Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucosamine

• 26-08-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

My old dog is starting to show her age, I think. She's slowed down a lot on walks but I'm not 100% sure why; I think it's age, OH thinks that she's trailing behind looking for food (she is a terrible scavanger).

In case it is her joints I wanted to start giving her glucosamine. I nearly had a heart attack at the price of the Pedigree Joint care treats (circa €15 for 7!), so I picked up a bottle of human tablets (circa €4 for 30), but I want to make sure of the dose I give her. She's a 9kg terrier, would a quarter of a tablet be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Probably best to check with your vet what is the correct dosage. Also to see what is the best way for you to go to manage the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It might be worth asking the vet about metacam as well, I've a 17 year old half german shepherd and his quality of life has dramatically improved since he has been on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Those pedigree arent worth a damn so stay away from them.

Im not sure on the dosage as they are human ones but would you not try and get a dog version of the oil maybe? Are there any pet shops or horse tack shops in your area as that would be the best and most economical place to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just to be clear; she is in no pain. She lags behind from about half way on walks, even short ones, but she's well able to take a flying leap onto the sofa.

I just got the human pills just because I was thinking of taking them myself (stupid clicky knee). I'll try find something in the petshop, it'd just be handy to be able to give her the same ones as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lodris

Holland and Barrett do an animal version why don't you compare the ingredients and mg dosage to the human ones you bought or even the other ones in the store as thy do them in different dosage 500mg/1000mg glucosamine.

I used to give my lab x them after he broke his leg and he was fine

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=697&prodid=740&sid=0

Link to online store they have a breakdown of the dog and human tablets on it so you don't even have to go to the store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I give my guy 2 joint supplments (he has a hock deformity). He was on metacam for a few months until I combined the two of these:
    Luposan Pellets - they do a powder one thats's cheaper too but the pellets are stronger and I really say an improvment with the pellets
    Flexicose - if you take a look at the page it shows the ingrediants/doseage so you might get any idea. I give him 1/8 oz and he's 29kgs. (Pet and Human flexicose is the same just a different label - it has a berry flavor lol).
    Both say on the packaging that you can double the dose if needed so I don't think you can overdose but best check with a vet.
    Arthriaid is another one that I've seen recommended but just looking at it there online it works out the same for me as Flexicose cos of my guy's size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Found out online that the dose for dogs up to 25lbs (US)/ 11kg is 500mg, which is what's in the tablets I got. I might just give her half of one with her dinner everyday and see how she gets on.

Advertisement