Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Way Cycling Lanes

• 26-08-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I want to clarify something to resolve an arguement: when there is a wide cycle lane on only one side of the road (where I most often use it, on the road parallel to Blackhorse Ave in the Phoenix Park), is it ok to use the lane in both directions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

starringme wrote: »
    I want to clarify something to resolve an arguement: when there is a wide cycle lane on only one side of the road (where I most often use it, on the road parallel to Blackhorse Ave in the Phoenix Park), is it ok to use the lane in both directions?
    Only if it's designated as a two-way cycle lane. Looking at google maps, this lane is not a two-way cycle lane, so no it's not legal to ride against the flow of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

There is a distinction between 'lanes' with broken lines, and those with continuous lines. For continuous lines read mandatory.

As most users here seem to advise - base your decision on whether to use a lane or not makes you safer or less safe. Utilise accordingly.

Gov't plans to drop the ridiculousness

April 20th Deputy Seán Crowe info.gif zoom.gif asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport info.gif zoom.gif his plans to remove the mandatory use requirement for cycle lanes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8612/11]
    Deputy Leo Varadkar: info.gif zoom.gif This is an easy one. The Deputy asks if there are plans to remove the mandatory use requirement for cycle lanes. The removal of the requirement to use cycle lanes where provided is one of the undertakings in the national cycle policy framework. Subject to finalising some safety aspects of the proposal, I hope to make the necessary amending regulations later in the year.
    <A name=N4>Where a cycle lane is provided, cyclists are required to use it, even if it is damaged or in a bad condition or inappropriate to use it. The Government agrees that the regulation should be changed and it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

seamus wrote: »
    Only if it's designated as a two-way cycle lane. Looking at google maps, this lane is not a two-way cycle lane, so no it's not legal to ride against the flow of traffic.

And Point No.2- if it's inside the Phoenix Park, standard traffic regulations don't apply. The roads in the PP are private rather than part of the public road network.

EDIT: I see from Google Streetview that the cycle track on North Road is south of the road, although the bike symbol on the ground is pointing the wrong way for it to be a with-flow (or with-flow-only) track.

As I understand it, the cycle tracks in the Park are notionally two-way everywhere. (Someone needs to tell The Whistleblower.)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=phoenix+park+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.367259,-6.327245&spn=0.000001,0.00154&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.502405,67.587891&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.367259,-6.327245&panoid=SKvcQxRKnODqoVVcDTvahg&cbp=12,185.65,,0,11.68

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    And Point No.2- if it's inside the Phoenix Park, standard traffic regulations don't apply. The roads in the PP are private rather than part of the public road network.
    Really? That would seem...odd.

It would still count as a "public place" for the purposes of the road traffic act, so most of the mandatory regulations regarding control of traffic, safe speed, insurance so forth would still apply. But it means that things like road markings and signage would be irrelevant and can be disregarded.

So contrary to my post, if the park roads are not public roads, then the cycle lane is effectively meaningless and you can cycle on it in whatever direction you like. In fact you don't have to use it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see people cycling the wrong way up cycle lanes all the time. OK, so some cyclists don't pay much attention to the ROTR anyway, but it would be helpful if the council painted arrows beside the bike symbols on the lanes to reinforce that they are one-way lanes.

• Advertisement

I don't think it would make that much of a difference tbh. You see people cycling against the flow of traffic even where there isn't any kind of cycle lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

starringme wrote: »

Cycling the wrong way, on the wrong side of the road, on a cycle lane is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bicycle. Doing this is associated with an up to 12 fold increase in the risk of being in collision with a car at every side road. Junctions already account for 75% of collisions.

Think about it - entering motorists arent looking where you are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Well whatever way it's done the way the picture of the bike is facing on the ground surely has no standing, say if you join it later etc.

This has been disputed here before but even if it's only a metter of byelaws I'd be fairly sure Phoneix Park Lanes are two way and so they should be as otherwise you'd have to make some fairly hairy crossing to be on the right side

Advertisement