Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Curry (Indian)

Options
  • 26-08-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on a good paste to use for a nice Indian Beef Curry.

I've had a look at Curry Addicts recipie over in the cooking club forum and will def be trying that when I have a little more time.

Basically my brother and his wife will be visiting tonight and I had planned on a beef curry - Indian if possible. I am hoping to include coconut milk in the recipie and possible tinned tomatoes, amongst other things!

Unfortunately I don't have time this evening to pick up all the spices required to make a curry from scratch so am looking for suggestions on a good paste/powder.

Any simple recipies would be greatle accepted too..!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i suggest using my recipe with a shop bought curry powder. it should still work pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

i suggest using my recipe with a shop bought curry powder. it should still work pretty well.

Excellent. Thanks.!

Just so I'm clear - you are recommending using a shop bought curry powder as a substitute for your malaysian spice mix?
    Any particular one that you would recommend?

And follow the main recipie otherwise I assume.

I actually picked up a bag of Indian Spice mix in Aldi yesterday.
    I'm considering including this somehow, not sure if I should use it along with curry powder/paste or on its own.
    There is not musch info on what it is made for on the pack!

Is the palm sugar/Fish Sauce/Oyster Sauce vital?? I'll pick them up if they are going to make a difference.

Finally as its a beef curry, I assume I substitute the chicken stock with beef stock?

Sorry for all the questions.:o

Cheers.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Excellent. Thanks.!

Just so I'm clear - you are recommending using a shop bought curry powder as a substitute for your malaysian spice mix?
    Any particular one that you would recommend?

And follow the main recipie otherwise I assume.

I actually picked up a bag of Indian Spice mix in Aldi yesterday.
    I'm considering including this somehow, not sure if I should use it along with curry powder/paste or on its own.
    There is not musch info on what it is made for on the pack!

Is the palm sugar/Fish Sauce/Oyster Sauce vital?? I'll pick them up if they are going to make a difference.

Finally as its a beef curry, I assume I substitute the chicken stock with beef stock?

Sorry for all the questions.:o

Cheers.

i cant recommend a shop bought brand as i never use them :)
    the aldi one is probably grand but only use it to sub for the malaysian spice mix.
    u can use salt instead of fish sauce but be carefull and add a little at a time and taste.
    u can use normal white sugar instead of palm sugar.
    oyster sauce is a must have....
    use chicken stock even with beef.
    if you keep the balance similar to the recipe it should work our very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

the aldi one is probably grand but only use it to sub for the malaysian spice mix.
    u can use salt instead of fish sauce but be carefull and add a little at a time and taste.

Cheers. Thats a great help.

I'll belt away with the indian spice mix and see how it goes.

I'll report on the other thread when I get around to making your other recipie.

Thanks again.:)

np hope it works out well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

W123-80's wrote: »

Cheers. Thats a great help.

I'll belt away with the indian spice mix and see how it goes.

I'll report on the other thread when I get around to making your other recipie.

Thanks again.:)
    You can't get much better than Green Saffron's spice mixes

duploelabs wrote: »
    You can't get much better than Green Saffron's spice mixes

blend your own imho :)

Advertisement