Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar Powered Fencer

• 26-08-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Is there anyone here using a solar powered fencer? Or indeed using a solar panel successfully to power a battery fencer? I have an 8 acre field away from the house. There is no power on site.

I intend to put up one strand of HT elec wire around it and will want to subdivide it occasionally aswel with MS wire from time to time.

Can anyone recommend a good solar powered fencer? I don't know the first thing about them!

Thanks!

P.S. I already have two good battery fencers,could I get a solar panels to power these or is a success?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Got one of these this year, fairly pleased with it so far. Output is similar or better to a battery fencer. These suppliers are about as cheap as you will get; if you're ordering one off them, order a bit more stuff as well such as doses or something, take advantage of free postage.

http://www.farmrite.co.uk/product/128327/Rutland-Solar-Powered-Fencer-ESS610

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

MfMan wrote: »
    Got one of these this year, fairly pleased with it so far. Output is similar or better to a battery fencer.
    http://www.farmrite.co.uk/product/128327/Rutland-Solar-Powered-Fencer-ESS610

Thanks MFman

Follwoed the link. Seems they'I do 2km in low vegetation or 800m in high veg. The mains electric around the border will run to 800m on its own and because its running along beside a hedge, it's bound to have the odd briar hitting off it.

This fencer may therefore not be sufficent, but I'I look to see what the next one up from this is like. Thanks again.

Btw, have you used yours to power HT wire or just on polywire ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

give this crowd a ring monday , their stuff is usually ok

http://www.stradballyfarmservices.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Muckit wrote: »
    Thanks MFman

Follwoed the link. Seems they'I do 2km in low vegetation or 800m in high veg. The mains electric around the border will run to 800m on its own and because its running along beside a hedge, it's bound to have the odd briar hitting off it.

This fencer may therefore not be sufficent, but I'I look to see what the next one up from this is like. Thanks again.

Btw, have you used yours to power HT wire or just on polywire ??

Just on polywire, about a 400m span in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 heineken1

Well Muckit,
    Did you purchase a solar powered fencer. Looking into it myself at mo as we have a 10 acre field away from power source and sick of replacing batteries for fencer. Don't know a whole lot about these,any ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

heineken1 wrote: »
    Well Muckit,
    Did you purchase a solar powered fencer. Looking into it myself at mo as we have a 10 acre field away from power source and sick of replacing batteries for fencer. Don't know a whole lot about these,any ideas.

We use a car battery and just recharge it twice during the summer. Our fencer can be turned down once cattle are trained and we keep briars etc cut back. Fencer and battery goes into a mini plastic barrel with a clip on lid.

heineken1 wrote: »
    Well Muckit,

I didn't lad.... bit of a change in plan.

I thinking of sheep + 2row of barbed now instead around the outside. It'I be expensive, but 100% stock proof and will give me the option to let sheep on it for a few months over the winter.

The battery fencer should be able to power the internal divisions.

I must still look into it. I would prefer to get a separate solar panel(s) to power the ones I have. No point havin' the place full of fencers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I didn't lad.... bit of a change in plan.

I thinking of sheep + 2row of barbed now instead around the outside. It'I be expensive, but 100% stock proof and will give me the option to let sheep on it for a few months over the winter.

The battery fencer should be able to power the internal divisions.

I must still look into it. I would prefer to get a separate solar panel(s) to power the ones I have. No point havin' the place full of fencers!!

2 rows of barbed wire wont stop sheep am afraid Muckit. :(

You would have more chance of stopping em with 2 rows of electric fence - but that only adds to your woes ;)

2 rows of barbed wire wont stop sheep am afraid Muckit. :(

2 rows of barbed on top of sheep wire... no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

2 rows of barbed on top of sheep wire... no?

Ah - my bad, sorry Muckit ... I read it as "am getting sheep, so 2 rows of barbed wire" Not sure how I read it as that, now I re-read it...

3 o clock slump... ;)

Sheep wire + 1 row of barbed on top will hold em I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement