Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of an odd query??

Options
  • 26-08-2011 11:43am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am posting this on behalf of a friend as they want to know exactly where they stand.

This person is getting a bit of a rough time in their job.... now I have advised them how to handle the majority of it however one issue is outstanding.

They work for a pretty big company that have branches all over the country.
    In their workplace last week a sum of money is unaccounted for on a day that they were in work (although they didnt handle cash)..... Now she was asked by her boss to pay x amount of it back and it was not been brought to the companies notice.
    She informed me that a colleague who wasnt even in work on the day in question is also been asked for the money. So I got her to check her contract and the contract clearly states that any shortages in cash are going to be deducted from their wages.

What approach should they take to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I am posting this on behalf of a friend as they want to know exactly where they stand.

This person is getting a bit of a rough time in their job.... now I have advised them how to handle the majority of it however one issue is outstanding.

They work for a pretty big company that have branches all over the country.
    In their workplace last week a sum of money is unaccounted for on a day that they were in work (although they didnt handle cash)..... Now she was asked by her boss to pay x amount of it back and it was not been brought to the companies notice.
    She informed me that a colleague who wasnt even in work on the day in question is also been asked for the money. So I got her to check her contract and the contract clearly states that any shortages in cash are going to be deducted from their wages.

What approach should they take to this?

Is the money a large amount? Generally that clause would refer to petty cash only. Are they asking everyone to pay a small amount if it? As in share the burden.

I would advise your friend get on to head office and ask for an enquiry if they believe they are being singled out. Seems the manager may be trying to pull a fast one and if she pays she is essentially admitting guilt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is the money a large amount? Generally that clause would refer to petty cash only. Are they asking everyone to pay a small amount if it? As in share the burden.

I would advise your friend get on to head office and ask for an enquiry if they believe they are being singled out. Seems the manager may be trying to pull a fast one and if she pays she is essentially admitting guilt.

Its not a large amount at all. Like they have camera's on the tills and apparently investigated it but could not find where the money went to. All the staff have been rang while off work over the weekend to tell them they must pay a share in it even tho some people werent working when the money went missing.

The money coupled with other issues do point to her been singled out for no reason other than the boss hates her. Like they have told her that she was required for a meeting about her work and that it must take place while she is off eating her lunch which is odd in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Do they have a union? such issues as cash shortfalls in contracts usually cover small shortages in their till but nothing less that 2euro for example.

If its your immediate boss then I would go to head office with everyone who was made pay the money specfically those who were not working and report such the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I worked in a cinema in a certain town.

My till was short €200 one day. After being kept back for several hours and going over the CCTV twice, my boss said I would have to pay the money out of my own pocket. I even agreed to it (as it was my till).

Just as I was about to go to the ATM the asshole covered his face and said "oh.. damn.." .. turns out someone turned off the next till before the day-end process was run.

The computer added the amount (€200) that should have been (and was) in the next till to the amount in my till. Meaning the computer system overstated the amount in my till by €200.

Your friend should not pay a cent until the missing money is accounted for.

<tongue in cheek>In fact, she should insist on the matter being reported to the gardai as it could possibly amount to fraud. She should also suggest to the manager that NERA should be informed of this practice, and also that the company's auditor should be made aware of the breach of internal controls.</tongue in cheek>

Advertisement