any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I brought about 15 through Paris/KL & Brisbane that I'd gotten from the doc. I had half in my hand luggage and half (for the return flight) in my checked in baggage. I got searched by customs in Paris and Brisbane - I must have a dodgy head! - and they weren't even mentioned. As long as you haven't 500 in a bag and your name is on the box/jar you should be ok. Bring the letter too.

Your bags should get checked in at Dublin and you won't see them again until Perth. I would double check Dubai rules though for the ones in your hand luggage.

The card only asks you to declare ilicit drugs - prescription ones should be fine:

http://www.evisastoaustralia.com/section06/customs.pdf

Regarding the vitamins you can get them in Oz, I saw loads of Holland & Barnes type places about, but if you do bring them leave them in the original containers and don't mix a few in the same bottle - that would look dodgy.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for that Hells Belle. I think I'll just carry a few in the box with the letter for going through Dubai and put the rest in my case.

I have some vals from a few years ago that aren't in a box with my name on or anything so I wonder if I'd have any probs with them. Hope not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The card only asks you to declare ilicit drugs - prescription ones should be fine:

http://www.evisastoaustralia.com/section06/customs.pdf

The card clearly says medicines as well as illicit drugs. Prescription medicine would be a "restriction" and you should be declarign them.
    I declared medicine on the way over and I got through quicker as I was sent to a different queue, bag wasn't checked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

If you're in doubt, just declare it, it's a lot easier!

Vorsprung wrote: »
    If you're in doubt, just declare it, it's a lot easier!

I'll declare them.... If there's any left!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Mellor wrote: »
    The card clearly says medicines as well as illicit drugs. Prescription medicine would be a "restriction" and you should be declarign them.
    I declared medicine on the way over and I got through quicker as I was sent to a different queue, bag wasn't checked

I stand corrected Mellor, the eyesight is failing in my later years :)

I declared everything and anything such as my straw hat, espadrilles, chocolate sauce and coffee. I must have declared the heap of medicine I had but I'd had a valium during the flight so I don't actually recall! Anyway the customs couldn't have been nicer, we were out of the airport in 20 mins.

Best advise is just declare everything.

Best advise is just declare everything.

Vitamins too???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

sudzs wrote: »
    Vitamins too???

Especially vitamins

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sudzs wrote: »
    Vitamins too???
    No reason not too.
    People tend to have a natural opposition to declaring stuff, for fear they get in trouble. The huge majority of this are ok to bring into the country, so its not an issue.

Some medicines and over the counter vitamen availible in other countries will be illegal here. Which is why you are supposed to declare them. To prove it is ok.

Thanks brendansmith and Mellor for the advice! I'll declare the lot but will look like a total hybpcondriac as I stocked up over the last month whenever Holland & Barrett had half price jumbo tubs of Omega3 and Vit C!! :o

....and yes, I know you can buy all this stuff in Australia but I have the hoarding instinct!! :rolleyes:

And by the way, is it a bit like going through security again, you put your stuff in a tray or something and they have a look at it??

• Advertisement
Advertisement