Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup Game

Options
  • 26-08-2011 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Is this on special anywhere? I know it's only out today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

It's supposed to be muck, I'd wait for Rugby Challenge to come out in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

B0X wrote: »
    It's supposed to be muck, I'd wait for Rugby Challenge to come out in a few weeks.

Damn!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

B0X wrote: »

i wouldnt call it muck; its alright

but then i know nothing about rugby at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I thought the demo was rubbish. It was far too easy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I thought the demo was rubbish. It was far too easy.

It was locked on the lowest difficulty setting, its still not great though I'll probably pass until it hits the bargain bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

It looks and plays like a quickly rehashed rugby 08, but with fewer competitions to play. I'll be waiting for rc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Its not as bad as the demo but its not great either. It will do until Rugby Challenge. Regarding the OP, I got it for €43 in HMV Dundrum this morning and I got a free Rugby World Cup guide book with it! Pretty good one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Anyone comment on how they have represented Ireland in this game? Are the squads accurate, who is rated highly, who is overrated who is underrated ? Also what are the player likeness like for Ireland? Also there seems to be universal agreement that rugby challenge will be the superior game, but seeing as were all Irish on this wont it kind of suck having generic players representing Ireland in that game. Only 2 licensed teams, Wallabies and All Blacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

buyer95 wrote: »
    Anyone comment on how they have represented Ireland in this game? Are the squads accurate, who is rated highly, who is overrated who is underrated ? Also what are the player likeness like for Ireland? Also there seems to be universal agreement that rugby challenge will be the superior game, but seeing as were all Irish on this wont it kind of suck having generic players representing Ireland in that game. Only 2 licensed teams, Wallabies and All Blacks

Apparently Stephen Ferris is black in the game, which shows how much effort they put into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

DylanJM wrote: »
    Apparently Stephen Ferris is black in the game, which shows how much effort they put into the game.

Seriously? Well if thats true that settles it Im not buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got this yesterday played one game against the computer and 4 or 5 against my brother

The game against the computer was on easy and it did seem like the AI was pretty dumb, hopefully knocking up the difficulty will solve this.
    I really enjoyed the two player games.

Just a quick note on gameplay mechanics (I guess these would be apparent in the demo though)

Rucks: Personally i think this is done really well, better than any game I've seen before (anyone remember taking poeple out and putting them back into the ruck in quick succesion in Lomu?! Terrible!). You tap A (X on PS i guess) to increase the intensity of your effort to get the ball, if you over do it you will give away a penalty.

Scrums: A bit dumbed down imo, but it works ok. Certainly not a gamebreaker. you press A to feed and X to hook. You only use the Analog for pushing. I really think they could have taken the same mechanism from the rucks.

Lineouts: Like the scrums, they are simplified to the last. You have three options : long medium and short and they are each assigned a button... that's it! Its impossible to see many turn overs in the lineout, its just too simple for the team with the ball. I would have liked to see a power bar for the hooker.

Kicks at goal: Eh seemed like a typical golf game style approach to this (press A to let the start, press A to set the power, press A to set accuracy) .. speaking of which would have pretty cool if they nicked the swing mechanism from the newer tiger woods (swing with the analog). It works fine, but I reckon it will be too easy once you get a bit of practise. I had almost a 100% record of the games i played which included very hard kicks... and I only played the game for the first time last night!

Kicking. Seemed decent, usual range of kicks (normal/garryowen/grubber/drop). Its touch to pick out space with kicks though as iirc correctly there is no mini map so you cant tell where the space is once its the off screen, which is well past where any half decent kicker can kick to. Drop kicks are pretty simple if you line it up right, If you are in the right position you cant miss!

Set pieces: its a nice inclusion, I didnt really get the hang of it last night, but it seemed decent enough.

I thought it was decent. Graphics are pretty crap, sometimes the camera is too far out to see whats going on, also iirc the guy with the ball doesnt have a marker on his head (at one stage me and brother went for a 50/50, both of us thought we got the ball and started going hell for leather for each others lines!, he got it :( ). Will be intersting to see how the other rugby game is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I got this yesterday played one game against the computer and 4 or 5 against my brother

The game against the computer was on easy and it did seem like the AI was pretty dumb, hopefully knocking up the difficulty will solve this.
    I really enjoyed the two player games.

Just a quick note on gameplay mechanics (I guess these would be apparent in the demo though)

Rucks: Personally i think this is done really well, better than any game I've seen before (anyone remember taking poeple out and putting them back into the ruck in quick succesion in Lomu?! Terrible!). You tap A (X on PS i guess) to increase the intensity of your effort to get the ball, if you over do it you will give away a penalty.

Scrums: A bit dumbed down imo, but it works ok. Certainly not a gamebreaker. you press A to feed and X to hook. You only use the Analog for pushing. I really think they could have taken the same mechanism from the rucks.

Lineouts: Like the scrums, they are simplified to the last. You have three options : long medium and short and they are each assigned a button... that's it! Its impossible to see many turn overs in the lineout, its just too simple for the team with the ball. I would have liked to see a power bar for the hooker.

Kicks at goal: Eh seemed like a typical golf game style approach to this (press A to let the start, press A to set the power, press A to set accuracy) .. speaking of which would have pretty cool if they nicked the swing mechanism from the newer tiger woods (swing with the analog). It works fine, but I reckon it will be too easy once you get a bit of practise. I had almost a 100% record of the games i played which included very hard kicks... and I only played the game for the first time last night!

Kicking. Seemed decent, usual range of kicks (normal/garryowen/grubber/drop). Its touch to pick out space with kicks though as iirc correctly there is no mini map so you cant tell where the space is once its the off screen, which is well past where any half decent kicker can kick to. Drop kicks are pretty simple if you line it up right, If you are in the right position you cant miss!

Set pieces: its a nice inclusion, I didnt really get the hang of it last night, but it seemed decent enough.

I thought it was decent. Graphics are pretty crap, sometimes the camera is too far out to see whats going on, also iirc the guy with the ball doesnt have a marker on his head (at one stage me and brother went for a 50/50, both of us thought we got the ball and started going hell for leather for each others lines!, he got it :( ). Will be intersting to see how the other rugby game is.

Agree with all your points there man.

Myself and the brother started the tournament as Ireland last night. First game against USA was on easy, and we demolished them something like 83-3 :D jumped it up to medium then - much much better. Made it through the semis just closing out England by 23-20 (best match so far, really had to take it to them on the last 10 mins). It's an Ireland vs France final now for tonight

Overall the gameplay is pretty good, better than what I was expecting. Graphics are piss poor though and nobody really looks like they do in real life (johnny sexton in particular looking like a guy who hangs around dark alleys waitin to flash people :D). Best way to play and a good challenge is to set 10 min halves at either medium or hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Better or worse than EA Rugby 08?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Better or worse than EA Rugby 08?

Worse imo. Less competitions and teams and the graphical step up isn't nearly as big as it should be. Having being an avid player of the EA Rugby series since Rugby 2005, the series was never that good - especially when you compare it to its EA Sports brothers. I was very disappointed with this game, it seems just to be a rehashed Rugby 08.

If you're desperate for a rugby game and you have a PS2, I'd advise picking up Rugby 08 as a stopgap before Rugby Challenge.

Advertisement