Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Limerick's Compo Culture''

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

not just in limerick is compo culture

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I never said it was

amiable wrote: »
    I never said it was

i never said you did

So who are you saying said it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I came here for a good argument...... No you didn't.... Yes I did....... No you didn't.... Yes I did.... This is an argument..... No it isn't.... Yes it is ..... No it isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I remember hearing a story of some dude who got pissed on a saturday night, fell and broke his leg. Instead of going to the hospital he went home took a bucketload of pain killers and put his leg up and stayed that way all sunday. come monday morning he got a cab into town and staged a dramatic slip and fall outside a shop in william street. He got a couple of grand out of it. altough midlands said its not just a limk thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

MidlandsM wrote: »
    i never said you did

The limerick leader said it, can we move on you two :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think it is a number of years in a row now that Limerick has had the highest amount of compensation claims in Ireland.

Have no problem with the genuine cases, but there is a very large number of scammers in Limerick (and around the country) who constantly milk what they can.

There is one gentleman in Foynes, who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons, that is now ignored by locals as his stunt was to ask for a lift to the shop or town and then he would fall getting into or out of the car and claim against the car owner.

One of the radio stations highlighted him and a few of his family members a few years back. Think on his own he had tried to claim using his car trick close to a dozen times on locals, and a few more times to strangers by thumbing for a lift.

His family had an unusually high number of claims against shops, private residents etc to their names as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Really boils my blood, its because of scum like these that half the obstacles in cratloe were taken down, that there's very few playgrounds left around and noone will build facilities because the insurance will cost an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I worked with a girl once who when she started working at our company it emerged she lived close by another girl in the company who didn't drive.
    The girl who didn't drive asked the other girl if she could get a lift with her in the mornings. Seeing no problem with this she agreed.

The next morning she picked the girl up. The girl got in and as they are driving along she said "Do you own this car", to which the girl driving responed "Sure I do" and the other girl then asked "Do you have fully comp insurance on it", to which the girl driving responded "Yes I do".
    Then the girl passenger says "Great, if we have a crash I need to know you are properly insured and own the car in case I have to sue you".

Needless to say that was the last time the new girl gave her a lift.
    Word spread around the company and nobody ever gave that girl a lift again.
    In the end she learned to drive :)

This is what the world has become.
    Some people abuse it. Most people don't.
    Some Businesses / Schemes and the likes have never got off the ground because of Insurance.
    I don't think the mentality will ever change.
    I just hope people who have fraudulently made claims are prosecuted and dealt with firmly.

• Advertisement

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I worked with a girl once who when she started working at our company it emerged she lived close by another girl in the company who didn't drive.
    The girl who didn't drive asked the other girl if she could get a lift with her in the mornings. Seeing no problem with this she agreed.

The next morning she picked the girl up. The girl got in and as they are driving along she said "Do you own this car", to which the girl driving responed "Sure I do" and the other girl then asked "Do you have fully comp insurance on it", to which the girl driving responded "Yes I do".
    Then the girl passenger says "Great, if we have a crash I need to know you are properly insured and own the car in case I have to sue you".

Needless to say that was the last time the new girl gave her a lift.
    Word spread around the company and nobody ever gave that girl a lift again.
    In the end she learned to drive :)

This is what the world has become.
    Some people abuse it. Most people don't.
    Some Businesses / Schemes and the likes have never got off the ground because of Insurance.
    I don't think the mentality will ever change.
    I just hope people who have fraudulently made claims are prosecuted and dealt with firmly.
    W....T....F.....

What was she thinking saying that? What is wrong with her that she would even think that!

phill106 wrote: »
    The Limerick Leader didn't say it either :)(added to keep you happy)

exactly.........thats what i said, but amiable needs to go to specsavers;)

The Limerick Leader didn't say it either :)(added to keep you happy)

Finnnneee, if you want to be so pedantic as to differ between printed and saying it, they printed it. Or displayed via the http protocol a visual representation of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Is it true that the Limerick Leader fired all its printing Staff 2 weeks before Christmas last year so that the Planets thinest 4 page newspaper could be printed in the UK to save a few measly quid?

Couldn't be.

- They should be shunned if theres any truth in this - What Scum.

P.S. I wonder if Willie O'Dea had a hand in this?

I once worked with a Girl who had a 16 year old Scobe cycle onto her Bonnet (of Car not headwear) on the old Cork Rd. Went to Court and all despite him being so fcuking obvious about it......

Finnnneee, if you want to be so pedantic as to differ between printed and saying it, they printed it. Or displayed via the http protocol a visual representation of it.
    I wasn't being pedantic between the spoken and written word.

I was being pedantic in the fact that some people seem to have taken it up that it's only Limerick that has a 'compo culture'

IMO the article(which is a Limerick newspaper) is merely highlighting what is happening in the city where as some people as usual are jumping to the defence of the city needlessly.

CLassic example post #2

And for those that ask i have 20/20 vision thanks :D

Raiser wrote: »
    Is it true that the Limerick Leader fired all its printing Staff 2 weeks before Christmas last year so that the Planets thinest 4 page newspaper could be printed in the UK to save a few measly quid?

Couldn't be.

- They should be shunned if theres any truth in this - What Scum.

P.S. I wonder if Willie O'Dea had a hand in this?

I once worked with a Girl who had a 16 year old Scobe cycle onto her Bonnet (of Car not headwear) on the old Cork Rd. Went to Court and all despite him being so fcuking obvious about it......
    I think i read before that it's printed somewhere like Armagh

Not 100% on that though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Limerick Leader & Limerick Chronicle.

typeset, graphics,etc. = Leeds, England.

Printing = Portadown, NI.

Local paper my arse! and yes they did do that to the printing staff just prior to Christmas last year.

europa11 wrote: »
    Limerick Leader & Limerick Chronicle.

typeset, graphics,etc. = Leeds, England.

Printing = Portadown, NI.

Local paper my a+se! and yes they did do that to the printing staff just prior to Christmas last year.
    Is there a local paper in Limerick anymore?

PS, you are allowed say 'arse' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

scholar007 wrote: »
    Not very bright, is he?

Probably from repeatedly slipping and falling on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I guess the saying is true, no point crying over spilled milk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Why are people like that afforded anonymity?, he was caught on camera, obviously trying to get a handy compo claim, yet he can still feck off and try it on elsewhere as his identity is protected.

It might be of some benefit to him to have his i.d. revealed anyway. Royalty payments from "Irelands Dumbest Criminals" can't be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Why are people like that afforded anonymity?, he was caught on camera, obviously trying to get a handy compo claim, yet he can still feck off and try it on elsewhere as his identity is protected.

It might be of some benefit to him to have his i.d. revealed anyway. Royalty payments from "Irelands Dumbest Criminals" can't be that bad.

Yeah that is a part of the legal system that really bugs me.

He is caught on camera clearly trying to create a situation when he can gain through simulating an accident, basically fraudulant behaviour., and the store proprietor is confident enough that the person made threats of legal action which would have been based on his fake accident.

The guy attempted fraud but thanks to the legal system is free to go and do the same thing elsewhere as any distinguishing features have to be blurred for fear of him taking legal action despite him being in the wrong to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Afaik the Post isnt printed in Limerick either or at least it wasnt when I was working there.

Leader let a lot of good decent hard workers go with no gratitude for building the company up to what it was at its peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

You can be sure that most shops will have his picture posted in their canteens, as if anyone here will have missed the story anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Why are people like that afforded anonymity?, he was caught on camera, obviously trying to get a handy compo claim.

Isn't it unfortunately obvious,
    He's a criminal.....This is Ireland.

Advertisement