Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best gift you received for baby and/or mother?

Options
  • 26-08-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My best friend is six months pregnant with a girl. I'd like to get both something special. I don't have a huge budget so something not crazily expensive would be ideal.

I'd love to hear suggestions from women who've been there - What was the best gift you received for yourself and/or baby? What really made you smile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We got a 'baby hoodie' from morrck.com that we loved, especially good seeing as she'll be due in winter. The one we got was basically like a fleece and it fits into the car seat with holes for the straps.

It meant every time we went out there was no messing around with coats or snow suits, just had the blanket in the seat that went around her. Everyone used to comment on how cosy she looked. I'd almost like one for myself!

Steer clear of frames or flat baby blankets cause she'll probably get loads of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

A sling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A gliding rocking chair. We still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

a baby sleeping bag. I'd never heard of them before but it was so useful, I've bought loads of them since and we're still using them. I give them as baby presents to people now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The travel cot and with 2 the "baby jail" mm play pen;)
    To protect the baby from the toddlers!!

My best friend also made up a hamper with baby wipes,baby towel,soother,soother holder,nappy cream etc in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

My sister got me a CD from here - it has lullaby versions of songs by AC/DC, Bjork, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc etc. She said something like "so the baby learns good music from the start!" or something along those lines when I got it. I thought it was a great present and definitely made me smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

janmc wrote: »
    My sister got me a CD from here - it has lullaby versions of songs by AC/DC, Bjork, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc etc. She said something like "so the baby learns good music from the start!" or something along those lines when I got it. I thought it was a great present and definitely made me smile!

I have the Pearl Jam one of these for my little one. She's either going to love them or absolutely detest them when she grows up :)

My friend bought me a lovely blanket with my daughters name and date of birth on it. I use is every day and hopefully she'll have it forever. Just don't buy clothes, they are a waste of time for newborns as they grow out of them so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i got a big box with nappies wipes bottles grooming set soothers teethers .. my friend just went mad buying random stuff . . it was great though cos she stuck a nagin of henessey in there too for me (at least i hope it was :eek: :D)for when he was weaned ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

sillysocks wrote: »
    We got a 'baby hoodie' from morrck.com that we loved, especially good seeing as she'll be due in winter. The one we got was basically like a fleece and it fits into the car seat with holes for the straps.

It meant every time we went out there was no messing around with coats or snow suits, just had the blanket in the seat that went around her. Everyone used to comment on how cosy she looked. I'd almost like one for myself!

Steer clear of frames or flat baby blankets cause she'll probably get loads of them!

I've just ordered one of these for my best friend! :) Anyone know how long it takes for them to deliver? I may have left it a little late ... She's due tomorrow! :o

Still can't think of anything to get for the mammy! Anyone got suggestions for something nice but cheap (less than €20)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Its 14 years ago now but I still remember it as not only the best mum/baby gift but best gift ever.

My cousin worked in a office and got friendly with the girl who came in to clean the office each evening. Asked her did she do house cleaning, She got her to come to me 3 times when my son was born, I think it as about 3 hours each time. Best pressy ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I went into labour early. At best I had my bag packed. I hadnt cleaned the house or anything.

My best friend came over while I was in hospital, cleaned my house from top to bottom, put together the crib. Put all the baby clothes in a set of drawers...everything, best present ever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I went into labour early. At best I had my bag packed. I hadnt cleaned the house or anything.

My best friend came over while I was in hospital, cleaned my house from top to bottom, put together the crib. Put all the baby clothes in a set of drawers...everything, best present ever.

Oh God that would be my worst nightmare :o I'd hate to think of anyone coming in and cleaning my house..

Sorry but the thought of someone going through my stuff and all that just irks me.. My OH wanted to get his Sister in to clean my house when I was in for a full week after my C section and I lost the plot with him..

I had left the house spotless but of course men being men, by the time I was ready to come home it was a tip again :rolleyes: I told him to leave it and I'd do it myself.

Maybe I'm just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Dinner! I got a bag from a friend with IKEA meatballs and Mash and a big box of cookies, a jigsaw for the older 2 to do while i fed the baby and a tube of hand cream - totally necessary as you wash your hands so much more of you have a baby.
    best pressie ever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

xzanti wrote: »
    Oh God that would be my worst nightmare :o I'd hate to think of anyone coming in and cleaning my house..

Sorry but the thought of someone going through my stuff and all that just irks me.. My OH wanted to get his Sister in to clean my house when I was in for a full week after my C section and I lost the plot with him..

I had left the house spotless but of course men being men, by the time I was ready to come home it was a tip again :rolleyes: I told him to leave it and I'd do it myself.

Maybe I'm just weird.

I would hate for a cleaning company to do it, but my best friend is different, she's unshockable!

Advertisement