Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Beaches close to waterford

• 26-08-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm looking for a quiet beach where I can walk my dogs somewhere close to Waterford. I was thinking Woodstown but if there was any other isolated beaches close by it would be great. I just want to be able to let them loose off these leads with out the opportunity of meeting other dogs, as there excitement levels go throw the roof when they see other dogs.

Even any beaches on the Wexford side would be fine.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Loads of people walk on Woodstown beach with/out their dogs. Letting dogs loose on a beach is illegal as far as I know. Try one of the back beaches on back road from tramore, good chance you could have one of those places to yourself and your dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Fairly sure its illegal on most beaches now to let the dog off the lead. The dog warden( I heard) used to patrol woodstown fairly regularly. Most of the beeches around you'll definitely bump into people walking dogs around.Used to bring the dog to woodstown myself when was living closer and was rare not to bum[p into someone. Only beech I could think of that would be fairly quiet would be bunmahon when the summers over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

creaden beach is close to woodstown and would be very quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Id say your best bet would be ballymacaw, or kilfarrasy if your lucky. Or there is a small beach on the coast road, between bunmahon and annestown, with a scenic lookout over it. Cant think of the name of it right now, but that may be worth a try

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its illegal alight, only way to ensure you'll meet nobody is go super crazy early in the morning....even then many people go for walks early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Didn't actually know it was illegal, I was at Portmarnock beach a couple of weeks ago and there were dogs running around everywhere. Thanks for the suggestions I will check them out. I will be going early in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Try Saleens beach, It is a lovely beach only trouble is sometimes you get travellers around there on there horses. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Id say your best bet would be ballymacaw, or kilfarrasy if your lucky. Or there is a small beach on the coast road, between bunmahon and annestown, with a scenic lookout over it. Cant think of the name of it right now, but that may be worth a try

Kilmurrin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dollar Bay and Booley bay are usually fairly quiet, head across the ferry and head towards The Hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Cabaal wrote: »
    , only way to ensure you'll meet nobody is go super crazy early in the morning....

Why does he have to go super crazy? And if he does go crazy why does it have to be in the morning?
    And what the fuck has going crazy got to do with walking dogs?
    Actually, what are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

c - 13 wrote: »
    Kilmurrin ?

Thats the boyo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

There's a sign on most of the beaches telling you what times you can let the dog off on, I think that one of my beaches is something like 10-6 for the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

longshanks wrote: »
    Cabaal wrote: »
    , only way to ensure you'll meet nobody is go super crazy early in the morning....

Why does he have to go super crazy? And if he does go crazy why does it have to be in the morning?
    And what the fu[SIZE="2"]c[/SIZE]k has going crazy got to do with walking dogs?
    Actually, what are you on about?

Are you for real or having a laugh?!

Clearly by "super crazy early" he means "very very early".

I recommend two chill pills and you'll feel much better in the morning... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Are you for real or having a laugh?!

Clearly by "super crazy early" he means "very very early".

I recommend two chill pills and you'll feel much better in the morning... ;)

Chill pills you say?
    Where can I get them, in 1996 perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Junior wrote: »
    There's a sign on most of the beaches telling you what times you can let the dog off on, I think that one of my beaches is something like 10-6 for the summer months.
    You have a beach.? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

seanybiker wrote: »
    Junior wrote: »
    You have a beach.? :pac:

One needs a couple of them to have a quiet walk away from ones family occasionally.

Toddle pip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

longshanks wrote: »
    Chill pills you say?
    Where can I get them, in 1996 perhaps?

Not my fault you leapt in with two feet to attack the guy without reading his post properly... I'm sure they're still widely available if you make an appointment with your GP to discuss your excessive anger/defensiveness issues... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

creadan is a very quiet baach and fairly remote, id often go there myself to walk the dog lack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Kilfarassey or Trá na mBó out by Bunmahon would be a good bet I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

I and many many others walk our dogs on Tramore beach every day.

When the tide is out theres loads of space for them to run around. And its legal to walk your dog from the car park below the toilets, any time of the day. I've never seen anybody have any hassle. Of course you are responsible that your dog doesn't annoy people who are just out for a walk.

Another fantastic place to walk him is just out the Cork road. before you come to the Holy Cross pub theres an unused IDA site on the right hand side heading out. About 50 acres of tended fields ( the grass is always cut!). Always loads of people walking out there. And the IDA have a sign up there saying its OK except clean up after your dog poops. Smashing place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Godsentme wrote: »
    I and many many others walk our dogs on Tramore beach every day.

When the tide is out theres loads of space for them to run around. And its legal to walk your dog from the car park below the toilets, any time of the day. I've never seen anybody have any hassle. Of course you are responsible that your dog doesn't annoy people who are just out for a walk.

Another fantastic place to walk him is just out the Cork road. before you come to the Holy Cross pub theres an unused IDA site on the right hand side heading out. About 50 acres of tended fields ( the grass is always cut!). Always loads of people walking out there. And the IDA have a sign up there saying its OK except clean up after your dog poops. Smashing place.

Must take a look at that place on the cork road with the doggie, it sounds very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Yeah deisedave, just after the round about about 500 mtrs. I was delighted i was told about it. no parking problems even. So handy.

saleens is a bit hard on the feet at times, and of course you have those chaps excersising horses. yer car wouldn't be safe neither.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up on Kilmurrin beach. Lovely cove and not a sinner around at 8:30 Saturday morning. Lovely country side down there.

Advertisement