Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on cycling position.

• 26-08-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭

have been getting bad pains in my lower back while on long spins 100k+and also for a few days after.not looking for medical advice but any advice out there about changes in riding position would be much appriciated.cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Work on your core muscles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mick121 wrote: »
    have been getting bad pains in my lower back while on long spins 100k+and also for a few days after.not looking for medical advice but any advice out there about changes in riding position would be much appriciated.cheers

Raise the handlebars by using more spacers if there are some above the stem or flipping the stem upside down. If not applicable, get a new shorter and higher rise stem.

Also you can try moving the saddle forward on the rails and if it is forward all the way you can see if there are options to adjust the setback of the seatpost.

These options have downsides for handling and other areas like wrists, shoulders and knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mick121

thanks raam,any advice on exercise for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

A bike fit might be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

mick121 wrote: »
    thanks raam,any advice on exercise for that

TBH, you are best to see a physical therapist to get specific advice on what exercises to do. Pilates would also help you. I get a sore lower back and I have been doing both to try and improve my situation. It seems to have helped.

• Advertisement

cheers id,got bars raised and will def move saddle as i have room

rt,bike fit out for moment as money is tight.some posters on boards were quoting over 80 euro for fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Hi Mick,

It could be any number of things, in my experience saddle too high or too far back, stem too long or too low can lead to lower back pain. However it could be something totally different.

My advice would be to get someone experienced in bike fit to take a look at your position. If your just starting out on the bike it's important not to step up the milage too dramatically. Also as RAAM pointed out good core strength & flexibility will help avoid these issues. But best to get a physio to take a look.

Tight hamstrings can pull on your lower back causing pain, but without looking at you it's really hard to tell.

Best of luck,

Skeff

thanks for all the advice,i will def work on my core and will move saddle later today.put 20mil spacer on bars already.looking forward to many more miles pain free.any other thoughts are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had bad back pain until I moved my saddle position forward, a lot.

Now I'm more powerful and more aerodynamic, and my arms hurt, and I have major IT band issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

When riding keep checking for your elbows to be bent and your grip relaxed. You would be surprised how tight grip and poker straight arms transmit to tension of the back muscles. Combine that with a few adjustments mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 DCU lad

probably start off raising your bars so youre sitting more upright, alternate between the drops hoods, tops. in and out of the saddle and stretch & move about when youre on the bike . loop nearer to home on the longer spins towards the end so you can head in if your back starts to hurt.

basic exercises: http://www.ehow.com/video_2351308_the-prone-cobra-superman-alternating.html
    you wanna have a mirror to make sure your keeping your back straight and keep your core tight

specific stretch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5PwwkTc8n0

then more stretching ... weights... proper bike fit

thanks dcu and everyone else.the advice is much needed and all will be considered.if anyone has anything else to add please feel free as i need all the help i can get.really enjoy the cycles but not fond of the back pain.

Advertisement