Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad Alternative ??

Options
  • 26-08-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi

I'm one of the many who have lost out on the recent deal for the HP Touchpad tablet.

Browsing around I see many 'cheaper' tablets on Amazon etc. I mean tablets in the £130-£200 range. I know that these tablets do not compare in performance etc with devices like the Touchpad/Ipad but I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience of these cheaper tablets for those of us who can't afford to buy €400-€600 devices. Are they any use? Is the resistive screen type any use?

Are any of them worth buying or should I just keep saving?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

maximus02 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm one of the many who have lost out on the recent deal for the HP Touchpad tablet.

Browsing around I see many 'cheaper' tablets on Amazon etc. I mean tablets in the £130-£200 range. I know that these tablets do not compare in performance etc with devices like the Touchpad/Ipad but I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience of these cheaper tablets for those of us who can't afford to buy €400-€600 devices. Are they any use? Is the resistive screen type any use?

Are any of them worth buying or should I just keep saving?

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would avoid resistive screens as they require more force to get an effect. Not a great thing on a tablet where you want light touches to type keys or navigate. Might be fine on a small cheap phone.

Asides from that, it really depends what you plan on using it for. If it going to be a netbook type device where you do light office work you might still be better off with a netbook as typing on a tablet will just frustrate you.

IF you plan on using it as a mid-sized internet device (between a smart phone and a laptop) that can play a bit of music, the odd movie and check facebook, then most of them can manage that. This is what I'm using my touchpad for. It's going to spend most of it's time on my desk, acting as a second screen to watch movies and play music.

Advertisement